Big Brother is watching

slingingchic

You are correct and constitutional rights are out the window thanks to Patriot Act.

Much worse when this facility is operational:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/

Thats the type of communication job that my dad does from what I gather, he was never able to directly tell us his job nor did we ever ask in detail because we knew we would be punished for asking a dumb question. That's the jist of it though over where he is. He was based in Kuwait from 1981 up until a few years ago when things got bad he went back and forth from Kuwait to Iraq in convoys and then by helicopter. Now he is based out of the Phillipines, hard telling what they're listening to or coding there ;)

I get my general nosiness honestly

Nothing is ever new under the Sun.

All this used to be done by people, rather than computer algorithms.

Translators correlated data input (news feeds) and added it to computer databases.

It's even been done here in Ohio, back in the 60s and 70s.

Good part time job for a college student with a language major.

Sometimes, not really a subject to discuss at length.

Not new but that is amazing technology. Hopefully they use it for good. This technology could be extremely beneficial to mankind as well as detrimental depending how it is used.

The 'detrimental' part is what we should be concerned with.

Nothing new under the sun until you realize that such widespread surveillance can be performed now at much lower cost and can be stored away forever. Before you know it, every movement can be examined after the fact by those special people who know what is good for us better than we do.

Nothing new under the sun until you realize that such widespread surveillance can be performed now at much lower cost and can be stored away forever. Before you know it, every movement can be examined after the fact by those special people who know what is good for us better than we do.

Exactly. It's like saying that smartphones were "nothing new" because we had computers in like 1980 or whatever.

It's more efficient, faster, and broader than anything before. Kind of troubling if you ask me. And I'm not even one to worry about being tracked.

I know a guy who was upper level govt surveillance who says the govt has had the 'eye in the sky' technology for a long freaking time. They can see a whole lot more than most of us would want known about our personal lives. Now they can tap our phones too.....the World Bank has had people over here marking coordinates for our city boundaries across the US and we know they already have coordinates for our residences. But they're pretty sketchy about why.