Fork Oil ?

J_Copeland

I put maxima 7wt in my stock forks.

I think the stock fluid is 7.5wt, but supposedly viscosity changes from mfgr to mfgr so I didn't really worry changing to 7wt. I may play around with it, removing a measured volume of the 7 and adding back 10 wt to increment it upward.

Showa 5wt is what's going in the Multistrada. I'm not paying $30/liter for Ohlins fork oil. I'll buy the Ohlins seals' date=' but even that is pushing it.[/quote']

I bought some "Honda" Showa 5wt oil from a dealership near me. The manual calls for 5wt, but this stuff felt like water and made the stuff that came out of the forks look like 90wt gear oil. Have you ever seen this before? Was my old oil just severely over due for a change?

Had the forks previously been serviced? Hard to say without knowing the history. Fork oil' date=' especially 5wt, is very thin. They may have had a higher viscosity oil in them?[/quote']

Nope, I'm the original owner of the bike and they've never been opened until I just did the other day. The bike only has 6500 miles on it but the last 2500 or so have all been track/race miles.

• 2 weeks later...
Motul 5 wt for novice 10 for intermediate and advanced riders. 15 wt for race.

Does this mean if I fill mine with concrete I'll be in expert moto-gp ninja mode?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2