Route recommendations to New River Gorge WV and beyond

Chuck78

Day 4 of the trip was a little more difficult to plan, as there isn't a whole lot in the Wytheville to Roanoake areas that is as outstanding as the better choice of roads on the trip, but I think I've pieced together a good stretch. http://goo.gl/maps/VzJlI Continuing from our camping spot on the Mighty Python stretch of US-58 and following the base of 2 of the top 3 tallest mountains in the Eastern US on VA-16 Northbound up to County Rd 622 Nicks Creek Rd to a short 25 minute time saver on the Interstate up to US-52 in Wytheville, which winds around the side of a mountain and then eventually to WV-61, which looks like a winding valley road through farmland in between two mountain ranges. As that ends in Narrows, WV, head south to VA-42 and take that east until it intersects with VA-311, which is another really great and scenic mountain road. Heading to WV-150 Highland Scenic Highway after that, take I64W a short jog west to catch 92n to 39w to WV-150N. This is a breathtakingly scenic and really fun motorcycle motorcycle road worth the extra mileage.

If we wanted to cut to the chase and skip the 3-star roads to shave 1 hour of riding time off to save energy for the 5-star roads, we could cut the entire riding time down to 5.5 hours if after VA-16N, we just stayed on the superslab of I-81E for 90 miles to get to WV-311N. I think I may keep this as an option based on how we're feeling. The Highland Scenic Highway is going to require a lot of rest stops to take in the view, so I hear, and we will still need time to set up camp for the night, which I have yet to determine any locations near WV-150, so that may be more riding time.

This will free up day 5 for going all-out to tour & explore the Monongahela National Forest and the really great Allegheny mountains around there, as well as probably end up at Smoke Hole Rd to camp there and explore. The last day of the trip, we get to tackle the best stretch of US-33 that exists, named by the AMA aas being in their Top 15 best roads in the US, from the eastern end of the mountains east of Smoke Hole Rd all the way over to the other end of the mountains and towards the Ohio River Valley.

Edited by Chuck78

I've never ridden longer than about 5-6 hours of Hocking Hills State Forest or Wayne National Forest type roads on a day trip, and that's with breaks. What's everyone's opinion on this schedule in terms of fatigue from riding some very technical roads?:

day #1 9+ hours saddle time, getting into pretty technical roads the second half of the trip

day #2 4 hours white water rafting, relax and explore before and after

day #3 5 hours of twisties and mountain riding with breaks

day #4 6-7 hours riding time some mountains, some easier roads, may shorten by an hour & ride an interstate for 90 miles between worthwhile mountain regions.

day #5 4-??? hours of really great mountain riding, not a lot of necessary distance to cover, lots of mountains to explore in this area

day #6 1hr mountains, 6-7 hours head back towards SE OH & home on backroads

We could depart the afternoon before and camp out in Wayne National Forest to shave 4 hours off of the day 2 riding time and give ourselves plenty of time to rest up for the strenuous white water adventures and twisties ahead.

Edited by Chuck78

>>>SNIP<<< If going that route, WV20 from Clarksburg to New Martinsville on the Ohio River may be a good end to the WV portion from Monongahela

WV20 is a really enjoyable route w/ a handful of decreasing radius turns tossed in for your enjoyment. :D

From there you could enjoy a leisurely 10 mile ride southwest on Rt2 along the mighty Ohio river to Sistersville & take the ferry boat across to the southern terminus of Hwy 800 in Fly.

I've never ridden longer than about 5-6 hours of Hocking Hills State Forest or Wayne National Forest type roads on a day trip, and that's with breaks. What's everyone's opinion on this schedule in terms of fatigue from riding some very technical roads?:

day #1 9+ hours saddle time, getting into pretty technical roads the second half of the trip

day #2 4 hours white water rafting, relax and explore before and after

day #3 5 hours of twisties and mountain riding with breaks

day #4 6-7 hours riding time some mountains, some easier roads, may shorten by an hour & ride an interstate for 90 miles between worthwhile mountain regions.

day #5 4-??? hours of really great mountain riding, may ride

day #6 1hr mountains, 6-7 hours head back towards SE OH & home on backroads

We could depart the afternoon before and camp out in Wayne National Forest to shave 4 hours off of the day 2 riding time and give ourselves plenty of time to rest up for the strenuous white water adventures and twisties ahead.

I'd plan on trying to stay as close to 300 - 350 miles per day as possible, especially if the roads will be very technical. We tried to do 400-500 on our trip and while possible, I think we would have had more fun if we'd kept the distances a little lower.

The fatigue really adds up over the course of a few days, especially if you aren't used to it. 6 hours of seat time a day is pretty optimal and will stretch out quickly with stops. Your schedule is on the ambitious side IMO, but probably fine.

One thing I would definitely recommend is getting a camelbak and trying to stay hydrated while riding. It really helps with the fatigue.

Edited by Hailwood

WV-16 is highly recommended Ohio into Virginia (excellent mix of all styles of riding - twisties, valleys, roller coasters, sweepers, & mountain climbs to the south), especially the southern part from Tazwell, VA to the Back of the Dragon double or triple mountain crossings leading to Hungry Mother Lake State Park :bow: I read one guy's trip through WVa, and he said that road was the highlight of the whole trip :D despite some varying pavement conditions, "many sections are not for beginners."

16 aint' all that. Decent road if you're going to be in the area, but lots of gravel, messed up asphalt and all around shit road surface. Mountain climbs? Must've missed that one. Hills, yes, mountains, no.

I did a virtual ride-through using google streetview, & there were some pretty intense hill climbs around the Virginia section north of Marion, VA & Hungry Mother State Park, satellite view looks like mountain ranges. No mountains in the WVa portion of 16 though.

Edited by Chuck78

I did a virtual ride-through using google streetview, & there were some pretty intense hill climbs around the Virginia section north of Marion, VA & Hungey Mother State Park, satellite view lools like mountain ranges. No mountains in the WVa portion of 16 though.

I've ridden it all the way through both states and it's pretty much the same. Little steeper near Hungry Mother SP, but not much.

teh turns aren't all that tight either - more of a flowing road.

Not saying it sucks, but there's more technical roads in Ohio.

Cool, well thanks for the tips. Is US-58 "all that?" Maybe I should focus more on the US33 area? I want to take in amazing scenery AND hit some great technical roads with some roads full of twisties

Cool, well thanks for the tips. Is US-58 "all that?" Maybe I should focus more on the US33 area? I want to take in amazing scenery AND hit some great technical roads with some roads full of twisties

I did 33 from Richmond, VA to I-79 last fall and really enjoyed. No cars at all (not much of anything at all except me and the road), small towns with no stop signs, and pretty good road surface most of the way.

Knew it was gonna be good when I saw this;

7.jpg

My wife's name is Judy, so I had to get a pic...

IMG_1565.jpg

Great ride...

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

Earchache, please tell me more! I watched a three part youtube video of riding "Hungry Mother," and it looked pretty awesome, and the riders only commented on one area of bad pavement over the 3 mountain or foothill ridge crossings. If you can recommend roads a lot better than that, I'd love to hear.

I'm considering focusing more time on the NE portion of WVa near the Va border, 250/33/150/39/15 etc, especially due to more scenic mountain views in that area, but WV-16 north of Hungry Mother State Park still looks like a rippin' road up and down, and even a stretch far north of that in the lesser magnitude of hills on a video of a Pontiac Solstice drive looked really great. So if there are roads way better than that, we have 5 or maybe 6 days to ride lots of them and see a lot of sights, so please indulge me with more information!

Edited by Chuck78

Since you're going as far south as Cherohala Skyway, ya might as well go to northern Georgia and ride. Great area.

From the Gap;

-Take 28 South - great ride with views. Turns into a 4 lane at Stecoah / Tuskeegee. Don't speed! You won't see the cops, but they watch this 8 mile stretch like hawks. 28 south of Route 19 almost to Franklin is the best road in NC. Surface has a few messed up spots, but loads of turns like the Gap only not as tight.

Follow 28 south of Franklin to Highlands, NC - great views, waterfalls. Can be a bit crowded on weekends as Highlands is a bit touristy. Good high end shopping there, nice place to spend the night.

64 East out of Highlands to Cashiers; loads of high end homes, gold courses, etc. Take it to Route 215 near Rosman. 215 heads north and links up with the Blue Ridge. Great road! Paved in 2012 so it's still smooth as shit. Loads of turns, no traffic as it doesn't go anywhere. Get to the Blue Ridge and then turn around and head back towards Highlands.

Follow 28 south outta Highlands to Pine Mountain and pick up War Woman Road heading southwest. Follow War Woman to Clayton, GA. Great ride again.

From Clayton head west on 76 to 197 South. 197 to 356 into Helen, GA.

Helen is touristy, patterning itself after a Swiss alpine village. But it's a good place to stay overnight (try the Helendorf River Inn - right on the river that runs through town). From Helen you can hit all of the good roads in Northern GA.

From Helen, take 17 north to 180 west - another great road, very hilly. 180 takes you over to The Loop; follow 180 to Suches, south on 60 to 19. North on 19 to 129 north. 129 runs back up to 180 again. Do the loop both ways to get in all the fun. Parts are super technical and tight, so be careful. Decent food at Turner's Cafe on the bridge at 129 and 19.

When you're ready to head back north, follow 60 north of Suches - more open, but loads of hills and big sweepers. Follow 60 all the way to Copperhill, TN (named after a copper mine that's on a hill in town - go figure).

68 takes you all the way back to Tellico Plains, TN where the western end of the Cherohala Skyway is. You can take it over to Deal's Gap again or take 360 east to Vonore and then 411 North to 72 Southeast to 129. That also leads back to Deal's Gap and is a very fun route as well.

That's a pretty decent loop right there and it'll take a couple of days to hump it - but it's the best riding in the Southeast.

If you have any specific questions about the area (hotels, food, etc) ;let me know and I'll help you out all I can. I've ridden down there for many times a year for the past 30+ years and know the area pretty well.

Wow. Most of this is a bit further south of where we were planning to focus, but is enticing me to hit the Blue Ridge Parkway more and more. Besides US33, what other roads in that area can you recommend the most??? 250, Snowshoe, 33, smoke hole canyon, highland scenic highway, 39/55, etc????

Wow. Most of this is a bit further south of where we were planning to focus, but is enticing me to hit the Blue Ridge Parkway more and more. Besides US33, what other roads in that area can you recommend the most??? 250, Snowshoe, 33, smoke hole canyon, highland scenic highway, 39/55, etc????

Try and do what he says....make it work if you can. He describes one of the best runs down there. BRP gets old fast. Stop in Franklin for lunch. Cafe Rel, get the blue crab bisque and a Cuban press. You must get the bisque.

My dad and I did this route last year and loved it. It really wasn't too bad to link the BRP with the New River area, and VA-311 over the mountains past Roanoke was an amazing road. We didn't get down to the Dragon or Cherohala, but there are plenty of other great roads down in that area.

Hailwood, how was that stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway from Boone to Roanoke? I remember passing a few spots in Virginia before where I saw the BRP sign and drove on it for a short while and thought "well, that wasn't what I remembered the Blue Ridge Parkway being like...?" big rolling hills in the countryside, a nice retreat from the city, but left me thinking that would not be worth the trip for sections like that.

I'm plotting out all of my options to get together with my friends going on the ride and present them with choices.

To New River Gorge for Day 2 is a definite. After that we could:

*go east to the 3 National Forests and stay in that WV mountain area for a few days of riding and exploring, taking a leisurely time.

*OR go south on 16 to Hungry Mother/US58 The Mighty Python/421 The Snake and then head to Cherohala Skyway/Devils Triangle/TOTDragon, then head home north on a Kentucky adventure

*OR go south on 16 to HungryMother/TheSnake/US58MightyPython and for day 4 take one of three routes to VA-311 -

#1 I-81 to shave 80 minutes riding time to save for the best roads ahead, #2 north scenic detour around wytheville, or #3 hit the Blue Ridge Parkway to VA-311. The following day would be US33/SnowShoe Mtn-WV66, Smoke Hole Rd, 39/15/250 etc mountain exploration day. This last option, my initial loop plan, works best for the two guys that might have to head home to Ohio a day early, so I was trying to not go too far south, but I do want some really awesome refreshing scenery and great twisty/sweeping curve roads and hill/mountain climbs

Edited by Chuck78