Am I the only one who thinks 750cc is just right?

motociclista

It seems to me that a modern, fuel-injected, liquid-cooled 750cc inline four making 90+ horsepower and tuned for a broad torque curve would make a good Goldilocks bike: Not too much, not too little, just right. I'm not talking about sportbikes for the track right now, but a bike for the street, for both urban use and rapid inter-city transit. I can remember when nearly all manufacturers built a 750, and now almost nobody does. The post below from my blog explains my thinking.

Yesterday, as the overly moneyed and under IQed owner of a Range Rover futilely tried to out-accelerate my 650cc Kawasaki Versys from a stoplight, no doubt so he could jump in front of me before the road dropped from four lanes to two a quarter of a mile ahead, and then hold me up for the next ten miles of curves, a question occurred to me: Whatever happened to 750cc streetbikes?

Of course it was purely a theoretical mental exercise. Even without using the upper half of the rev range, my Versys easily stayed ahead of the Range Rover, which costs about 15 times as much, so it’s not like I needed a 750cc four-cylinder engine under me to keep from staring at the ass end of an overpriced SUV for ten miles. (And I was right: at the first curve, the wallowing behemoth slipped to a dot in my mirrors, proving that he would have held me up if I’d let him pass me.)

Apart from that old truism (How much power do you need? Just a little more than you have.), no, I don’t need an extra 100cc and two cylinders beyond what my Versys, my everyday ride, offers. But if you asked me to describe the perfect motorcycle to meet my ordinary transportation and travel needs, I’d probably describe a thoroughly street-oriented 750cc four-cylinder motorcycle.

Read the rest of Whatever happened to 750s?

Slightly different thoughts. Under 10lbs road weight per each 1 ft/lb torque is enjoyable.

That would be bike wet weight plus rider weight.

edit: So yes, a light weight high compression 750cc tuned for torque will do this.

Or a light weight low compression 900-1000cc.

Edited by ReconRat

As far as inline 4's go, 600cc is a boatload of power. Never felt the need for more than what they offered.

True, and my Daytona 675 is more than I need for track work. But the 750cc streetbike I'm describing wouldn't be more powerful than a 600cc sportbike. Peak power would probably be a little less. But it would be tuned for a flatter torque curve, for street use, so there would be no need to rev to five-digit rpms.

Maybe 600s are the new 750s.

You can never have enough power. Power is the most fun part of living...more, more, more, then laughing when it blows your mind how quick it accelerates.

From cars to bikes...sky's the limit! :cheers:

Oh and any bike makes a good street bike for back roads as long as it isn't a cruiser. But yeah....MORE POWER! :woo:

Slightly different thoughts. Under 10lbs road weight per each 1 ft/lb torque is enjoyable.

That would be bike wet weight plus rider weight.

I really need to weigh my bike, I bet it can do those numbers. Its got 68ftlbs for a claimed 400lb bike. I've removed a bunch of weight so real world may be back down to that claimed number.:D

I really need to weigh my bike, I bet it can do those numbers. Its got 68ftlbs for a claimed 400lb bike. I've removed a bunch of weight so real world may be back down to that claimed number.:D

Yes, that will meet that ratio of torque to weight easily.

With the power the modern 600's put out the way most people see it is if you need more power why settle for less? I know if they put a 1400 in a lighter sportbike I'd probably buy it just because. I know I don't need all the power but I want it. It's a blast to roll into all that power. I love running up the mountain roads here in first and second gear at about 75-80mph getting on the gas and feeling it pull away.