Any HD Riders out there?

AKIRA

Why do some enjoy sailing while others need a jet ski? A jet ski/wave runner is faster, better handling and adrenalin pumping while the sailboat is slower, peaceful, hard to turn, and more relaxing..... I'm not looking for increased heart rate and a buzz from my ride. I'm in it for pleasure....relaxation. Honestly, I've never seen or heard anyone being ridiculed for gear or lack-there-of except for here on OR. Ride your ride and enjoy it.

• Upvote 2

Wow. I would ride any motorcycle that is free. It may not be my daily ride, but I am definitely down for riding free motorcycles.

Not me. I'd rather pay my bike payment and ride something I enjoy. I can afford it, so why not. Rather pay to ride something I enjoy, than ride something I hate for free... Heck, I'd just drive my car and enjoy music and ac

• Downvote 1

That being said, I don't care what anyone else rides, it's America ride whatever you want lol.. Just me personally, wouldn't do it... I don't dislike people for riding Harleys, I dislike the stereotypical Harley riders who are complete assholes because they find themselves superior for riding Harleys... It's not about the bike, it's the person riding it that bothers me

• Downvote 1

Yep, its not the bike....its the rider in the saddle.  Some like fast n tight, some like slow and easy.  Plus some of us just can't physically twist themselves up to fit on some of those fast sports bikes.  I know I can't......tried it, and yeh, the bike was really quick, but not fun... hate painlol...heck, if they would have had them when I was a young man I would have been on one.

Anyway, this is way more than I have said here in ages.....

You all have a great Memorial Day weekend and ride safe!

I've ridden an injected RoadKing. It was a nice riding bike. I don't think I'll buy one, but I'd rent one before I rented a Shadow, or similar Japanese offering. Tonik's bike looks cozy, too. Not sure exactly what it is, but it's huge and white...which already sounds incorrect.

Harleys aren't the focus of my angst. It's cruisers, in general. If I'm tooling around? Sure. Maybe? I'm rarely using my bike for anything besides breakin the law and that's dangerous on a bike like that.

Kawasaki Voyager, 2013.

One thing about Harely's that is often overlooked is their loping engine setup.  While that can be annoying at idle to some...to make that work they have a big ass counterweight on the crank. Their center of gravity kicks the ass of any other big cruiser out there. It's way low, making them very cool at low speed in a parking lot.

When a group of HD's are riding together the harmonics of the motors starts sound totally in tune with one another.  It is an awesome sound.....almost like one big motor.

I totally agree - that is a damned good sound, until folks chop their pipes, wasting horsepower for noise, as if to say "look at us, we're so fabulous!"  :springer:

Then there are those impressively massive gearboxes.  I swear you can feel the ground shake when a group shifts out of neutral to head out.  Clunk, clunk, clunk-clunk, clunk, blub blub a bluba blubablub blubablubablubabluuuub!  I've been to a tractor slow-race at a county fair, and no lie, it sounds a lot a like.

Though one of the ARC attendees last night had a white ultra glide.  Beautiful motorcycle and great sound.  By comparison, you can barely hear my DL650 when a nearby cruiser is running, but I didn't buy my bike to make sound.

When a group of HD's are riding together the harmonics of the motors starts sound totally in tune with one another.  It is an awesome sound.....almost like one big motor.

Strange.....because that is one thing that annoys me above all else. Nothing worse than enjoying a tranquil quiet ride on the BRP or the Cherohala skyway "hell anywhere for that matter", and then it is violently interrupted by a gaggle of blatantly loud hogs or similar machines. I cannot even sit on my patio and enjoy a quiet evening, once again it is loud ass cruisers and baggers I constantly hear in the background. :(

Strange.....because that is one thing that annoys me above all else. Nothing worse than enjoying a tranquil quiet ride on the BRP or the Cherohala skyway "hell anywhere for that matter", and then it is violently interrupted by a gaggle of blatantly loud hogs or similar machines. I cannot even sit on my patio and enjoy a quiet evening, once again it is loud ass cruisers and baggers I constantly hear in the background. :(

You see, its all about what we each like.  Nothing wrong with that.

I had a great running Yamaha Enduro back in the day, 2 stroke, loved it.  It had a particular sound that I used to love.  Not so much anymore.  I hear lots of sportsbikes running with different exhausts and many I could not stand and if they were my bike I'd try to change that.  But if the guy likes how his bikes sounds, cool with me.  

I built and ran small block chevy's, raced them,  loved how they sounded.  Big cams made them lope and I realized when I got my Harley it kind of reminds me of that sound when at idle.  But I'm not into all the loudness myself.  Even my bike at 70-80 mph nearly drives me batty and my ears can't take it, so its ear plug time.  At slower speeds my bikes not that loud, but those asshats running straight pipes, or trying to be able to wake the dead are helping bring everyone down on all bikers.  Like I said, there are asshats on all kinds of bikes.  I hate riding with people when I can't even hear my bike running because theirs is so freaking loud.

Think a Harley or any bike can be loud, try driving a 1/4 in a 500+ hp car with open headers!  Its no wonder I've lost substantial hearing....lol.

Lol my stang had a big block with open long tubes... Definitely get where you're coming from... There's loud and then there's racecar loud haha

My bikes fueling is a bit weird, it has artifical cam lope at idle due to fueling issues lol... Time for power commander and dyno tune

What year Mustang?  My fastest motor was in a '71 Z28 but my favorite car was an old 68 Z.  That was the most fun.

I like those new Mustangs, one sweet ride.  IN the commercials they have a slight Viper look, that sleek low look.  Pretty awesome.

Edited by ohiomike

It was a 99 with a swap and mild build from a 78 f250... Never got all the bugs worked out.. When I sold it, I'd only driven it a few times after the swap but burned out and sold it before it was finished... I didn't do the swap myself, just assisted a friend with more knowledge and more tools than me to do it lol

Anyone that says they dont like Harleys or cruisers are gay and jealous lol  :crazy:

Glutton for punishment are ya?   LOL

Steve, sounds like it must have been a runner.  Big motor, light car spells fast.  I'd love to pick up an old 427 SOHC Ford big block, but those babies are like gold.....and cost about the same...lol.

Edited by ohiomike

• 4 weeks later...

"IF" you're going the cruiser route it has to be a Harley. They have better quality parts (no pot metal) and it's original not a cheap imitation. Besides that we do live in America after all nothing says 'Murica like a Harley does.

• Downvote 1

"IF" you're going the cruiser route it has to be a Harley. They have better quality parts (no pot metal) and it's original not a cheap imitation. Besides that we do live in America after all nothing says 'Murica like a Harley does.

Unless you want an American cruiser with power, then you could get a victory.

• Upvote 3

and it's original not a cheap imitation

Yea, got to give them credit for that. First to go with fuel injection, water cooling and built in nav. 

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1