Advice for week-long ride with my 9yo son

Scruit

This summer I'm taking a week off work to go on a father/son bike road trip with my 9yo. His longest ride so far was an hour and he didn't mind that. We have an intercom for chatting so I'm sure he'll be ok for longer trips. I'll take him on a couple of longer rides before then, to be sure he tolerate the long ride.

What I'd like to do is very loosely plan a circuit up toward Niagara Falls, into Canada, then eventually back home after a week. Looking for suggestions on what would be worth visiting on a bike. Really, we could go anywhere we want in that time. New York City, Washington DC would be nice.

We'll be doing hotel/motel overnights as we won't have space on the bike for a week's work of clothes AND camping gear. I'd like to limit the riding to no more than 5 hours a day, and that should be broken up. No night riding, don't want to risk him falling asleep!

Where else, within a few days ride of central Ohio, is worth visiting in mid-August with a 9yo? Once I pick the landmarks we can put together a loose route and just head with no real fixed schedule.

Edited by Scruit

You won't be able to bring your weapon at all in NY. Not even locked in a case.

That said Niagara is a very good idea. Not far and lots to do. Hop across the boarder as the Canadian side has lots that he will enjoy.

My eleven year old daughter and I are planning something similar. One place we are going to stop is Pine Creek Gorge (PA Grand Canyon) but we will make a quick stop prior to visit Punxsutawney Phil. If we have time, we will head north and visit the falls....otherwise that will be another trip for another time.

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-grand-canyon-of-pennsylvania

Have fun!

Head South to the Great Smoky Mountains, he would love that. Oh and you can carry as well. ;) I will not make anymore trips to the NE of the USA until they pull their heads out of their asses, such a shame because I love riding in that part of the country. And piss on Canada, haven't been back up there in years and doubt I will ever go again.

Edited by Pokey

Crossing the border a single guy with a kid is the worst and biggest pain in the ass I have ever done and won't do it again.

They assume the worst

Yeah, I'm ready for that. I have to get some paperwork squared away so they know I'm not abducting my own away from his mother. :nono:

Ok. "Bad idea" might have been the wrong wording. It's a great idea. Just take baby steps. I think the 5 hour saddle limit is wise' date=' though.[/quote']

I know that I can't have him do 5 12-hours saddle days. I'm thinking to hop from landmark to landmark with just a few hours per day riding. The point being to remove him from his computer, his comfortable environment and his general laziness and give him the experience of travelling, spending quality time with his pops and just doing something different than computer games and TV.

Edited by Scruit

9yr old and Niagara, probably a bit too young for that trip.

It is my thought, you are going to have to make a game out of it. Is he into baseball? You could do a ball game tour with St. Louis, Chicago (2 stadiums), Detroit and Cleveland.

If you do go to Buffalo, stop at the Anchor Bar for wings and Niagara on the Lake is nice place to stay. After that, not much to see unless you want to head over to the Adirondacks (lake Placid) or up to Tremblant with a stop in Toronto.

You could head up to Sandusky and do a day at the parks. Up to Traverse City, take the Muskegon ferry over to Milwaukee (HD museum), stop in Chicago for some boy activities and back home.

St. Louis has the City Museum that he would love, ball game, Arch. From there you could head down to the Ozarks and do Silver Dollar City. Rent a boat and take him out on the lake.

East towards Hershey, baseball hall fo fame, football hall of fame, NY City are all good option.

Notarized letter from mom and it is no hassle. Done it many times.

Maybe you look harmless. Maybe the agents were in a good mood. Maybe you have a son. I don't know.

I look like a bad person, usually I am. I'm not very cordial to egomaniac guards. I also was with my young daughter instead of a son, probably made it worse. Spent 4 hours in holding and it was bullshit.

Maybe you look harmless. Maybe the agents were in a good mood. Maybe you have a son. I don't know.

I look like a bad person, usually I am. I'm not very cordial to egomaniac guards. I also was with my young daughter instead of a son, probably made it worse. Spent 4 hours in holding and it was bullshit.

Did you show up without a "permission slip"? The Canadian border FAQ says if you don't have that proof then you'll be detained until they can verify you have permission.