Steep Gravel Driveway Advice

JohnG

Ok, so this is probably stupid... But here's the deal. A buddy of mine near Sugar Grove lives in a house that has a long, rather steep drive that's mostly gravel with a lot of the larger stones in it. I usually put my car in first gear, just to keep from riding my brakes. I've been wanting to stop in and visit him on the bike (he has health issues) but I'm really concerned about navigating DOWN the driveway. I want to have both feet down for stability, so that negates using the back brake alone, and I'm thinking the front brake would be a recipe for disaster. What if I kill the engine and use the clutch to brake the rear end?

Helpful advice needed, please.

Just start slowly with the front brake lever in hand, then once the bike begins to descend the hill be sure to ride the brake all the way to the bottom. Biggest problem would be big stones knocking the front tire around a bit so just go as slowly as you can in case there's trouble with that. You CAN use the rear brake in light moderation so long as you dont lock it up, and I'd wouldn't ride the clutch down with a dead engine as it could lock the rear wheel as well. Be safe!

^^^ Both ways

- I'm kinda at how steep is steep? I might be tempted to do the dirt bike thing - stand on the pegs and cover the rear brake. Its probly a gotta be there thing, but covering the front could an invite for a wash out.

- Caveat for me - I yanked the linked brakes off my ride. - Hated them.

Edited by mello dude

Park the bike at the bottom of the hill and get some exercise. Remember, the Russians used a pencil.

Can't leave my bike up by the road. Can't see it from his house - afraid the country folks would snatch it. :rolleyes:

Depends how long and how steep the grade.

On a ride earlier this year, UP and I got detoured onto a shitty gravel (larger stones) road with steep incline and an even steeper decline. It was pretty hectic. Street tires are not meant for those conditions. We did the decline under 5mph, with little to no traction. At one point, I had both brakes locked and was still sliding down the hill out of control. My bike easily could of wound up on it's side.

I've ridden dirt bikes in much worse conditions than that without issue, but I wouldn't do it again on street tires.

How steep can a gravel driveway possibly be? I bet you could ride it pretty normal. Bike is most stable with both feet on the pegs, the rear brake may be enough to control your speed depending on traction, but you should probably be prepared to use the front.

Your dead-engine clutching sounds like a terrible idea.

I am of the opinion that anytime you get off road, switch to dirtbike mode and use primarily the rear brake, feathering the front if needed to slow even further. Keep your weight back as much as feasible, if you're not used to standing up don't.

I suppose there is a point where a gravel drive is too steep for a motorcycle with slick tires, but I think you will find that limit going up.

Don't over think it and stress yourself out. How would your 10 year old self handle it on a BMX bike?

sounds like a pain in the ass, just go in the car. that is, unless he is going to die, and he just HAS to see a 2001 vfr before he dies.

(ok, if that is really the case, and he really wanted to see your bike before passing, i'm REALLY sorry, i didn't mean anything by it)

Killing the engine and using the clutch to control speed is a nice way to ride down a steep hill. Even leaving it at idle in first gear will work well.

Front brake works OK as long as you have a very light touch. If you are in first in idle the front should help to keep speed under control.

I keep my feet on the pegs but thats probably easier on a Vstrom than a sportier bike.

However I am no expert on riding heavy bikes off-road. Only done a couple steep hills. May want to ask in the Dirty Talk forum or on ADV rider. There are a lot of people doing crazy things with adventure bikes that are not that much more capable.

Craig