Squid time!

R6_Rider

Simple: Whats the dumbest thing you've ever done on your bike?

Fall off trying to get on? Try to start your bike in gear with the kickstand and can't figure out why it didn't start?

Heres the thread to come clean. We've all done it so share your stories!

To start:

Dumbest thing I've done and probably the last time I'll ever do it, I was riding down Honeycreek right past Heron Bay. Thought I saw a friend, pulled a U-turn and hit speeds higher than I'd like to say. Went over the hill and the R6 grew wings for what felt like a good 3-4 seconds. Caught some major air. Proceeded to flip out in my helmet pretty much the rest of the way home :rolleyes: Bonus points because a few cars in the other lane saw all of it...

Another: A friend killed his bike taking off from a stop light (learning to ride) in the middle of a crowded intersection with a bunch of people around. Clutch got the best of him.

• Upvote 1

On my first bike, an '07 ninja 250, I dropped it in the middle of the street trying to turn around. Went up a slight hill and stopped at some train tracks to wait for a train. Well the train decided to stop so I had to turn around. I did like a 5 point turn to maneuver the bike to the point where it was perpendicular to the road, lost my footing and wham! Dropped the bike down the slight hill in the middle of the street. This was about a month after I started riding.

Edited by JStump

The dumbest thing I did was when I was taking my motorcycle licenses test... So all the bikes are lined up pretty close, except me cuz that was the first time I backed into a spot(luckily) so I get the bike parked and listen to the instructor and then the first person goes and since I was in the last parking spot I was gunna go last. Well, I decided I wasn't gunna wear my helmet for 20 minutes, so I take it off and decide to sit it on the ground(to my right)... well... Ya.... I apparently cannot even come close to reaching the ground... Next thing I know the bike tips over and the visor snaps off my helmet, I did manage to get my foot in place before the bike hit the ground(crushing my knee though) I was so embarrassed, my bike was less than an inch from the ground and everyone was laughing(all cruisers except me) and didn't offer help getting it back up. It took quite a bit to get it back up, but I was just glad I wasn't close enough to any other bike to damage them. After I stood my bike up I grabbed my helmet and spent like 10 minutes getting the visor back in cuz the little snap on latch fell off too.

With a group at the Iron Pony. Spots were tight, so I was focused more on space than anything. Thought I put the kickstand down. I didn't. Fortunately, I was close enough to the wall that it stopped it from hitting the ground.

First bike.... Thought I could mount it with kickstand up while pushing it like a ten-speed (that's what we used to call our bikes). Didn't work so well.

Took the bike out for lunch for some tasty tasty T-Bell. Upon leaving, geared up, kickstand up, key on, nothing...

Shit battery or bad connection.

I tried multiple times to start it, got completely flustered and said "fuck it". Leaned the bike back over on the kickstand that wasn't there. I realized this about the time that it was too late. Bike and I fell over, sitting still, in a parking lot. Luckily it didn't pin my leg against the curb, so I had to snake my way out from under it and pick it back up.

When I did, I turned the key and had power again! Started it, and sploosh! Coolant everywhere. The tip over had broken a radiator mount and was spewing pressurized coolant all over.

Needless to say, she went home in the back of a pickup that day. :nono:

Got another one:

Was riding home late after work one night. Was low on fuel and the gas station had closed. Riding home I somehow hit the kill switch and thought I ran outta gas :nono: Took me a good 20 seconds or so sitting on the side of the road just sitting there before I realized what I had done haha

1. Be 17 with first bike (Yamaha Seca II)

2. See girls in parking lot

3. Accelerate in parking lot thinking I'm Steve McQueen

4. Not know parking lot was freshly sealed

5. Massive tankslapper when I get on brakes

6. Fall off back and watch bike slide down the pavement while girls look on

7. ?????

8. Did not profit

Sprained my wrist something awful. Took months for it to feel normal again.

• Upvote 1

On my first bike at 16 I tried to check the oil while it was running...

:lol: I for some reason too took off the cap while it was running before and got sprayed. After it happened I couldn't believe I did it; I knew better.

Edited by NinjaNick

I did one right out of a fucking Nerd movie. Pulled into a gas station, got to the pump and there's a jeep with a couple cute girls in it. One of them looks over at me and smiles right as I get my helmet off and says "I like your bike". I said thanks, and then leaned over and dumped it.

No kickstand, of course.

• Upvote 1

Spent about two hours bleeding and messing with the adjustments on the clutch on my VTR after I put it back together because every time I tested dropping it into gear it stalled out.

Finally realized the kickstand was down.

VTRs have a kill switch wired into the kick stand, by the way.

The first time I learned about hot asphalt and a motorcycle FML. Just got out of the gym and see my bike fell over with the kick stand completely sunken into about 6" deep of the black parking lot. The turn signal was broke but that was all. Luckily no one was around to see my red face. Never again.

A few years ago i was prepping my bike for the spring. I had aready checked all the bolts, lubed the areas that need it and tinkered around with it in the garage. After i called it quits i then decided to make sure all lights and signals were working. So i sit on the bike and decide im going to start it again. So i fire it up turn the hazards on. When i go to get off the bike i realize the kickstand it not down. As most of us know by the time you realize that its too late. So there i am looking at my bike laying on the garage floor still running. It took me a minute to absorb what had just happened. I was soooo pissed that i did it.

Hit the throttle when the light turned green didn't pay attention and dropped my clutch next thing i know i was doing a whoolie. Good thing my buddys truck was beside me to keep me going straight, put a helava nice dent in his door he was pissed and i changed my pants. Also locked my front break up and fell over in front of a Turkey hill, picked it up walked in and bought my soda and got joked on:(

In the days of kick start levers, pulled up at a light, in traffic and... jammed the jeans down over the kick start lever when trying to put foot down. It hooks on the top of the boot. Bike decides it's leaning that direction. Slow motion over it goes, with me trying to jerk my leg off the kick start lever.

Last year... at a light, jamming the tunes, drumming on the tank, rocking the bike left and right... bump the shifter on the top of my boot, into 2nd gear. Bike jumps forward and stalls, nearly leaving me standing there. Argh...

edit: I'm lucky it stalled. My bike will run at idle when slipping the clutch into first, with no throttle. lump lump

Edited by ReconRat