Bluetooth system

Connie14

I have been thinking about getting a Bluetooth communications system for my helmet. I currently use my mp3 player with foam earbuds for protection against wind noise. Does anyone have any comments in using a Sena SMH10 with ear plugs? I am open to other Bluetooth devices, but I would like to protect my hearing for the long haul. I ride a lot of freeway miles. Any advice is appreciated.

SMH5 works great with hearing protection and the SMH10 is supposed to have even better speakers.

Sadly, I have yet to use is as a bike to bike communication device, but I have logged a lot of hours with it as an MP3 player. I think it was somewhere around 8 hours before it would go dead as well. It charges quickly, so I would just throw it on charge in my tank bag to charge for a half hour.

The few telephone calls I have been on while riding have been OK, but I have had to slow down to hear them when I didn't have hearing protection in, when I did, I could actually understand the phone call better.

I have the 10... It's great but causes some wind buffeting due to the unit external to the helmet. It's pretty minimal. Sound/call quality is great, has great noise reduction... People on the other side usually have no clue I'm on the bike. I would think a full face would be a must with these though!!

im odd man out i guess..

me and the wife have the Interphone F5 kits. they are freaking awesome. great battery life, awesome interface, great design, and they even offer a handlebar mount control so you dont have to reach up to your helmet to change songs, turn volume up, or whatever else.

the only other kit i have used is the chatterbox XBI2, and the interphone blows it out of the water.

has a range of like 1.5 miles, FM radio built in, and tons of other features.

Yes. It is definitely my favorite bike that I have ever owned . I put on some modifications to make it a comfortable long distance tourer. My previous bike was a vtx1800 that was modified into a tourer, but I dragged the living crap out of the floorboards and highway bars. I can comfortably go the same long distances on the C14, but it is significantly faster and better handling.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to test out the Sena. With earplugs in, I could hear everything but wind noise. Even making phone calls at speeds exceeding the freeway speed limit were clear and audible. This is a god setup. Thanks for the feedback.

Hmm I'm closer and closer to biting the bullet and picking up the Sena smh10 for this year. What kind of helmet do you have? Did you just get the boom style mike or did you get the extra stick on mike? I'm debating which route I want to go with that

Hmm I'm closer and closer to biting the bullet and picking up the Sena smh10 for this year. What kind of helmet do you have? Did you just get the boom style mike or did you get the extra stick on mike? I'm debating which route I want to go with that

Get the Scala 4 bad, quite few of the neo riders have them already and will be able to intercom with them

Fuck. That. Shit. :cool:

I'd like to have bluetooth' date=' but for audio/navigation. I don't want a microphone, but they all seem to have on built in. I guess I could just cut it off with some snips. :dunno:[/quote']

Agreed. I'd be getting it to listen to music and directions

I'm looking at something to listen to music/gps on without having to mess with wires...someone has to make a Bluetooth gateway that does a2dp and you just plug in headphones. Speaking of headphones....

Lettuce discuss helmet speakers for a moment. My new bell has special areas for speakers, anyone have a suggestion of what to get? Also thought about just getting a pair of on the ear headphones and butchering them.

These have great reviews. I'd buy them' date=' but my Vector doesn't really have the room inside for them.

[url']http://www.torkworld.com/products/helmet-speakers/xpro-helmet-speakers/

I love these, have tried on a helmet with them and they are as good as advertised! I've been going back and forth between getting these or a bluetooth set so I don't have to worry about wires

If you just want in helmet speakers, Iron Pony sells them. I think they may have cost in the $15 to $20 range. You can also buy a separate volume control piece of cord from Radio Shack for less than $10. It is a 6" standard headphone chord with a volume adjustment. It would be very similar to the package in the earlier post, but it would be less expensive.

Yes. It is definitely my favorite bike that I have ever owned . I put on some modifications to make it a comfortable long distance tourer. My previous bike was a vtx1800 that was modified into a tourer, but I dragged the living crap out of the floorboards and highway bars. I can comfortably go the same long distances on the C14, but it is significantly faster and better handling.

Sounds like we are on the same page. I have a vtx1800 and I needed something more...so when I ran across a lightly used C14 for a great price, I bought it. It cost me about two months the "silent treatment", it was/is worth it! I love the C14 but I can't give up the VTX just yet...o'ell

Anyway, my neighbor has a pair of scala g4 for sale...He rarely used them and they are figuratively taking up space. If you are interested, I would be happy to see how much he wants for them. No biggie if you are not interested, I just wanted to say hello.

AgentP, I am interested in hearing your opinion on the two bikes after you have owned both for a while. In the first 2 months (February and March last year), I had 2800 miles on the C14 and less than 100 miles on the VTX. Once I put the bar risers on the C14, I didn't care for riding the VTX anymore. If my wife would have ridden with me, I would have been more apt to take the VTX.

If you miss the VTX torque when riding the C14, get the Guhl ECU reflash. It significantly increases the low end power. Also, look into the concours owner group's forum. It is an excellent resource for information.

If you have any C14 questions, let me know.

Me and a buddy ended up getting the Scala G9 and so far they are awesome... voice commands are slightly limited but work for what i need. The system works very well together you can be playing music and the music will dim to givevoice gps directions from your phone. Can answer phonecalls and the person on the other line doesnt even know your riding. The music will increase based on the speed an amount of wind noise which is cool. And sound quality is awesome. Also has radio which is a nice touch i dont use very often. And the inter bike communication is great and confrencing capabilities is awesome once we get more people with them.

They are a bit pricey but so far it offers enough to justify the price or be damn close. The user interface on the internet to change all the settings and radio stations and your "buddys" is also very user friendly. Great product if you want alot of functionality and dont mind the price.