Ohio Little Dragon Tail

HeavyDuty

Has anyone else here ever Ridden RT 536 and Rt 522 in Southeast Ohio If not give it a try it a fun challenging run. Here is a link to a map. I will post a map of a road we call the rollercoaster later it’s a 12 mile run that will keep you out of your seat most of the way thru it. Also looking for some other good roads to run next year that are close by.

This is a good 35 mile challenging ride with close to 400 cures and elevation changes. The roads are in good shape No semi trucks are allowed I have never seen any LEOs on these roads there is very light traffic watch for gravel in the cures after any heavy rains

For a close view of the road from the map link above drag the little yellow man that is on top of the sizing bar and drop him on the map to see that part of the road and surrounding area.

Edited by HeavyDuty

. You can keep that crazy mean & nasty 536.

To funny

Anyone riding this road should take their time on it the first time thru. 536 is one of my favorite roads in Ohio I ride 2 up with the wife we ride it 4 or 5 times a year and usually make at least 3 runs around it when we go. Some times you need to get the floorboards sparking on the curves you just need know your limits be safe.

There is only one thing more fun than sticky tires and a curvy road.

Edited by HeavyDuty

I take people on it if they ask but it's been a long time. After much fanfare and celebration about the road a few years ago I took one of our resident fast guys on it with a few others. "Get me the FUCK off this road" is an exact quote, he would not turn around and go the other way, I blame fear & common sense. Now when I'm in the area I do 255 then try to get to 260.

I heard about 536 when I was riding the actual Dragon years back. Someone down there found out I soon moving to Ohio and told me about it-called it the closest thing to 129 he had ever ridden.

Its surely not a road to make good time on!

Just like Fight Club a good road is not something you share on a public forum.

Too many riders will mess it up. It will get too much attention, the police will start patrolling it more.

Good riders, once they have proven themselves, can be brought into the fold once they have been deemed worthy.

I am going to get flamed by the squids & the squids that think they are beyond a squidly existence that will say they need to ride roads like this to gain experience. I say bullshit.

Loose lips kill great roads.

Didn't ride these this year but here some reports I made from last year.

Ridden on 9/2/11 – Ducati 1098. more... 536 (uphill from 7), this road has just completely deteriorated from our July 4 ride earlier this year. It was a really good time last trip and not as much fun this time around. They put in 4 foot wide tar strips or patches that go across the road from start to finish and they are slick. There is also a lot more debris than last time around. It might be slightly better going downhill but I would recommend 255, 556, 800 or 26 as they are much, much better. 255 is a blast! - Mary (9/6/11)

Rode this on 9/2/2011 – Ducati 1098. Took 255 south to 7. more... This road is just an outright blast. Probably my favorite road in the area. Newer pavement. Clean. Lots of back and forth turns. Just plain fun. Very little traffic or debris. A must ride for this area!!!! - Mary (9/6/11

Instead of 536, I'd recommend 556 if you are in the area. 536 was fun but the pavement and road quality was really bad.

"Ridden on 9/2/11 - Ducati 1098. 556 (downhill to 7) – Great road. Can be technical. Pavement was in good shape. Only a little gravel and mostly at the ends of driveways. Good time." - Mary (9/6/11)

Edited by Mary#17

Too many riders will mess it up. It will get too much attention, the police will start patrolling it more.

Good riders, once they have proven themselves, can be brought into the fold once they have been deemed worthy.

I am going to get flamed by the squids & the squids that think they are beyond a squidly existence that will say they need to ride roads like this to gain experience. I say bullshit.

Seriously? Very selfish attitude.

I am very grateful to those who have been kind enough to share the good roads as I don't have the free time like I used to for exploration.

Mary

Floorboards? : wtf:

Yep floorboards my main bike is a 2012 Heritage Softail Classic got it this year to replace my 2003 100 year anniversary Lowrider that was totaled in a T bone accident a young girl on a cell phone ran a stop sign in front of me I hit her at 40 mph messed me up pretty good also. I only managed to put about 8000 on the bike so for this year. I also own a 1977 KZ1000 that I bought new in 1976

OK back to 536 On the first sharp curve going down to the river (15mph) I can only manage between 30 to 35 mph on the Harley anything over that carries me over the center line I would like to try it solo but the wife will not get off out in nowere land. How about those small speed bumps over the culverts that are in some of the curves they will pucker your ass up if you don’t know they are there.

A smart rider will never ride an unknown road over the speed limit the first time thru. The experience rider will never take a less experience rider thru a new road over the speed limit either. The one consistent think I have learned over the years. Motorcycle riding is one of nature’s ways of weeding out the stupid.

Edited by HeavyDuty
  • Upvote 2

A smart rider will never ride an unknown road over the speed limit the first time thru. The experience rider will never take a less experience rider thru a new road over the speed limit either. The one consistent think I have learned over the years. Motorcycle riding is one of nature’s ways of weeding out the stupid.

THIS!*

:plus1:

Edited by TheBrown57

Just curious. Who deemed you worthy to ride the good roads? Apparently you know of some grading system or test?

Mary

Settle down there Francis.

Perhaps I'm not good enough to ride those roads, perhaps I'm exactly the element you do not want there ....en masse.

My point exactly.

I wouldn't use the speed limit as a distinguishing line between smart/experienced and not.

I have no statistics to back it up, but I'd put money that the overwhelming majority of bike accidents DO NOT happen on the first time down a new road.

Smart street riders(and drivers) are willing to always err on the side of caution no matter the situation and no matter the ego.

I've ridden a road or two. I didn't know it was possible to ride one under the speed limit. I will allow for more reserve on unfamilair terrain though.

Speed ratings for corners are pretty subjective and they cover school busses, trucks, & old ladies. Ohio is very conservative with speed 'suggestions' for curves compared to a state like WV. A curve marked 25mph in OH is equates to a 35 or 40 in WV...I do tend to pay more attention to the WV signs.

I might give that under the speed limit thing a try one of these days.

Whatever you're doing is fast on 255, I can't keep you in sight.

I don't know what it is about that road but we like each other. You guys know I'm kidding about not shifting out of 1st; I do make it into 2nd two possibly three times at the most and if I had to wouldn't have any problem staying in first. Going toward the river and it’s a whole other animal, with three jumps and one that's almost impossible to stay on the road in your lane.

I really like 260 now and it's safer because it doesn't have the blind rises. It has relentless curves and is kind of hard to ride with a group because on most roads after a set of curves you have a chance to slow down for the group to reform before the next set of curves. Not on 260 I'm usually fighting with me, here is a straight slow down and get everyone back together, OMG another curve sign that has multiple curves on it, should I wait for the group to get back together? But I'm going to miss this set of curves, fuck it I'll wait on the next straight that never happens, repeat over and over.

I must be one of the stupidest riders ever then. I don't go the speed limit on any road ever no matter how many times I've not been on it. Speed limits are for the 90% of idiots that can't ride or drive and for municipalities to make money and flex their nuts over the dumb ;)

I take people on it if they ask but it's been a long time. After much fanfare and celebration about the road a few years ago I took one of our resident fast guys on it with a few others. "Get me the FUCK off this road" is an exact quote, he would not turn around and go the other way, I blame fear & common sense. Now when I'm in the area I do 255 then try to get to 260.

I resemble that comment!

In my defense, I was full of fear and common sense. And, I was riding a new bike. I was still coming to grips with the suspension, shorter wheel base and upright stance. I hadn't quite made that leap of faith yet.

But yeah, I was scared shitless.