Cruisers, Baggers & Touring Bikes

reinie

Glad to see I'm not alone in my preference towards cruisers with saddlebags (baggers). Seems like this is the biggest segment in the non sporting category by my observation. Maybe I will bump into one or more of you at an event such as the Swap Meet the American Legion Riders are having in Bettsville this June. I'm a member there and on the committee. I also do a few poker runs etc. every summer.

Membership slightly understated. We currently have "Members: 8,327".

I forget what percentage are cruisers. We did a poll once to get an estimate.

I've ridden just about everything, but I stick with standards.

Neither a cruiser or a sport. Just fast. It's what I like.

Reasonably comfortable for long distances.

And I bought both soft bags and hard bags for mine.

I've had a lot of bikes since my first on back in 1970, about sixteen or so. I have had singles, vertical twins, V-twins, inline triples and fours, air cooled, oil cooled and water cooled. All three final drives, chain, belt and shaft. The sizes ranged from 90cc all the way to 2300cc, so I really have had quite a variety of rides in my 42 plus years of motorcycle ownership. The cruiser genre for me started in 1997 with a 1996 Honda Shadow ACE 1100 although I had a couple of inline four cruisers before that, a 1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD and a 1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim, if you'd actually call them cruisers.

Those old 1982 bikes didn't really have a feet forward riding stance nor were the seat heights very low. Just stepped seats, buckhorn handlebars, short mufflers and a fatter rear tire. In every way they were just styling changes to standard UJMs. The 1996 Honda ACE 1100 actually nailed it as a lot of people mistook mine for a Harley back when I had it.

I just joined my boyfriend, crizzpyguy who has a VStar 1100 Classic.

I traded in my zx6r for a VStar 650 Custom last weekend. SLO is the way I have to GO for the next few years. Got a pretty little ticket last summer, and I'll be fired from my job if I get in any trouble. So this was the way to go for me. I am exited to ride it and go on long rides and be comfortable. It'll be nice not being so worried about doing something wrong lol

I'm on my third "Ultra" in ten years! I came up from a Soft tail. My first thoughts riding an Ultra was,,, Who fixed the roads? Much more comfortable riding the distances.

GrandCanyonNP_zps8c332b2f.jpg

A bunch of my fellow American Legion Riders have Ultra Classics and they swear by them. I reckon the Victory Cross Country tour is close to the same equipment wise. My 2012 Cross Country started out being more like a Street Glide but since I added the tour pack trunk with rear speakers it's now a bit more like an Electraglide Classic. No lowers on it.

A bunch of my fellow American Legion Riders have Ultra Classics and they swear by them. I reckon the Victory Cross Country tour is close to the same equipment wise. My 2012 Cross Country started out being more like a Street Glide but since I added the tour pack trunk with rear speakers it's now a bit more like an Electraglide Classic. No lowers on it.

I like the trunk for when I'm going on long rides, but I mainly keep mine removed. I like the way my bike looks better without it, plus it rides like a totally different bike without the trunk.

I just picked up a tour pack and lowers for my Road King, as well as a trailer. Only thing missing is a bat wing and it would be a whole new bike. It already has speakers on the bars. I was planning on a Street Glide in about another 2-3 years (once child support is done), but I may just go with an Ultra and replace with detachable parts to remove what I don't want, instead of buying everything I want to add.

A guy named Charlie here in town did that with his Ultra. Removed the tour pack and put a low chopped windshield on the batwing fairing. Looks just like a Street Glide with lowers now.

• 1 year later...

I highly recommend the Victory. I've had mine for three seasons and it's the first bike I've ever had that doesn't leave me dreaming about my next bike.

Great to know, we will be taking advantage of the next Victory demo day at the Pony.

baggers are great!  a different kind of ride, but an awesome one

Agreed!

I test road the Victory Cross Country a few years ago, and have thought ever since that if/when I get a bagger, that's what it will be.

Edited by Ron505

October of 2014 I bought a Suzuki M109R Limited.  LOVE IT!!!! I have owned many bikes over the years Honda HD Kawasaki.  Going to the Cleveland show next week looking for more 2 wheelers  to add to my stable. :riding:    :rh1:  Can't get enough.