OEM battery in 04 R6 an AGM?

smashweights

Maybe I'll rephrase: are all valve-regulated lead acid batteries or "non-spillable" batteries AGM? I've seen some sources online that these phrases are equivalent with AGM batteries or gel batteries. Can anybody confirm this?

FWIW, this is for battery charger/maintainer purposes.

This is from batterystuff.com

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html#3

There is a some common confusion regarding AGM batteries because different manufactures call them by different names; some of the more common names are "sealed regulated valve", "dry cell", "non spillable", and "Valve Regulated Lead Acid" batteries. In most cases AGM batteries will give greater life span and greater cycle life than a wet cell battery.

Wikipedia on VRLA batteries seems to be in agreement, but I was wondering if anyone knew better about either Yamaha's batteries or Ducatis.

Doesn't look like it matters, according to NOCO:

Maintenance Free is a battery that you do not need to check electrolyte; can be wet cell, SLA, or AGM

Vale-Regulated is a battery that has a valve allowing gassing out of the battery; can be wet cell, SLA, or AGM

Sealed Lead Acid is a battery that can have wet acid inside and then it is sealed (and cannot be opened) and also an AGM

For motorcycle batteries if it is a true AGM battery it was sealed when you received it, these are also called factory activated. An SLA motorcycle battery is one that comes as a kit where you add the acid and then put the seal strip in and can no longer check acid. These would both be charged using cold/agm mode. The norm mode is for a motorcycle battery that has screw caps on each cell that are removable.

Sounds like they recommend charging sealed motorcycle batteries with AGM settings, something to consider I suppose.

AGM = absorbant glass mat. Fiberglass inside the cells that holds the electrolyte. Something to do with the way the glass mat holds the electrolyte against the lead lattice gives them deeper cycles, hold a charge longer and discharge better, at least according to the manufacturer.

AGM = absorbant glass mat. Fiberglass inside the cells that holds the electrolyte. Something to do with the way the glass mat holds the electrolyte against the lead lattice gives them deeper cycles, hold a charge longer and discharge better, at least according to the manufacturer.

Yup, and they need to be charged differently.