Need advice on getting bike #2.

JackFlash

The C14 is one bad ass hyper sport touring machine, only a good option for very experienced riders in most situations and circumstances.
C14...big heavy- powerful machine that I would not recommend for a somewhat new rider.
...take a look at the 1st Gen Concourse. Not as big and bad as the C14, but a solid touring rig.

Concours might be good

A Concours is the way to go...nice an smooth. It's a great bike.

I will certainly consider this info for my 3rd bike. Hopefully I will be ready for a bike this size in a few more years. I'll go ahead and read up on the 1st generation Concours though, just for fun.

It is a nice looking bike. I haven't talked to anyone that doesn't like it.

>> https://www.google.com/search?q=concours+1400&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=kgQ&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Y_60UKWwK4mw8ASL9IHQCg&ved=0CD8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=900

I will certainly consider this info for my 3rd bike. Hopefully I will be ready for a bike this size in a few more years. I'll go ahead and read up on the 1st generation Concours though, just for fun.

It is a nice looking bike. I haven't talked to anyone that doesn't like it.

>> https://www.google.com/search?q=concours+1400&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=kgQ&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Y_60UKWwK4mw8ASL9IHQCg&ved=0CD8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=900

Come see me. ;)

The Yamaha FZ8 is here. It's a naked bike. Below is a picture of the Fazer 8, the same bike with some faring. It's not yet sold in this country but I have a funny feeling we may see it on our shores sooner or later.

Opinions?

FAZER8-thumbnail2.jpg

yamaha-fazer8-gt-abs1.jpg

Edited by JackFlash
Adding a sexy picture.

FZ1 is wicked awesome.....FZ6 is also awesome.....FZ8 would be PERFECT. And yes the FZ8 is available here in the states. Heck they seem to be available at the Pony, and I obviously forgot about the FZ8.

http://www.cycletrader.com/New-Or-Used-Yamaha-Fz8-Motorcycles-In-Ohio/search-results?make=YAMAHA|2321194&model=FZ8|764934123&state=Ohio|OH&vrsn=hybrid

FZ8 would be PERFECT. And yes the FZ8 is available here in the states. ...I obviously forgot about the FZ8.

I stopped at Yamaha in Hebron on the way home yesterday. I sat on an FZ8 and it fit me just fine. It's the Fizzer 8 that I would be more interested in. It has a bikini faring. I wonder if anyone here has seen one in Canada. I think they came out in 2010.

I stopped at Yamaha in Hebron on the way home yesterday. I sat on an FZ8 and it fit me just fine. It's the Fizzer 8 that I would be more interested in. It has a bikini faring. I wonder if anyone here has seen one in Canada. I think they came out in 2010.

In that case, the FZ6R is going to be the better choice for you it seems. Lots of accessories and would make the better touring bike. Riding position is pretty much like your Suzuki, and you can get risers and all sorts of other goodies.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-by-bike/yamaha/fz6r-09-12

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2010-kawasaki-ninja-650-vs-2009-suzuki-gsx650f-vs-2010-yamaha-fz6r-89460.html

yamaha-fz6r-to-be-launched-in-the-us.jpg

Edited by Pokey

• 9 months later...

I like the idea of Sport Touring, a quick bike with places to put things, that is easily maneuverable and good on the twisties. I don't need a rocket but I want the power to put a lot of real estate between me and trouble at a moment's notice.

I want a place to put my pants and jacket liners, and rain gear, along with other things that my pockets will not hold but that I will want to take on the road with me; items like Bug Slide, for cleaning off my face shield each time a big yellow bug splatters in the center of my viewing area, for example.

My question is, what is the most logical step up from what I ride now, to the riding I want to do? Right now, my riding is just around Ohio. Later, I may wish to ride into another state or even farther and may wish to spend some nights on the road.

I'm not interested in the cruiser style of bike or the leaning over, crotch rocket style. I like the standard / upright riding position, much like what I have now, without a lot of weight on my arms or strain in my back, a bike that when I have to get off of it, will be for reasons other than needing to work a kink out something that has cramped up.

Well, I would sell you my SMT but the seat height may be a problem as it will deliver on all your requirments.

The #1 best option for you right now is the Honda NC700X CrossTour as long as you are being honest about not wanting top end speed. For the amount of coin you have, you can buy a new one or come close.

After that, look for the a Wee-Strom or V-Strom. Older Kawi Concours, Ducati Multistrada, or Triump Sprint ST will suit.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/4096744167.html

After that, BMW has been putting out bikes like you want for decades. Search for ST/GT versions. F800 or R1200ST are good places to start. The new F800GT is a solid option and will put you in the same category as the VFR only with more touring options available.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/4083614626.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/4039797462.html

I just rode my VFR out west and back on a 3,000 mile trip over the last week. It is a great balance for me between the sport bikes and touring bikes. I have owned an FJR and it is a great highway flyer and will eat up the miles. It handles twisty country roads just fine, but the weight was a bit much for around town riding and solo travel. My 1000rr is great fun, but not my first choice for riding hundreds of miles day after day (not much storage capacity either).

The VFR is an excellent solo touring bike for me and has plenty of storage. The mods that really worked for me were helibars, taller windscreen, and an aftermarket seat. The bike is very capable at highway speeds, twisty country roads and loaded down for touring. A great all around bike.

DSC01246.JPG

:biker: This is my first year of riding. I've had a blast riding with many of you. I'm looking forward to riding with many more of you in the years to come. Now, I need some advice and ideas about my next bike. Here's the details.

I bought my first bike, an '08 Suzuki GS 500F, in April. It only had 1300 miles on it when I got it and I put about 2700 miles on it since then. I'm counting on riding it through next season and putting many more miles on it. And since I have less of a learning curve next year and can eat up more miles faster than this year, I hope to be a much more experienced rider by then. At that time I'm thinking I may wish to upgrade to a little more motorcycle. I'm just not sure how much more motorcycle. This is where your years of experience and expertise come in.

I like the idea of Sport Touring, a quick bike with places to put things, that is easily maneuverable and good on the twisties. I don't need a rocket but I want the power to put a lot of real estate between me and trouble at a moment's notice.

I want a place to put my pants and jacket liners, and rain gear, along with other things that my pockets will not hold but that I will want to take on the road with me; items like Bug Slide, for cleaning off my face shield each time a big yellow bug splatters in the center of my viewing area, for example.

My question is, what is the most logical step up from what I ride now, to the riding I want to do? Right now, my riding is just around Ohio. Later, I may wish to ride into another state or even farther and may wish to spend some nights on the road.

I'm not interested in the cruiser style of bike or the leaning over, crotch rocket style. I like the standard / upright riding position, much like what I have now, without a lot of weight on my arms or strain in my back, a bike that when I have to get off of it, will be for reasons other than needing to work a kink out something that has cramped up.

It doesn't have to be a new bike because $$$'s are an issue. But if I can sell my present bike for nearly what I paid and add another $3000, I should be able to spend between $6 and 7000.

My limitations are that my inseam is 29 inches. My current bike has a 31.1 inch seat height. I can flatfoot it at a stop, but I usually don't because I don't need to. The Connie 14 is tall for me but if it could be set up for my height I could consider it, a few bikes from now. I know it's a lot more bike than I should consider at my present experience level. It's just what my fantasies point me towards down the road. The other large sport touring models make my mouth water just as much.

Give me ideas, advice, answers, or threats. I'm all ears. Thanks to all.

I was in the exact same position as you when I stepped up to the Katana. I don't have enough saddle time on various bikes to offer practical advice, but I would suggest hitting some dealers and planting your butt on as many bikes as you can. 'Pony in westerville always has stock moving in and out, and Motorcycle Maxx out on 23 in Lewis center has a ton of bikes. I stop in from time to time just to sit on something I haven't seen before.

Personally I'm stuck trying to decide whether I want a VFR800 or an Aprilia Futura to replace my 'Kat. (The carburetors are infuriating on the 'Kat, part of the reason I haven't rode much this summer).

I can do a weekend in fair weather with my little tail bag, I'll show it to you on the leaf ride.

Attached please find photo of the sexiest SPORT-Touring bike ever.

post-17069-13805032157193.jpg

Unless you find one that's been modded to correct the plethora of factory installed failures, you'll be spending time/money fixing a bike that doesn't go. Great engine. Poor electrics. Then again, the VFR is plagued with the same issue, so I guess it's really inconsequential.

The only thing I'd heard about on the Futura was it took Aprilia a few tries to get the ECU fuel mapping right. You sure you're not thinking of the Triumph Sprint ST?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

I am back on a Vstrom 1000 again, just love those damn bikes for how versatile and reliable they are. C14 went to some weird tall guy that is a member here, he sure seems to be enjoying the hell out of it, and I am glad it went to a great home. Buy what stirs your soul and just makes you want to go ride, if you decide you want a change.....lots and lots more choices out there.

Unless you find one that's been modded to correct the plethora of factory installed failures, you'll be spending time/money fixing a bike that doesn't go. Great engine. Poor electrics. Then again, the VFR is plagued with the same issue, so I guess it's really inconsequential.

unless you purchase a VFR with the poor electrics problem already fixed! Like a nice black 06 one :D

Viffer ftw! Not only because this place needs another VFR rider, but they are outstanding do-all machines without being overly powerful, yet sexy on the eyes.

VFR800 that is, not the 1200

What's the matter with the 1200 other than it's too large of a

step up for me at my riding level?

Edited by JackFlash

I sat on a vfr1200 at pony today. Didn't do it for me... the 800 on the other hand :)

And since nobodies mentioned it yet, I think OP should check out cycle-ergos.com. You can put in your gs500 and then compare it to other bikes you might be interested in.

And to Hijack the thread again: The RST 1000 is crazy sexy! How dareth thee besmirch it with comparison to the RF900R! Look at pictures of the instrument cluster on the RST. It looks ready to do a run on the Deathstar for crying out loud. (I think the zook has more power, and you could conceivably blind someone with it's taillight though.)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

post-17069-13805910750212.jpg

post-17069-13805910885447.jpg

post-17069-13805911053346.jpg

Plus, there is nothing at all wrong in having more than one or two motorcycles.   Eh?

Oh yes......2 or more is always a wise and fun option. You do not have to break the bank either, so many lightly used bikes out there it is crazy!