Route recommendations to New River Gorge WV and beyond

Chuck78

My wife and a few buddies and I are planning on a 4-5 day motorcycle trip in late May, from our homes in central Ohio through the Wayne National Forest area and into West Virginia to go white water rafting at the New River Gorge for one day, and spend the rest of the trip riding fun mountain roads, sightseeing, camping, and hiking. It's a birthday trip for two of us as well biggrin.gif I think we'll be taking OH-78 across SE Ohio and then possibly ditching it before the WVa border and maybe linking up to one of the 3 or 4 or so really amazing stretches of road that go through the hills and down to the Ohio River (800, 255, and 536 - never have been that way on motorcycle yet!), and then linking up with WV-16 to the New River Gorge area. I'm open to a better route than 78, although I am very fond of it.

I was hoping some of you might have some highly recommended roads and routes beyond that, as well as scenic hikes and excellent primitive camping location recommendations. Any suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated. Looking to one-up the really great twisties and sweepers of SouthEastern Ohio since we will be travelling quite a distance, trying to take in a mix of fun and challenging roads as well as breathtaking scenery.

It looks to be 5 hours south to get to the tail of the Dragon, which apparently is now 35mph & double yellow lines the whole way, with lots of speed traps - especially on the Tennessee side. Also probably pretty heavily travelled, all of which make it less appealing, but I see you can link up to the Cherohala Skyway south of the Dragon for a desolate 51 mile mountain ridge ride to mile high elevations with endless sweepers and breathtaking views. This sounds pretty amazing and makes a cautious law abiding ride through the 'Dragon more worth it.

The Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive I have very fond memories of from a childhood trip 25 years ago, but Skyline drive is a heavily travelled tourist road with lots of slow traffic (I recall doing 5mph many times while driving through clouds), wildlife, and it costs $10 for a week pass to enter the area. This makes it a little less appealing, as a motorcycle blogger on the tail of the dragon website reassured me of. The scenery was pretty amazing though.

The same blogger said that in no way did it compare to the Blue Ridge Parkway south of there for riding. The Blue Ridge Parkway is quite a ways away from The New River Gorge area, but we are doing a 4-5 day trip. Keeping it concentrated in the WVa/Tail of the Dragon area wouldn't be a bad thing though.

A Suzuki GS Resources Forum member gave the advice "I will never ride the Blue Ridge ParkingLot or Tail of the Staties again with it's 318 cops in 11 miles" despite both being on the AMA's list of top 15 best motorcycle roads in America.

Edited by Chuck78

My dad and I did this route last year and loved it. It really wasn't too bad to link the BRP with the New River area, and VA-311 over the mountains past Roanoke was an amazing road. We didn't get down to the Dragon or Cherohala, but there are plenty of other great roads down in that area.

Here's a link to the thread I made about the trip that has some comments on roads in the area.

If you're looking for a great way to get to/from Ohio to WV, I highly recommend WV-16/WV-10 combo. That was one of the best roads of the entire trip.

http://www.wvstateparks.com/

I will suggest the state parks for lodging. Can't speak for all but camped at Black Water Falls and spent time riding in the area. They had both primitive and electric sites and a lodge. Gorgeous country. Rides set up between Parks would be cool.Like Hailwood said,there are many entertaining roads to be had in Wv.

http://wvmountainrider.com/default.aspx

Edited by Al Z. Heimer

If you are going to pick up 78 anywhere west of Ringgold(555),I recommend going north on 555 until you intersect with 669.Take 669 from Deavertown back to 78 at McConnelsville.All of this section of 669 was paved last year...part of it is very twisty,part is a good riverside ride.It will T into 78 at McConnelsville.

Of the three(800,255,536) you mentioned that you might take to the river,800 is in the best condition.All of it south of 255 was paved in the last two years.I believe 255 is closed right now,but it will probably be open when you plan to ride that area.255 is always fun,536 is starting to get rough.

Have fun on your ride.

If you are going to pick up 78 anywhere west of Ringgold(555),I recommend going north on 555 until you intersect with 669.Take 669 from Deavertown back to 78 at McConnelsville.All of this section of 669 was paved last year...part of it is very twisty,part is a good riverside ride.It will T into 78 at McConnelsville.

Of the three(800,255,536) you mentioned that you might take to the river,800 is in the best condition.All of it south of 255 was paved in the last two years.I believe 255 is closed right now,but it will probably be open when you plan to ride that area.255 is always fun,536 is starting to get rough.

Have fun on your ride.

Cool, thanks for the tips. We actually rode that area December 1st, but skipped 669 east of 555. You're saying to detour north off of 78 on 555, then back too 78 on 669? I thought 78 was one of the better overall roads in that area, and due to it being so long with highlights all over, it seemed like a perfect candidate for a long road trip to keep directions simple. And I really wanted to ride the section around Burr Oak State Park, despite the deforestation, the views were incredible for Ohio terrain.

Whaddya think of 78 to 260 South (and maybe catch OH-26 on a few hour detour) to the river, then backtrack east to Newport/St Mary's to catch WV16? 260 sounds alright, no super technical turns. 26 has been on my must ride list for a little while. 800 isn't too much further if 260 is no good.

Edited by Chuck78

When I picked 78 @ Burr Oak State Park as one of the points to drag the map to, google automatically then routed me south on 555 S to 550 E to Marietta/St Mary's. It's an extra hour to go the route I had in mind taking 78 E to 260 to the river, even more to take 260S to 26 SW to Marietta and back east to St Mary's/Newport. I wasn't too impressed with mostly tar and chip portions of 555 I have been on but many rave about the road. Is it worth an extra hour or more to take 78/260 and maybe 26? Scenery and fun roads are a plus. deforested farmland and lack of twisties and great sweepers is not a big goal... Tough to find heavily forested foothills in that part of SE OH

FYI;

If you're still planning to ride the BRP, you might want to keep tabs on this website to check road closures due to the excessive rain from a couple of weeks ago: http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

Here's a site from the Great Smoky Mtn National Park:

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

When I picked 78 @ Burr Oak State Park as one of the points to drag the map to, google automatically then routed me south on 555 S to 550 E to Marietta/St Mary's. It's an extra hour to go the route I had in mind taking 78 E to 260 to the river, even more to take 260S to 26 SW to Marietta and back east to St Mary's/Newport. I wasn't too impressed with mostly tar and chip portions of 555 I have been on but many rave about the road. Is it worth an extra hour or more to take 78/260 and maybe 26? Scenery and fun roads are a plus. deforested farmland and lack of twisties and great sweepers is not a big goal... Tough to find heavily forested foothills in that part of SE OH

555 has some good spots, but there are many sections that need some work, especially as you get closer to the river.

I definitely recommend 78/26/260 if you have the time. 26 and 260 are two of my favorite roads in SE Ohio and were in good shape the last time I was on them.

555 has some good spots, but there are many sections that need some work, especially as you get closer to the river.

I definitely recommend 78/26/260 if you have the time. 26 and 260 are two of my favorite roads in SE Ohio and were in good shape the last time I was on them.

When I'm on 260 and get to the intersection of 26, is 26 southwest of there going to be a substantially more fun road than if I were just to continue on with 260? The southern part of 26 there looks to be one of the best roads in the state just. based on looking at maps!

Edited by Chuck78

When I'm on 260 and get to the intersection of 26, is 26 southwest of there going to be a substantially more fun road then if I were just to continue on with 260? The southern part of 26 there looks to be one of the best roads in the state just based on looking at maps!

26 into Marietta is a fantastic stretch of road, but continuing on 260 down to the river would be a great way to go as well. 260 has a better flow to it, but that part of 26 is technical and fun with lots of elevation change.

You can't go wrong either way.

Cool, thanks for the tips. We actually rode that area December 1st, but skipped 669 east of 555. You're saying to detour north off of 78 on 555, then back too 78 on 669? I thought 78 was one of the better overall roads in that area, and due to it being so long with highlights all over, it seemed like a perfect candidate for a long road trip to keep directions simple. And I really wanted to ride the section around Burr Oak State Park, despite the deforestation, the views were incredible for Ohio terrain.

Whaddya think of 78 to 260 South (and maybe catch OH-26 on a few hour detour) to the river, then backtrack east to Newport/St Mary's to catch WV16? 260 sounds alright, no super technical turns. 26 has been on my must ride list for a little while. 800 isn't too much further if 260 is no good.

That's right,detour north on 555 to 669 back to 78 at McConnelsville.If you're coming from the Nelsonville/Glouster area you will still get the good stuff around Burr Oak.I guess it's a personal choice,but I think 669 is much better(and in better condition) than the section of 78 that you will be cutting out.Most of that section of 555 is also pretty good except the section from Portersville to Deavertown is starting to get rough.If you want to explore a little deeper you could cut out the Portersville- Deavertown section of 555 by by taking Tatman's road from 37 west of Portersville back to 669 west of Deavertown.

260 is an excellent road!In my opinon the best part of 260 is north of 26 to the Tiny town of Marr(except they're logging that area right now),but the section south of 26 is very,very good.260 and 255 are like twins,two of the best in S.E.O.

I don't know how much time you want to spend in S.E.O. before moving onto W.V.,but if you want to play around a little,here's a very twisty route that I ride quite a bit...

From Marietta...

26e to Dart>

Archers Fork Rd s>

7 n>

260 n>Marr

537 e>

26 e>

800 s(1 mile)>

255 s>back to 7

You mentioned that you like riding forrested roads...it's hard to beat the Hocking Hills for forest rides.374,Thompson Ridge,Illsboro-Ceder Falls,Big Pine and some of 56 all come to mind.

There is a ton of good roads in S.E.O.,it's just a matter of how much time you want to spend in Ohio before moving on to W,V.You can always ride in Ohio another day.

Have Fun.

Edited by drc32-0

I've been to Wayne several times, but the Hocking Hills area is almost like our backyard playland, 40 minutes the backroad route until we start to get into the fun hills W/SW of Lancaster :D

To keep time down for more West Virginia riding and time to relax, I think we'll come out of Columbus on 204e to 757s to Somerset and pick up 669 and follow your route to 78, saving the breathtaking (Burr Oak St Prk) views for a few hours later in WVA.

Then catch 260s off of 78e, and probably veer off on 26 sw. Is there any good fun paved road that will take me from midway on 26 directly south to Newport/St Mary's? That would shave off some backtracking distance if we didn't have to ride backwards to Marietta. It's always questionable trying to plan a route on back roads that could be gravel or in terrible condition. Thanks

Edited by Chuck78

I came across this group sometime ago and they have some great maps of this area. They ride them all time and have lots of updates. Created by a motorcyclist for motorcyclists.

https://www.facebook.com/BlueRidgeMotorcycleRides

Look at their products page. Also, great pictures. Lots of drool shots............

Mary

I came across this group sometime ago and they have some great maps of this area. They ride them all time and have lots of updates. Created by a motorcyclist for motorcyclists.

https://www.facebook.com/BlueRidgeMotorcycleRides

Also, great pictures. Lots of drool shots............Mary

Lots of inspiring photos, but I didn't see any maps. Maybe if I had a facebook account, I could see more links to maps and such?

Edited by Chuck78

http://goo.gl/maps/6xBlc

WV-16 is highly recommended Ohio into Virginia (excellent mix of all styles of riding - twisties, valleys, roller coasters, sweepers, & mountain climbs to the south), especially the southern part from Tazwell, VA to the Back of the Dragon double or triple mountain crossings leading to Hungry Mother Lake State Park :bow: I read one guy's trip through WVa, and he said that road was the highlight of the whole trip :D despite some varying pavement conditions, "many sections are not for beginners."

I think we're going to do 8-10 hours riding the first day, taking the 669/78/260/26/ArchersForkRd route through SE OH, and then WV-16 all the way to the New River Gorge - although after Brownsville, I hear the town of Gauley Bridge is a NOTORIOUS speed trap. I mapped a westward jog around it and across the River to view Kanahwa Falls, and then across again to Hawks Nest State Park and southward into the New River Gorge area for camping in the State Parks and rafting the following day.

Departing the New River Gorge area, I believe a few of our National Park Service campsite options are close to WV-41, which winds down through a gorge and intersects with the New River Gorge. This leads us into the town of Beckley, where we will pick up WV-16 again all the way into VA-16 to Hungry Mother State Forest and it's awesome looking double mountain crossings!

I had planned on taking lots of time around here the day after the New River whitewater will have worn us out, but seeing how great US-58 The Mighty Python National Scenic Highway sounds as it goes through two of the highest mountain peaks in the eastern US, with Bear Claw Holler Bikers Rest Stop & motorcycle store and camping off of 58 not too far from Hungry Mother State Park, this is quickly making me pretty definite on not camping at Hungry Mother and continue with one or two more hours of riding that day to camp off of Jeb Stuart Hwy at US-58- http://goo.gl/maps/lQ8bO

This may be the most definite plan, as this area was the end of my concrete plans, with an east or west decision to be made. A somewhat long ride west would take us to the amazingly beautiful Cherohala Skyway and the over-crowded over-policed 35mph Tail of the Dragon, but with the mountains to the east and a leaning towards a focus on West Virginia, those options have lost favor with me.

I added the option to extend the day's ride to 421 The Snake's "33 miles 489 curves 3 mountains 1 valley" by taking a superslab a little west to hit The Snake eastbound and jog north to US-58 after, may be an option to hit if we decide we don't mind some real loooonnnnggg saddle time the day we depart the New River Gorge area, but I think I am planning to camp here a little way into US-58 that night.

Edited by Chuck78

I've run out of planning time today, but it looks like we'll take US-58 and then head towards Wytheville, Va http://goo.gl/maps/43qy3 either on the scenic sweepers US-21 north into the city, or the twisty VA-94 that is on the eastern edge of the city. From Wytheville, it looks like US-52 National Scenic Highway west of Wytheville cuts across the side of Walker Mountain and up towards West Virginia, where we could stay on the northwestern side of the mountain ranges by catching VA-61 northeast to Narrows, VA if we don't find any other really amazing routes to the southeast of there (trying to stay a little closer to home since there are a million awesome twisty and scenic roads all over this part of the country).

From 58, we could potentially make directions real simple and just hit the epic scenery and altitudes of the Blue Ridge Parkway southeast of Wytheville, but it eventually turns into Skyline Drive a while after the BRP turns into a really awesome but easy to ride mountain ridge road, and I don't want to pay the Skyline Drive $10 pass fee for a slow tourist road, as I will have plenty of other breathtaking scenery on the more fun-to-ride twisties, sweepers, and mountains.

This is where I ask myself, "Am I insane for trying to ride mosty twisties and big hills and mountains for 5 or so days straight??? Maybe aiming for some curvey but easy relaxing scenic roads may be a good mix?"

As far as the Blue Ridge Parkway, it's the eastern-most mountain range, and looking a little way northwest of there across some more relaxed terrain, there are a half a dozen mountain peaks that run parallel curving more northward as you follow them east, and they basically go nonstop through Jefferson National Forest, George Washington National Forest, AND the Monongahela National Forest!!! Triple-awesome:) It think it seems like a fair goal to try and ride in and out of that area. as we curve more and more NE/N-NE, and then cut back NW through Monongahela towards Ohio/home.

EDIT: If we proceed with this general route, I have 3 options from Mt Rogers/The Mighty Python - one is that route, second is take 16N to the interstate to VA311 to shave an hour of riding time to save for the best roads ahead, and 3 would be go from US58 to the Blue Ridge Parkway to Roanoke and then catch VA-311

If going that route, WV20 from Clarksburg to New Martinsville on the Ohio River may be a good end to the WV portion from Monongahela

I've gathered a lot of other tips I've been reading on roads that sounded very worth riding, and the user reviews on motorcycleroads.us really help out especially when there are a large amount of comments on a route.

Here are a few other tips and options that I haven't researched yet, from my notes:

Co Route 2 to Smoke Hole Rd is one of the state’s greatest roads. Only recently

paved, this “layover road” hugs clear streams wedged between steep rock

walls, then climbs and darts in and out of the rumpled side of North Fork

Mountain. Feeble-looking guardrails separated us from painful drops.

Through holes in the canopy we were treated to wide-angle shots of

tight clusters of peaks blanketed with thick forest. (MUST RIDE!)

*U.S. Route 33, Harrisonburg, Virginia to Seneca Rocks, West Virginia. east/west roads in this area are wild. U.S. 33 is just such an east/west wonder as we climbed frantically up then down North Fork Mountain. r, caught the video and watched some climbers scale the rock faces.

From the National Park Service visitor center we jumped on U.S. 33 West for another intense session of corner carving, this time over West Virginia’s tallest mountains, sometimes called the Allegheny Front or the Eastern Continental Divide. (MUST RIDE!)

WV-150-Highland Scenic Highway over Black Mountain – some camping, a little jog west from the middle of the Monongahela area

"I did not want to leave the overlooks, the sky was clear and views went on and on. To me it was West Virginia at its best." ""Also known as Mountain Scenic Highway. Great elevation changes, big sweeping curves, West Virginia at it's best!"

*WV 66 - Off of WV 66 little County Road 3 climbs up to Snowshoe

Village through some tight switchbacks and sports 180-degree views of

surrounding peaks.

WV-28 - on the eastern side of the Monongahela area, A wonderfully scenic road full of sweepers and twisties. Up and down thru high mountains and deep valleys, with spectacular views thrown in just for good measure

WV-32 - runs through the broad, grassy Canaan Valley and on to Davis, the highest incorporated town in West Virginia. An old coal/lumber town fallen on hard times, then young outdoor enthusiasts and big-city refugees resurrected it and turned it and sister city Thomas into hip base camps for anything from skiing to mountain biking. We set up camp at nearby Blackwater Falls State Park, then rode back to Susan Moore’s Bright Morning Inn. Talented Curtis Heish*man prepares innovative masterpieces every weekend evening. For this evening he had collected five different kinds of wild mushrooms and artfully combined them into an exquisite pasta dish.

VA-311:" The section we did was from Roanoke up to US-60 at Interstate 64 in Greenbriar Co., WV and was a spectacular road that road takes you over the mountains from VA into WV and had some excellent scenery and great pavement. One of the things I really liked about this road compared to WV-16 was that the pavement was immaculate and free of debris. I didn't try pushing the speeds at all (the video is a little boring unfortunately) but of all the roads we were on, I felt like this one had the best potential to be ridden quickly."

US-119: "Rode this from Charleston to Morgantown and really enjoyed it. Plenty of curves and it's close enough that it could easily be part of a long day ride from Ohio. The traffic is mostly light in the best sections and the pavement is mostly clean, so you can make some really good time."

Edited by Chuck78

http://goog.gl/maps/6xBlc

WV-16 is highly recommended Ohio into Virginia (excellent mix of all styles of riding - twisties, valleys, roller coasters, sweepers, & mountain climbs to the south), especially the southern part from Tazwell, VA to the Back of the Dragon double or triple mountain crossings leading to Hungry Mother Lake State Park :bow: I read one guy's trip through WVa, and he said that road was the highlight of the whole trip :D despite some varying pavement conditions, "many sections are not for beginners."

WV-16 was amazing, especially the part South of Pineville, WV. Very tight, very technical, and with passing lanes in many of the best parts. I have no doubt it would have been one of (if not the best) road on our trip if it hadn't been raining like crazy.