V-strom(ers) get in here

2talltim

I haven't had my Vee for very long but it been long enought to know, I HATE THE SEAT!. I'm a tall heavy guy and after only 30 of 40 miles or so my tailbone is sreaming " get off of me!". So I want to buy or have a custom seat built have any of you heard the good, bad and ugly about aftermarket seats and or custom jobs. There are about a dozen different option out there ill list some of them when I get home today. Also what do you have and if your local enough do you mind if I throw a leg over your to try it out. Don't really have a budget just want the best bang for my buck, I've seen them between $180 for a Suzuki gel to $380 for a Sargent...and GO!

My Vstrom is one of the few bikes that I've had that I really like the factory seat on.........Seats are very subjective, what's good for one, is bad for another. Like ergo's, windshields, etc.

Hands down, the best aftermarket seat I've ever owned was made by Baldwin, several friends have them, and they like them also...

http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/

After 15 min on the stock seat I experienced pain akin to prison rape. I went with the gel seat and it was a great improvement for the money. It is available for you to try and it is also for sale if you are interested.

If you like it then why is it for sale?

After 15 min on the stock seat I experienced pain akin to prison rape. I went with the gel seat and it was a great improvement for the money. It is available for you to try and it is also for sale if you are interested.

whats your price tag say? and i would like to sqat over that corbin too and give it a feel.

My main problen with the stock seat is, since my legs are so long i sit to the back of the saddle and my knees are high so that means non of the weight is on the back of my legs or lower butox, it's all on my tail bone.

if you dont want the expense of the Corbin/Sargent or whatever aftermarket is available I would send it Spencer at A Great Day To Ride. I've heard nothing but great things and I'm actually sending my seat out to him today

alright... finally a question tailor made for me.... i have tried a boatload of seats...

the stock 650 is horrible... it works...sort of, but it just plain hurts... for my around town and shorter jaunts I use a stock 1000 seat with a alaska sheepskin over it... it actually works really well for at least a couple hours.

I tried a corbin and while it was comfortable, it was excessively slippery and I didn't like flying into the tank all the time...

I also tried out and a gel seat, and I found it no more comfortable than my 1000 seat with the sheepskin... it might work for you, but it had odd pressure points that I did not enjoy.

I cannot recall for the life of me if I tried a sargent, I don't think I have, but I recall it was slippery like the corbin and I don't like really shifting that much.

For my long distance seat, I bit the bullet and got on the winter group discount a Russell custom seat. I got the "gripper" vinyl half moon for both the driver & passenger, I also got the heavy duty suspension. I did have to send it back once for modification due to the pocket being too far back and the seat being way too high. Now that it is done up, it is awesome and I can go as long as I want. Usually my butt dosen't tire out anymore, I quit riding because I'm just physically spent... but I can pretty much ride as long as I want too. The russell was about 550 with the two configuration, but i think you can get the 1 person somewhere around 380/400... depending on when you buy ... etc.

I do recommend going the custom route, I spent countless hours and $$$ screwing around with half ass attempts at getting it comfortable, and the russell has been money well spent.

Edited by mike884

if you dont want the expense of the Corbin/Sargent or whatever aftermarket is available I would send it Spencer at A Great Day To Ride. I've heard nothing but great things and I'm actually sending my seat out to him today

Ive already talked to him, he just does a hollow out with replacement gel/supractor stuff i need a different angle and a deeper rearward cup. I f kept the TL i would have sent it to him but the Vee needs a bit more.

Ive already talked to him, he just does a hollow out with replacement gel/supractor stuff i need a different angle and a deeper rearward cup. I f kept the TL i would have sent it to him but the Vee needs a bit more.

ah gotcha. I know it depends on the seat shape on all he can do, on mine he is changing it a bit so I stop sliding right up against the tank

alright... finally a question tailor made for me.... i have tried a boatload of seats...

the stock 650 is horrible... it works...sort of, but it just plain hurts... for my around town and shorter jaunts I use a stock 1000 seat with a alaska sheepskin over it... it actually works really well for at least a couple hours.

I tried a corbin and while it was comfortable, it was excessively slippery and I didn't like flying into the tank all the time...

I also tried out and a gel seat, and I found it no more comfortable than my 1000 seat with the sheepskin... it might work for you, but it had odd pressure points that I did not enjoy.

I cannot recall for the life of me if I tried a sargent, I don't think I have, but I recall it was slippery like the corbin and I don't like really shifting that much.

For my long distance seat, I bit the bullet and got on the winter group discount a Russell custom seat. I got the "gripper" vinyl half moon for both the driver & passenger, I also got the heavy duty suspension. I did have to send it back once for modification due to the pocket being too far back and the seat being way too high. Now that it is done up, it is awesome and I can go as long as I want. Usually my butt dosen't tire out anymore, I quit riding because I'm just physically spent... but I can pretty much ride as long as I want too. The russell was about 550 with the two configuration, but i think you can get the 1 person somewhere around 380/400... depending on when you buy ... etc.

I do recommend going the custom route, I spent countless hours and $$$ screwing around with half ass attempts at getting it comfortable, and the russell has been money well spent.

i did look at the Russel day Longs but his website seems to be down dont know what going on there, here was a custom i was leaning towards http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-BUCKET-SEAT-SUZUKI-V-STROM-DL650-DL1000-style-1-/190792324682?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6c1bd64a&vxp=mtr

and call him to see if he can cup the back of the seat more and take away a little of the passenger area

Sorry can't help. Stock seat, for 6 years and I just stand up if my ars starts to get tired. :)

that would be mile 10 for me:wtf: and at 6'4" its a bit harder for me to stand for long periods of time:rolleyes:

Im pleased with the stock seat. I add a sheepskin for longer rides to provide a little more breathing but otherwise cant complain.

However Suzuki makes (or made) 4 different seats that fit the Vstrom. The stock 650 seat is the lowest followed by the gel, the stock DL1000 seat is a little taller and the "Tall Touring saddle" is the tallest and has the most padding. Sounds like a Tall Touring saddle may help some for you if only because it is taller.

Russel Day Longs are ugly as hell but are usualy considered the most comfortable.

I havnt tried anything but the stock DL650 seat so cant comment on the others.

Craig

That thing is the most comfortable bike I ever rode. You're insane. :lol:

I know you and shawn told me that, the seating possition, yes..but where my rear sits it is murder on my arse. Ive got a few inches and 80 lbs on you bro, so that must be the difference.

Just talked to that terry guy and ge said we can go up 1.5" and backwards up to 2" with the bucket upgrade. Plus he has seat pans on hand so i dont need to send him mine untill i get the new one. And he uses multi desity foam on differnt areas of the seat, and he will adjust the angle per my needs. He is #1 on my list right now at $275 with shipping.

that would be mile 10 for me:wtf: and at 6'4" its a bit harder for me to stand for long periods of time:rolleyes:

I'm 6'4" also and rode the stock seat to Yellowstone, the Adirondacks and Charleston, SC / Deals Gap. I know different people have different seating styles. I tend to crouch forward a bit. As for standing, I have no issue doing it for miles and miles.

MeonDragon.jpg

I'm 6'4" also and rode the stock seat to Yellowstone, the Adirondacks and Charleston, SC / Deals Gap. I know different people have different seating styles. I tend to crouch forward a bit. As for standing, I have no issue doing it for miles and miles.

MeonDragon.jpg

I know i could not do that on the stocker, i sit to the back of the saddle with arms semi strait. As for standing maybe a mile or so then other shit starts to hurt. Yea i know I'm a whinny little bitch:lol:Did 100 miles this weekend and my tailbone is still hurting.:dunno:

My Vstrom is one of the few bikes that I've had that I really like the factory seat on.........Seats are very subjective, what's good for one, is bad for another. Like ergo's, windshields, etc.http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/
aint that the truth. i got 70k out of my stock seat before it started to wear out. then, bought a new sargent seat. works ok for me. Edited by JBWalker

glad you are enjoying the corbin scarlett!

Yes sir. I thought that was you.

It has been everything I hoped it would be. I removed most of those washers that were giving the seat a forward tilt and the seat is in a neutral tilt now. I had thought of placing some washers under the front but why mess with it if it feels good. It was a little slippery at first but after a couple of beer farts it now has a textured surface.

The seat pan does have me sitting slightly closer to the tank compared to sitting on the gel seat but I adjusted to that on the first ride. That leaves more room for my wife when riding 2 up.

I'm really glad you didn't like it.