harbor freight 4x8 HD trailer build

Hoblick

so a few ago i purchased the Harbor Freight 4x8 Heavy Duty 1700lb capacity NON foldable trailer to build as a track bike hauler to haul with my sonata.

the gas prices killed me last year lugging the enclosed trailer behind the Titan. I have an upcoming trip to Jennings GP in march and needed to haul 2 bikes.

so the idea behind this is to be able to haul 1 or 2 bikes on it.

i went back and forth about buying a used trailer on craigslist, and just kept seeing junk tailers for way to much money. read some really good reviews on the non heavy duty foldable trailers all over the internet, but didnt want a foldable deal. just figured it would be a weak point in the tailer.

so saw the 1700lb capacity HD non foldable and thought that would work well for me. the other plus is it has the 6 ply tires with 1095lb capacity per tire. downside is they are 12" wheels, but we will see how she does on the interstate and if need be ill upgrade.

so day one was just spreading the parts out and seeing whats what. got the frame bolted together and then went to work.

i knew from the beginning i was going to weld the trailer here and there to give it more strength. mainly the seam between the 2 halves.

13A7095A-CB90-4445-92AC-32ACFA19A83D-1911-000000DC4DE6C744.jpg

AF9DF507-749D-4DF5-B142-9321FB69E627-1911-000000DC56E0A780.jpg

after a bit of scuffing and some rustoleum red paint protect where i had welded, i got the suspension and axel together and mounted. I pulled the bearings out inspected and then regreased with some high quality synthetic bearing grease and reinstalled.

BB6FA17B-CC96-451D-AAEE-E2224294EF01-1911-000000DC5E8B7A81.jpg

i kept going back and forth and back and forth about what kind of deck, thickness, and how i was going to secure it to the frame. ultimately i ended up going with 3/4" pressure treated plywood and carriage bolts. I really wanted to do an aluminum diamond plate top on top of the plywood, but i wanted to get the deck on and aborted that idea for the moment. i may or may not do that in the future.

I still had my wheel chocks from my enclosed trailer, so i measured out where they needed to be and mounted them up. Got the lights mounted and all wired up as well. still need to solder the connections up and heat shrink them.

i also got some angle iron and made 2 extensions in the front of the trailer to run tie down points to. i was going to weld them on, but figured if i ever needed them off id be screwed. so there were existing holes in the trailer frame, so i drilled holes in my angle iron, painted it up with some red rustoleum and mounted them up. also got the spare tire mount mounted.

then it was time for a test fitment and make sure the lights worked.

8135910F-44DC-4424-A4A8-4DF9E2FC17A4-1911-000000DC6AF41650.jpg

10969F2E-EB8F-48E5-9B05-89CB05A6B7EE-1911-000000DC7F181A19.jpg

2AA306A3-80B7-49C7-A6C2-77F39399C6C5-1911-000000DC83D59BF2.jpg

after that was done i realized i need a bit higher raise on my ball mount. the trailer is angled down in the front a little to much, so ill be shopping for something with a bit more raise. just gotta measure to find out what i need.

finally i figured id better go ahead and get the fenders mounted up. dont do this last like i did, its a pain in the ass.

6BB323AF-175C-42DF-9722-E24E4313DE23-1911-000000DC8CE03EA0.jpg

9AC83D16-6CB9-49E3-8801-C489D9460C35-1911-000000DC92115829.jpg

thats where im at now. still need to mount some tie down points for the front center and all the rear points. need to make a mount for my ramp underneath the trailer, and contemplating my next steps. Im either thinking of putting a large plastic waterproof storage box up on the tounge area, or weld in some steel, cover some of it with 3/4 ply, and frame out a vnose area with some steel and diamond plate aluminum to make it a bit more aerodynamic and would also double as a rock guard, as well i could store my gas can and some other things behind it.

then i also have the idea of mounting the base of my tire changer there, or in front of my wheel chocks (have enough room to mount it i think)

im trying to use the space as best as possible. my EZUP will fit inbetween the bikes easily.

also id like something on the plywood, paint, truck bed liner, diamond plate. jsut havent decided yet.

total cost so far

trailer - $279 (on sale and 20% off coupon)

spare tire mount - $15 (20% off)

pressure treated plywood - $37

carriage bolts and nuts - $6

4' of angle iron - $13

$344 + tax

i need to snag up a spare tire yet as well, but so far im under what i thought i was gonna be on this thing.

A couple of other questions:

- Do you have an idea on total weight when it's loaded with both bikes?

- Where did you source the hitch for your car (factory, aftermarket, home built)?

- You mentioned the fenders, what would you have done differently?

- And lastly, did you (or is it planned) to treat the underside of the plywood deck as well?

Trailer itself is probably 300-350 lbs.

Bikes can be rounded to 500 with gas. The whole setup should be around 1500, give or take

Balancing the bikes properly makes HUGE difference though.

I moved my pit bull TRS back 4" and moving the trailer by hand (with bike or bikes loaded) got to be insanely easier on my back.

Edited by redkow97

Balancing the bikes properly makes HUGE difference though.

I moved my pit bull TRS back 4" and moving the trailer by hand (with bike or bikes loaded) got to be insanely easier on my back.

I learned that back when I was road racing my BWM 2002 in SCCA. Hard to believe but just a little shift could make the thing a dream or nightmare to tow.

A couple of other questions:

- Do you have an idea on total weight when it's loaded with both bikes?

- Where did you source the hitch for your car (factory, aftermarket, home built)?

- You mentioned the fenders, what would you have done differently?

- And lastly, did you (or is it planned) to treat the underside of the plywood deck as well?

No idea of total weight yet. After its fully loaded id liked to weigh it.

I bought the hitch online, its a Curt

I would have mounted the fenders before mounting the axel and suspension. Hard to mount them after the fact.

I plan to paint the bottom side of the deck at some point.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to buy spare bearings and seals for the in-case along with that spare wheel.

Highly recommend this, especially for that trip. Might even go with bearing buddies if you haven't, or buy good replacements and buddies, do all that in 1 swap IF you need to. Hopefully you dont.

PS, did you talk to Andy today? Feel free to PM me about tire mounter pickup etc.

HF trailers are pretty tough for the money spent. I have a 4x8 folder and work that thing like a borrowed mule,no issues. Regreased the bearings when new and thats the only thing it needed. Hauled 125 12x12 patio blocks no problem, enough metal roofing for a 2800 sq ft roof, that thing replaced my pick up truck. For around $300 cant beat it.

may want to add in a support for the fenders, they vibrate/resonate and supposedly are one of the first parts to fail on these trailers....I know the vibrate like hell on mine, so I used a bungee cord to dampen the vibration.

I haven't had many issues with the fenders vibrating.

Early on I noticed that the tires would scuff the fender supports, but I wrapped them with a layer of tape to see if that was common, or a fluke. That tape has been undisturbed for about 3 years now.

So the fenders do vibrate some, but it hasn't been a problem on mine.

Oh yeah, check the bolt pattern of your car vs the trailer. Mine fits, so I can use the spare in my trunk. I test fit it as well, the spare has to be installed dished out, and it will rub the fender, but that could be removed in a pinch. Saves hauling around a second spare. :)