Where are all the mechanics ?

T3trailers

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be opening a shop/store in the early spring and am having a hell of a time finding a mechanic. Ive called schools,placed ads,etc, no luck. This could be a sweet deal for someone who's actually motivated. Any ideas ?

Have you tried to work on these newer cars? If you have,that should answer your question. Plus the way employers are treating mechanics, there is no incentive or want to be a mechanic.

You should specify. I would assume by your screen name that you are opening a trailer shop and looking for a trailer and hitch instal type person.

But you could also be looking for a motorcycle tech, auto tech, diesel tech, Atv tech, watercraft ect. So if your ads to schools, papers ect are as vauge as this thread here that would explain why no luck.

How about adding what exactly you are opening and what exactly you are looking for in an employee. Then add where the shop will be, hours, expected pay range, benefits ect and you will probably find someone. There are a wide variety of people here and many that could use a job.

Most good mechanics are settled in to one place where they are taken care of very well, have seniority, and a foothold in what happens at there place of work. Sorry to tell u but what your going to most likely have to do is hire somebody that doesnt really know shit and teach them yourself or drop a buttload of money, gaurunteed hours (if paying flat rate), vacation time and all kinds of benefits to lure someone away from a company they are comfortable with.

In my experience this goes for all types of mechanics since u didn't specify what type. Most of us have put in a lot of hours, busted knuckles, and blood to get where we are at and it takes a lot to move us. Plus most of our tool boxes are huge. That shit sucks to move.

Most good mechanics are settled in to one place where they are taken care of very well, have seniority, and a foothold in what happens at there place of work. Sorry to tell u but what your going to most likely have to do is hire somebody that doesnt really know shit and teach them yourself or drop a buttload of money, gaurunteed hours (if paying flat rate), vacation time and all kinds of benefits to lure someone away from a company they are comfortable with.

In my experience this goes for all types of mechanics since u didn't specify what type. Most of us have put in a lot of hours, busted knuckles, and blood to get where we are at and it takes a lot to move us. Plus most of our tool boxes are huge. That shit sucks to move.

This is a true point too.:) I just went through alot shitty employers before I got where I'm at.

My bad. I should clarify, motorcycle tech. Basically someone wanting to rent shop space from me. Be your own boss and do PDIs on new bikes coming in and servie older bikes. Shop will be inzanesville and has alot of different things going on within the store. I know its vague, just guarding some of my ideas. If interested, you can contact me and we coukd set up meeting and discuss details. Our company will promote you and take care of your advertising as well.

When you say PDIs, you are referring to being an OEM dealership or some brand at minimal. It probably would be a very good idea to tell what brand you are working with. Also, for independent techs in the motorcycle industry, most are in their own shops and if they are going to pick up and move in with you and pay rent, that's going to be even tougher. Why pay rent to someone when they already are? Unless the rent is lower which would be good to also promote and advertise...

Finally, you better be prepared to pay a good bit for a qualified tech. A head tech is going to be expensive and you need to promote the amount of work they will be doing, will it be seasonal, and if there will be more than one tech involved. If you are going to schools and looking for newer/green techs, you are going to be in a world of hurt. You really need a master tech and then grab a newer tech or green tech so that they can learn from the master tech and build experience. Too often, out of school techs don't last long. Reason being is they are typically on their own and just cannot keep up.

Tell us what brands you will have (I think Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kaw and Polaris are the only brands there now.) and that will help your cause. If you are going to be a dirt shop or a street/dirt shop, etc...

Veru vague isn't the best way to go about things and if doing something in the spring and not a major OEM, you have plenty of time... You might also want to share what your plans are in terms of shop size and marketing push.

I know its vague, just guarding some of my ideas.

Not to be a dick, but I'm guessing that you're not exactly protecting trade secrets here...spill the beans, be honest with your potential employees and they'll show you the same respect.

Not being a dick at all. I appreciate the different perspectives. Just waiting to sure-up a couple of contracts to lock things up. I will be more explicit when im secure about things being in place. Being vague tends to be a fault of mine...ask the little lady. Owning two different businesses, ive learned to be guarded until i can get a head start on things in general. Thanks for the responses. Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, what ever the case may be,lol.

I think you may be the owner of Dreamers? I think that's got to be it as they were looking to pick up KTM as the one shop went out. They'll also have Polaris and Kawasaki I think?

If you already have an OEM, just say what brands. I know it wouldn't be a consideration to me as a tech (stop using the word mechanics, by the way) to work in zanesville unless with a shop that has OEM names. You saying PDI lends it to be a shop with an OEM. Just say as it is already a done deal if so...