Ohio Little Dragon Tail

HeavyDuty

I resemble that comment!

In my defense, I was full of fear and common sense. And, I was riding a new bike. I was still coming to grips with the suspension, shorter wheel base and upright stance. I hadn't quite made that leap of faith yet.

But yeah, I was scared shitless.

I still laugh about this whenever I think about it. It was a perfectly acceptable reaction to a road that road certainly isn't for everyone.

I really don't like it being compared to Deal's Gap either, blind rises and driveways make this road much more dangerous. It surely couldn't be considered as a destination road for people out of the area.

I still laugh about this whenever I think about it. It was a perfectly acceptable reaction to a road that road certainly isn't for everyone.

I really don't like it being compared to Deal's Gap either, blind rises and driveways make this road much more dangerous. It surely couldn't be considered as a destination road for people out of the area.

First time I rode 536 was in '02 or '03 on a POS Yamaha Radian with questionable tires. Back then, 536 was often a part of our routes. As the group's pace picked up (due to rider experience, more capable bikes, etc) we started avoiding 536. It's claimed lots of clutch levers over the years. There are better roads for corner carving in the area.

Just like Fight Club a good road is not something you share on a public forum.

Too many riders will mess it up. It will get too much attention, the police will start patrolling it more.

Good riders, once they have proven themselves, can be brought into the fold once they have been deemed worthy.

I am going to get flamed by the squids & the squids that think they are beyond a squidly existence that will say they need to ride roads like this to gain experience. I say bullshit.

Loose lips kill great roads.

Nonsense.

Everyone knows about 555 and it's not ruined, there's no heightened police presence.

None of these roads are secrets, they're state routes for chrissakes.

Any dick with internet access can find every twisty road in this state, and there are numerous guides to roads that spell them all out anyway.

Just like Fight Club a good road is not something you share on a public forum.

Too many riders will mess it up. It will get too much attention, the police will start patrolling it more.

Good riders, once they have proven themselves, can be brought into the fold once they have been deemed worthy.

I am going to get flamed by the squids & the squids that think they are beyond a squidly existence that will say they need to ride roads like this to gain experience. I say bullshit.

Loose lips kill great roads.

Jeez...I've been a very bad boy.I'm gonna have to go back and delete 80-90% of my posts.I tell everyone I can about every good road and every newly paved twisty road I come across.:)

BTW...it's loose gravel that kills good roads,not loose lips.

Edited by drc32-0

I used to be scared to death of gravel. Now I just look for the cleanest line and blow right through it. Avoid the brake lever and you'll most likely fare alright.

*most likely

It only took me one wrecked shin, some broken bones and a totaled bike to learn that lesson.

Standing your bike up to avoid gravel in the middle of a turn is a bad idea.

I used to be scared to death of gravel. Now I just look for the cleanest line and blow right through it. Avoid the brake lever and you'll most likely fare alright.

*most likely

The cleanest line in freshly dispersed gravel (ie: from a vehicle exiting onto an intersecting gravel drive then spinning the tires & throwing gravel all over the corner just before you happen by) will sometimes dump you on your ass. I know.

Yeah' date=' but what option do you have? Upset forward momentum by grabbing the brake? Often enough, my best choice has been to "ride it out" and do my best to not upset the bike.[/quote']

I agree. Once you are committed to the corner at speed, "riding it out" is best.

• 2 weeks later...

It is so far away for me, but sure does look like an the perfect road for my supermoto. LOL....Heeheheheheheheheee So, many roads are not worthy of my moto, but this one sure looks like it would give it a run for its money.

(Do it moto style...grab a healthy dose of throttle and hold on, because it will stick.)

Edited by OhioBob

I agree. Once you are committed to the corner at speed, "riding it out" is best.

Only problem that can come up from this is if you are hitting a long strip of gravel. Get the bike too sideways and you gonna high side when it catches. But as you adn other said, its best just to ride it out and see/react to what happens.

• 11 months later...

My wife and I rode on this accidentally.  What it was we had rode south on 7 from Hubbard down along the Ohio River. We wanted to head back and came upon 536N. I thought well, its going the right way. I would never have ridden it the first time with a passenger. It was a real challenge. It was much later that we found out that we had ridden on the Ohio Dragon. Not a route for speeding and when it says a 90 degree turn up ahead it means a 90 degree turn up ahead. 

It is so far away for me, but sure does look like an the perfect road for my supermoto. LOL....Heeheheheheheheheee So, many roads are not worthy of my moto, but this one sure looks like it would give it a run for its money.

(Do it moto style...grab a healthy dose of throttle and hold on, because it will stick.)

I was born and raised in the "Boro", some kicks ass roads down there too. B)

• 4 weeks later...

Nice switchbacks in Dean foresr...http://i.imgur.com/Ouu8b9Q.jpg....Road are a lot cleaner down on 522 and 93 haeding toward Ironton,Do not tell nobody..

What road is this switchback on? I see something simillar to it on the map on 93, but this picture appears to be much tighter. Contemplating a Dean route from Hocking south to Lawrence County twisties vs Zaleski area south to Lawrence.