WTB inexpensive moped

idodishez

My son is considering a moped, to get by until he can afford a car. Figured I'd put some feelers out there in the event someone has one sitting around they need to get rid of.

This space intentionally left blank to avoid offending anyone

To learn the value of working to achieve something. "Can't afford a car? Tuff it out on a non cool moped and work to save up for a car."

I rode a moped from age 11 until I got my drivers Liscence. I'm still

Here:)

That said, it doesn't have to be a 50cc moped. No problem w it being a 150 or whatever.

He prob wont do it anyway and will just wait for a car.

• Upvote 1

Why would you put your son on a 35 mph deathtrap? I would look for a scooter that can run at least 55 mph at minimum, some pretty cheap deals out there.

You've obviously not ridden the newer and I'm talking 1998-present mopeds. With a turbo muffler they are capable of speed over 50 all day and 55+ with the right wind and hill combo.

Had a 4 stroke Indian moped from 14 to 16...was the best thing ever! It would do a respectable 35 in stock form all day long. My buddy and I decided to do our first port and polish job during the last winter of my ownership. Fitted a larger carburetor and made some flow adjustments to the exhaust system. 45 was very achievable for a month or two...scrambled the valve train a month before my 16th birthday! Sounded way cooler at full song then my buddies Tomos and Batavus mopeds (2 Strokers) too.

Helped me learn road smarts without being overwhelmed before throwing a leg over a full on motorcycle!

Helped me learn road smarts without being overwhelmed before throwing a leg over a full on motorcycle!

EXACTLY. I was a MUCH better driver when the time came, as I had already been on the street at least 4 years. And it helped IMMENSELY in knowing how to ride a motorcycle when THAT time came.

You've obviously not ridden the newer and I'm talking 1998-present mopeds. With a turbo muffler they are capable of speed over 50 all day and 55+ with the right wind and hill combo.

I grew up in the country and had a Tomas Silver Bullet back in the 80's, top speed of 35 mph and would barely even hit that. I rode on nothing but county and township roads, only thing I would hit or have hit me might be some type of animal. Too many distracted drivers out there now, even thinking of my son riding on a scooter/moped or motorcycle scares the hell out of me. I do like the OP's reason for doing this however. ;)

Not 100% but pretty sure Ohio law defines a moped as a bike with pedals and a motor 50 cc or smaller with a top speed of 30 mph....I might have a old Suzuki ts 90 that's street legal, clean title. Gotta see if dad still wants to keep it. Good little bike.