Any HD Riders out there?

AKIRA

Any HD Riders out there?

Out of the 8,297 members on this board I can say for sure there are at least 3 of us. :eek:

I feel like General Custer at the little bighorn:lol:

I admire your tenacity. Stick around.:)

So you are in your mid 50s think back when you were in your 20s how many of the people that you road with back then still ride my guess is not many. I was referring to the riders that are in their 20s things happen in life Marriage home kids and almost always the first thing to go is the bike. I managed to hold on to my 77 KZ 1000 all these years but mostly ride the Harley now. Of the 17 friends I use to ride with back then only 3 of us still ride 1 rides a Harley 1 a Gold Wing Iam wondering what brand of bike is the first pick for riders that are getting back in to riding after 30 years of being out of it. Iam just having a little fun here stirring the pot.

I would rock the shit out of that KZ (PM me if you ever want to sell it) but never the Harley. I've ridden them and it just aint my thing. Gold Wing one day, maybe.

I would rock the shit out of that KZ (PM me if you ever want to sell it) but never the Harley. I've ridden them and it just aint my thing. Gold Wing one day, maybe.

Sorry but the KZ is going to the grandson The gold wings are nice riding bikes but not my thing just like the touring Harleys just a big luggage rack on wheels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As I get older, I am taming my riding position as you can see by my current bike. Next step (last step) may be a Concours, but I will never consider a Harley. All hype to me. My neighbor just bought a brand new one....looks nice.

Edited by 330racing

Rumor has it that since the retirement of Willy G from Harley Davison designs. Some of the younger design engineers have come up with a new long stroke water cooled V-4 engine that is in the neighborhood of 250 to 350hp Depending on performance options that supposedly has a huge amount of torque. It is to be put into a newly designed V Rod Road racer. If it gets approved it won’t take long for this engine to start showing up in their other bikes. I wonder what the hardcore Harley purest will think of this move if it comes to pass. I have been hearing this BS for a while now. Sounds like they are looking at getting in to the sport bike market. I think it may be a bike that is way over priced for the age group it will be targeting.

Edited by HeavyDuty

Rumor has it that since the retirement of Willy G from Harley Davison designs. Some of the younger design engineers have come up with a new long stroke water cooled V-4 engine that is in the neighborhood of 250 to 350hp Depending on performance options that supposedly has a huge amount of torque. It is to be put into a newly designed V Rod Road racer. If it gets approved it won’t take long for this engine to start showing up in their other bikes. I wonder what the hardcore Harley purest will think of this move if it comes to pass. I have been hearing this BS for a while now. Sounds like they are looking at getting in to the sport bike market. I think it may be a bike that is way over priced for the age group it will be targeting.

HD did make some concept 4cyl sportbikes back in the AMF era, and I think they were put on display during the 100 or 105 anniversary. I think they were called HD Alphas or something along those lines. The designs were rejected and the bikes hidden away in storage.

Riding really is all about what makes you feel good. I only mock HD's when I get the stereotypical attitude which is rare since you don't see many on the track on winding roads. The few that I do see have very enthusiastic owners who are usually quite cool. I do smile when I see a bagger coming around a turn followed by sparks. It means they're trying!

While I haven't owned any HD models, I've rented a few over the years because I have a phenomenal experience with the dealer rental staff. It's not cheap but I think the customer service is second to none. So usually if I'm renting a bike on vacation, I head to the HD dealer.

With that said, I don't think I'd buy one because I'd spend the whole time trying to make it into a sportbike. Plus that whole 600lb+ weight is a stopping point. I know there was the FXDX that at least looked appealing, and an XR1200 seems like it would be fun to ride, but they're still so heavy that it's a turnoff. I would consider an old Sportster 1000 only because that guy who shows up to some Motoseries events has a highly modded one and I know he's having a blast. I certainly wouldn't kick his bike out of my garage. But again I'd look into making it lighter and getting a modern fork on there. And then I'd only be too tempted to put a Rotax twin in it...

• 2 weeks later...
HD did make some concept 4cyl sportbikes back in the AMF era, and I think they were put on display during the 100 or 105 anniversary. I think they were called HD Alphas or something along those lines. The designs were rejected and the bikes hidden away in storage

It was called the Nova and here is its story.

http://www.bikerenews.com/AntiqueBikes/CodeNameNova.htm

• 9 months later...

I've owned about every make of bike out there and all where great bikes and I'm glad I owned them.

I always wanted A Harley and tried to make the crusiers I had look like them. And I didn't know for a long time that the sportster was a harley because to me it didnt look lke one to me.

Well I have a Harley now and I'm glad I didn't give in and settle for less.

And as for handling ( Hoblic ) my Fatboy is as nimble as any street bike I ever had even the ones that were smaller than 750cc. Thats not to say that it's not heavier so its a different kinda feel than a smaller bike but nimble just the same.

So AKIRA get you a Harley and enjoy it, I know you will.