Storing loaded in safe

Scruit

1 AR is mag in bolt locked backed, no round in the chamber.

I would think this would be preferred, no? I'd imagine you have a 30rd mag in there, if you can't hit him in 30 rounds, is that extra shot going to make a difference? Plus, would it take all that much more time to slap or press the bolt release button on the side of the receiver? Not to mention with a .223 round you're already risking some serious penetration into other rooms/other houses...

, if you can't hit him in 30 rounds, is that extra shot going to make a difference?

Good point. Unfortunately some dashingly handsome and smart British leghumper extraodinaire already made it:

If I can't get it done with 30 rounds of 5.56 then I don't think the extra one will help much.

Yeah, an accidental discharge of a 22cal rimfire in my area, left the guy's house through the exterior wall, entered the neighbor's house, exited the neighbor's house and got lost. Lager calibers get more houses. You never know.

I shot my cat and the round went through her skull' date=' bounced off the floor and landed on the napkin holder on my kitchen table. Lesson learned? Yeah.. next time I shoot the cat I need to use a phone book for a back stop.

:eek:[/quote']

Maybe, I don't know, shoot it outside? :dunno:

Ferals have strokes around here all the time.

I would think this would be preferred, no? I'd imagine you have a 30rd mag in there, if you can't hit him in 30 rounds, is that extra shot going to make a difference? Plus, would it take all that much more time to slap or press the bolt release button on the side of the receiver? Not to mention with a .223 round you're already risking some serious penetration into other rooms/other houses...

Actually a fmj 9mm will penetrate more sheet rock then a hornady tap 55gr. The rifle round will start to tumble after the initial contact. The 9mm will just keep on going its trajectory. This is all according to the Gun runner podcast.

Scruit...

I'm obviously not the most well versed when it comes to guns, so if there is an issue with this suggestion, just mark it down as general ignorance...

Is there any reason you couldn't store it with the muzzle facing down?

solves all the problems, so far as I can tell.

Scruit...

I'm obviously not the most well versed when it comes to guns, so if there is an issue with this suggestion, just mark it down as general ignorance...

Is there any reason you couldn't store it with the muzzle facing down?

solves all the problems, so far as I can tell.

Haven't tried that. Don't think it would balance correctly...

I do, but it doesn't stop the rifle from rotating side to side. With the barrel up most of the weight is lower. With the barrel down the weight would be higher.

There's other advantages to being barrel down - notable you aren't pointing the barrel at your head when you remove it from the safe - plus you can reach in and grab it by the pistol grip. It can be stored with the bolt open so all you have to do is pullit out by the pistol grip and hit the bolt release, then it's ready to go.

I'll check that out tonight.