Help me haggle on a bike!

smashweights

I would say $8500 would be what I would want to pay (if I had that kind of cash!). Start at $8k since you keep mentioning that number and just settle on the in between value. The middle of the line $9k is pretty accurate, but he isn't going to get $9k cash in hand anytime soon from the dealer or really any private party during the coming months. If he wants it sold quick then he is going to have to be flexible and you know he is motivated and wants it gone. Yes the bike retails at $12k but just like any other vehicle, they lose a lot of value after it is ridden off the lot. The first service at 600mi is a dealer ride around and oil change, no more than $145 recommended (1 hr labor rate and oil/filter) from Ducati North America. Every 2(?) years and 7500mi is valve check and belts. The belts can cost $60 each from Ducati or $60 a pair from California Cycleworks, the valves range depending on how many shims you need, 4 valve cover gaskets costs like $9 total and most oil filters cost ~$12. It won't cost $1000 for SCHEDUALED maintenance, but that doesn't mean it won't cost that sometime if something needs replacing.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The price should be the same' date=' as both bikes are four-valve, testastretta engines.

Ducs are metric, but the service tools are required to adjust the shims, locking the cam gears, turning the engine, etc. It's no different than any other bike, in regards to special tools, but a Ducati valve train isn't like any other bike. You won't have the tools to do a valve adjustment available at Sears.[/quote']

New Monsters are 2V Desmodue.

They dont use standard/metric sockets or something?

I'm sorry, did you say $1,000 for routine scheduled maintenance? :wtf: I assume the S4R was a bit more for the 7500 mile service given the 4-valve engine vs. 2-valve...

Yup, $1,000 and that was cheaper than going to Ohio Ducati by a decent amount. We did change the belts on both bikes but that was just a minor cost in the grand scheme of things. Don't really know about the new Monsters but I'd have to assume it's similar. You can always call and ask just so you are prepared.

Anyway, the routine maintenance isn't going to kill you cost wise, it's all the sweet farkle you can buy for these bikes. :D

Yup, $1,000 and that was cheaper than going to Ohio Ducati by a decent amount. We did change the belts on both bikes but that was just a minor cost in the grand scheme of things. Don't really know about the new Monsters but I'd have to assume it's similar. You can always call and ask just so you are prepared.

Anyway, the routine maintenance isn't going to kill you cost wise, it's all the sweet farkle you can buy for these bikes. :D

Where are Duc dealers in Ohio? Do you have to take a warrantied bike to one of them?

Do you have to take a warrantied bike to one of them?

I would take an educated guess here an say it's prolly the same as for a car: if it falls under routine maintenance, you can take to anyone or even do it yourself as long as you can document that the work was done according to specs. As far as repairs under warranty or recall work, that would obviously fall under the dealer's umbrella.

Where are Duc dealers in Ohio? Do you have to take a warrantied bike to one of them?

Cleveland/Akron area. Yes for all warranty work.

http://www.ohiomotorcycle.calls.net/default.asp

http://www.northernohioducatiandtriumph.com/

As I mentioned before, I'd do all(most) service with a Ducati dealer until you know (think) it is sorted. You definitely want to do the first and 7500 mile with them. After that, do whatever works for you.

Congratulations on the bike. The Monsters are really fun and comfortable bikes. Very confidence inspiring. Also, make sure you give yourself some time to adjust to the power delivery. It will be much much different than your R6 but once you figure it out, you'll never want to go back.

Mary

Edited by Mary#17

Congrats on the new bike! Post pics when you get it.

Will do!

@Mary: yeah, i'm really curious to see how the power delivery feels. I was never one to really push the upper RPMs on the R6, for some reason i just never felt right cruising around with the bike in it's real powerband RPMs and always ended up in too high a gear most of the time. So I think the lower/mid range power and torque will fit my riding style a bit more. That and hopefully be more comfortable of a ride! Gonna be a really tough winter with it hanging out in the garage til spring, but that's the price you pay to save some $ I guess.

@NinjaDoc: Japan has been good to me and I'll always have fond memories

Yeah, the 20 hour road trip to KC... then the 4 months of waiting for nice weather...

Gear up there are plenty of days in Ohio that are dry enough to ride in the winter. Is ride 45 miles one way to work as long as the daytime temps were over 30* and it was dry. (no ice).