VERY cool garage heater. Relatively good deal at TSC.

YSR_Racer_99

My 50k btu kerosene heater decided to take a dump. Went to use it last week, and it "surges" its cycle and makes really horrible odors. Played with the air/ vac adjustments, and it didn't help. It was Saturday, and as I was trying to adjust it outside the garage, my neighbor asked why I was heating the outdoors.

He let me use his little 35k btu propane heater which attaches to a 20lb propane tank (like you use for your grill). I LOVED it. Small, light, no noxious fumes, etc. I hunted for one to buy, but everyone is out of stock (end of season). I stumbled on one at Tractor Supply called a Mr Heater Hero Cordless heater. Researched it on Amazon ( http://tinyurl.com/ah7lp6l ).

TSC Springboro has them marked down to $119 (from about $180), and had them in stock, so I grabbed one.

LOVE IT. No need to use the cordless feature yet, but I like the flexibility. The combustion is louder than the fan.

Note: The Amazon reviews reference a LOT about the fan having to be "on" prior to ignition. In the one I got, this has been addressed by Mr Heater, and there is a safety lockout whereby the fan has to be running first.

This is SOOOO much smaller than my big 50k unit.

So far, no negatives. Tiny, quiet, flexiible.

Ok thanks for making up my mind for me, that sounds like too much running back and forth filling up tanks. I'll stick with the natural gas heater I found and just have to plumb a gas line out to the garage.

Interested in this, I have a house/property I am very interested in and wife is too. Anwyays, it has one of those, not a huge one, in the pole barn that is 30x46, so I wanted to know if it would make a difference. It is also insulated on walls and cieling, so imagine it would.

Let me know.

Also i Have been thinking of putting on in my current garage as I have gas ran to wher the fireplace would be, and that would also be just about 10 feet from where the heater would be. Just not sure what all else I would need there. There is only 1 electric plug and I imagine they require electric too?

Let me know if you do it yourself and if it works. Right now I run an electric heater and it costs a few bucks a month to run in the real cold months, but my bike is out there and our cars.

I'm getting one from my gf's dad. He said I could have it if I wanted to run the gas line for it. If I ever get around to it, I'll let you know how it goes. I've got a list 3 pages long of things to do at the house, and this is probably towards the bottom.

we have one of these that we use to heat or work trailer in the winter. it does an awesome job. but its only rated at 400 sqf. Mr. heater puts out some good products.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH18B-Portable-Propane/dp/B0002WRHE8/ref=sr_1_18?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1360357034&sr=1-18&keywords=mr.+heater+propane+heater

Edited by shadyone
forgot to add link.

we have one of these that we use to heat or work trailer in the winter. it does an awesome job. but its only rated at 400 sqf. Mr. heater puts out some good products.

Amazon.com: Mr. Heater MH18B, Portable Propane Heater: Home & Kitchen

I acually use one of these in the house during the winter to keep the furnace from running so much. (i get my tanks filled at work at a nice discount;)) It will burn 2 to 3 days on a tank pending on what setting its on. i also use it in my bike shed when i have work to do out there.

I have one these too i picked it up on clearance a Menards for $70 it puts out a lot of heat. I don't really use it much but if i ever get a garage built i'm sure that will change.

http://www.amazon.com/Heater-MH60FAV-Workshop-Constuction-Forced/dp/B005EIKDRI/ref=sr_1_6?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1360367987&sr=1-6&keywords=mr.+heater+propane+heater

If anyone is looking to buy a propane heater or tanks I have some I no longer use. I have a 35,000 BTU unit and a adjustable 65, 85, 100,000 BTU unit, a 100lb and 2 40lb propane tanks.

DSC00152.jpg

DSC00009_zpsdcfd409a.jpg

35,000 BTU heater $50

65, 85. 100,000 BTU unit $80

100lb propane tank $80

40lb propane tanks $50 each

The 35,000 BTU unit is great for a single car garage and is pretty quiet. The 100,000 BTU unit is freaking LOUD and ROARS.