JASO-MA(2) Oil List

ReconRat

This is crazy. A bunch of oils aren't tested or have failed.

This is a cliff's notes of all the 10W-40 that have met JASO requirements.

From the official JASO qualified list.

Skipped all the foreign brands that we won't see in the USA.

10W-40 oils that qualify JASO-MA (the original standard):

Bike Master Performance Motorcycle Oil (Tucker Rocky Distributing)

Bike Master Performance Semi Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (Tucker Rocky Distributing)

Bike Master Performance Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (Tucker Rocky Distributing)

BP Vistra Super 4 (BP p.l.c.)

Power 1 Scooter (Castrol)

Castrol Activ X-Tra (Castrol)

Castrol Power 1 Scooter (Castrol)

Castrol Power 1 (Castrol)

Power 1 4T (Castrol)

Power 1 Scooter 4T (Castrol)

Caltex Revtex Fully Synthetic 4T (Chevron)

Caltex Havoline Fully Synthetic 4T (Chevron)

Caltex Havoline SuperMatic 4T (Chevron)

Caltex Revtex SuperMatic 4T (Chevron)

Caltex Havoline SuperMatic 4T (Chevron)

Honda ULTRA G2 (Honda)

Kawasaki 100% Synthetic Premium 4-Cycle (Kawasaki)

Motul 3000 (Motul)

Motul 5100 Ester (Motul)

Motul 3000 4T (Motul)

Motul 5100 4T (Motul)

Motul E-Tech 100 (Motul)

Motul 3100 Silver 4T (Motul)

Motul 5100 (Motul)

Motul 3100 Gold 4T (Motul)

Motul E-Tech 100 (Motul)

Motul HI Tech 100 4T (Motul)

Motul 7100 4T (Motul)

Motul 1100 4T (Motul)

Motul 300V 4T FL (Motul)

Motul 5000 4T (Motul)

Motul Power Quad 4T (Motul)

Motul Quad 4T (Motul)

Motul Scooter Expert 4T (Motul)

Repsol Moto Off Road 4T (Repsol)

Repsol Moto Sintetico 4T (Repsol)

Suzuki ECSTAR Type 04 MA SJ (Suzuki)

Suzuki 4T SP SL (Suzuki)

Yamalube Premium (Yamaha)

Yamalube Sports (Yamaha)

Yamalube FX (Yamaha)

Yamalube Standard Plus (Yamaha)

Yamalube 4 (Yamaha)

Yamalube 4S (Yamaha)

Yamalube 4 AP1 (Yamaha)

Yamalube 3 Semi Synthetic (Yamaha)

10W-40 oils that qualify JASO-MA2 (catalytic converter):

AP SUPER 4T (AP Oil International Limited)

Bel-Ray EXL Mineral 4T (Bel-Ray)

Bel-Ray EXP Synthetic Ester Blend 4T (Bel-Ray)

Bel-Ray Thumper Racing Synthetic Ester Blend 4T (Bel-Ray)

Bel-Ray EXS Full Synthetic Ester 4T (Bel-Ray)

Motul 3000 Plus 4T (Motul)

Motul 3100 Gold 4T (Motul)

Repsol Moto Off Road 4T (Repsol)

Repsol Moto Sintetico 4T (Repsol)

Repsol Moto Racing 4T (Repsol)

Suzuki Performance 4-Cycle (SOPUS)

Suzuki Performance 4-Cycle Synthetic Racing (SOPUS)

Boulevard Suzuki Performance Synthetic Blend 4-Cycle V-Twin (SOPUS)

Suzuki Performance 4-Cycle ATV (SOPUS)

Pennzoil Performance 4-Cycle (SOPUS)

• Upvote 1

There are a lot of oils left off Tom's short list... you really need to read the PDF he linked for them.

Mobil 1 is on there as is Valvoline... but you may not recognize them depending on how they registered them with JASO vs. how they package/market them here.

Yes, it listed Mobil Super Moto 4T 20W-50 and MX 15W50, from South Africa. I can't find that around here, and it's not the oil weight I was looking for. And yes, Mobil 1 4T is a good choice.

I use RotellaT in my bikes. Jaso MA certified.

No Shell oils were listed. Read closely the JASO-MA on an oil container. Many list JASO, but were never tested and/or certified. Shell listed JASO-MA on their Rotella website for a short while, and then took it down. I use the Rotella T for Winter storage. Even ran it for a while. It's the cheapest oil I could find, that was close or maybe ok for a motorcycle. I've heard the T6 full synthetic Rotella is marked JASO-MA, but I haven't seen that yet. On my bike any auto/bike oil could be used to store for Winter. Cheap is good for that.

From the Rotella website:

Rotella T1 & T3 are single weights.

Rotella T Triple is JASO DH-2 (Diesel) edit: wait, I read it wrong. T Triple is also JASO-MA rated on the website.

Rotella T5 semi synthetic blend doesn't list JASO (probably not JASO-MA)

Rotella T6 synthetic doesn't list JASO (probably JASO-MA rated, not certified)

A search of Rotella website for words JASO or motorcycle yields no results.

I also noticed that several of the Castrol bike oils were not listed as certified either. And I like those.

edit: What happens is that rating levels change a lot. Oil companies are no longer interested in certifications for every change. So they don't do them. They just put "meets the rating" or "meets the certification" on the can. They won't use the official seal of the certification, since they didn't pay up for that certification.

Edited by ReconRat

I've heard the T6 full synthetic Rotella is marked JASO-MA, but I haven't seen that yet.

From the Rotella website:

Rotella T6 synthetic doesn't list JASO (probably JASO-MA rated, not certified)

A search of Rotella website for words JASO or motorcycle yields no results.

quote]

On Rotella T6

For reference --

http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/products_services/lubricants/rotella/rotella_t6.pdf

Look in the block called - SAE viscosity grade 5W - 40 - the JASO MA certification is listed there.

I have been using the Mobil 4T for years. But lately its getting damn expensive. Lost count how many times I'm in the store and looking at the roughly $19 gallon bottle of Rottella T6 and while holding the $10.99 bottle of Mobil 4T. Grrr. Very tempting.

Edited by mello dude

On Rotella T6

For reference --

http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/products_services/lubricants/rotella/rotella_t6.pdf

Look in the block called - SAE viscosity grade 5W - 40 - the JASO MA certification is listed there.

I have been using the Mobil 4T for years. But lately its getting damn expensive. Lost count how many times I'm in the store and looking at the roughly $19 gallon bottle of Rottella T6 and while holding the $10.99 bottle of Mobil 4T. Grrr. Very tempting.

Got it, thanks. I forgot the spec sheets. The main page used to list the full ratings of T5 and T6.

No idea what oil to buy anymore. I still have a gallon of Triple T, a gallon of Castrol 4T, and 2 gallons of Mobil Racing 4T to use up first. Bought them all on sale...

I've been using Rotella T6 in my road bike and track bike for a year or so. Got tired of paying $40+ for repsol.

There are a lot of bike guys who love the stuff, couldnt count 'em all and their bikes havent blown up.

I'm really on the fence. As an engineer geek foole, I would like to see some data or an apples to apples test with a top motorcycle oil to push me off the fence. Maybe that's just too much to ask. Still it's designed as diesel engine oil and putting it in a motorcycle kinda gives me a wedgie.. :eek:

Edited by mello dude

After using up oil I already have...

I think I'm going to Winter store with Rotella T6 5W40, since I will ride it a bit in rather cold weather. And continue using either Mobil 1 T4 or Castrol RS T4, with an occasional Castrol semi syn ACT-Evo 4T 10W40 if I have to.

Mobil 1 4T and Castrol RS 4T are roughly the same price.

Rotella T6 and ACT-Evo 4T are roughly the same price.

Hell, I still store Winter bikes with Castrol GTX car oil. It doesn't hurt my bikes.

Edited by ReconRat

There are a lot of bike guys who love the stuff, couldnt count 'em all and their bikes havent blown up.

I'm really on the fence. As an engineer geek foole, I would like to see some data or an apples to apples test with a top motorcycle oil to push me off the fence. Maybe that's just too much to ask. Still it's designed as diesel engine oil and putting it in a motorcycle kinda gives me a wedgie.. :eek:

A search today for decent oil comparisons, turned up nothing but website articles comparing...

God's gift of Amsoil compared to all other oils...

I'm sure Amsoil is a decent and even great oil, but can we stop the Jim Jone's koolaid events over it's greatness.

The reason diesel oil has taken a spot in motorcycle oil choices. It's all the advanced slippery anti-friction additives that modern oils have, so that manufacturers can squeeze a little claim to gas mileage for the feds. Not good for motorcycles, and not found in most diesel oils. The creation of JASO is in great part also a result of the anti-friction additives of any rating past SG.

Some bikes have absolutely no problem with advanced anti-friction. Others will totally freak out.

You want good viscosity shear resistance. Good heat resistance. And good anti corrosive capabilities.

There is a fellow OR.net'er with a 200k+ Honda CBR that has only used Rotella in his bike. JASO certified' date=' or not.. I'll go with "real world" test results, all day long. The proof is in the pudding, as they say.[/quote']

Agreed. Tear the engine down and let's see what is in there. :D

edit: Much of what I might think is good oil, is from tearing down engines. I always ask what oil was used.

There are even mineral oils that will out perform full synthetics in almost every way.

Might not last as long, but we're talking serious performance from a mineral oil.

Edited by ReconRat

Read this and then get back to me... :)

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=56752

*speed reads* I thought that was the one you were talking about.

Looks good, especially for all the miles. Didn't get to see the pan debris.

Some oil heat glazing, and a little carbon build up in the oil.

Wondering how often the oil was changed.

But did notice it was Rotella T Triple going back in. Mineral oil.

That's what I used in the Spring this last year in one bike,

and thought it could be better oil in a couple of ways.

I'll let you know in the next Spring after trying something else.

I've been using Rotella T6 in my road bike and track bike for a year or so. Got tired of paying $40+ for repsol.

I use that along with Castrol RS 4T, I do half Rotella and half 20W50 Castrol. I have over 5k on my oil and the shifting is still great.

Which is why I still use Mobil1 or Amsoil. :)

Oops.... I must have somehow missed your oil question... sorry! :o But to answer, no I'd never used the 15w Rotella before, I was simply using that cuz I was gonna be changing it again shortly after so just wanted to put something in there that was decent but not crazy pricey since it was only for temp use. Prior to this I had used only Mobil 1 15w-50 at first then 10w-40 when it came out later on (yes, the car stuff in the 5qt jug). I did switch to the Rotella T6 5w-40 not too long after this though and that's what I've been running ever since. At 251k now and zero issues

Waaaaay da minute - I just caught you have a '89 Accord at 432k? Holy shit! (again) :eek:

Same engine or rebuilt?

(I had an '88 I sold at 206k and now have a '90 at 125k)

LOL yup..... actually 434k now, haven't updated my siggy in awhile. Never been rebuilt, pretty much only repair was a headgasket back in 2001 at 271k, but that was due to it getting hot from the dang cooling fan not kicking on. Still ran perfectly fine just building excess pressure in the cooling system. Replaced it myself and it's been a gem ever since. Still cold A/C and all.... runs great! I do need to get a muffler for it though, it rusted and fell off.... kinda loud now. Tranny is still 100% original other than the clutch... replaced the original at 321k

The body looks terrible (this pic does it A LOT of justice, lol :cry: It was from last year though).... rusting out pretty bad, clearcoat peeling everywhere, etc. But she runs great and still tows my bike around no prob!

3887f13e.jpg

You ever been on 3geez.com??

Edit..... just went out and snapped a pic

EC0E20C5-0CF2-40BB-A06B-46F4E8699833-2062-000003C1D3FB4C1C.jpg

Edited by thirdgenlxi

28K on my zx14 with rotella t6 and 10k so far on the vision. I had considered mobil 1 for the vision but the v-twin formula says it meets jaso-ma but when I looked it was not on the bottle. So I assumed that meant it was not certified. Is this correct?