Getting blood drawn the wrong way

Gump

Anyone ever had blood drawn and it hurt like hell and continued to feel wierd?

Had my blood drawn and she stuck the needle in my left arm, on the hand side of the elbow crease, about an 1" 1/2 from the inside of my elbow. towards the right.

Hurt like hell while it was in there all the way down my forearm. Then the middle of my forearm felt ice cold and hurt like hell after she was done for a few hours . Kinda of an electric feeling. Now if I stretch my arm out straight it hurts like somethings disconnecting or a electric feeling in the same spot on the forearm. The needle site is fine. No bruise. It was 4 days ago. It's getting better, I'm just wondering what the hell she hit.

Edited by Gump

MT might know for sure.

Several things it could be but I dont know alot in that area. I dont draw blood much at all "read only done it twice" I start IV's. Every area has different protocol so I dont know how yours was done. Here we just use a little "butterfly set" its a short tiny needle that is like a small bee sting so stuff like that really doesnt happen. Some still use large bores and that sounds like what you had. Nerves, Tendons, Ligiments lots in there. If it wasnt one of those moblie places that did it Id go back and have it looked at if it not better yet.

Must be nerves. Sleeping is a pain. Whenever I stretch my arm out in the morning it's like small strands of tape breaking in the middle of my forearm. No desire to eat flesh yet but slight desire to hunt down the nurse and donkey punch her.

As of now, As long as you are moving and able to use your hand and fingers with no loss of sensation, ur good to go. No worries.

Keep ur elbow moving so that it doesn't hurt the next time it moves all of a sudden. The pain is sort of the pain ur getting when u take a dry scab off of a healed wound. Except in this case it's smaller and inside.

I drew blood on people for a couple years, I really don't know the anatomy that well and didn't really need it for the job. Were talking thousands of people I drew blood on and many had no veins or veins that would move as you attempted to penetrate them.

That being said, it is not a very complicated process on a person with nice solid squishy veins.

I have never had anyone complain about their arm or finger hurting/numb to the extent you are describing when I drew blood on them, or from any other person I worked with. On hard to get veins there are times where the needle would be moved around in different directions... I've seen people have their blood drawn from their arteries at the wrist/forearm rather than from veins and still have never heard that complaint.

I'm not a doctor and it has been a short while since I worked in the medical field. Anything is possible, but dang, what the heck did they do? Seems odd, but I'm no doctor.

Fingers weren't numb, middle of the forearm, palm up side, about a 5" patch, ice cold when it happened. the nurse freaked cause i was yelling and getting pissed when she did it. needle stayed still. she stated shed done this thousands of times never seen it before. Went to lift something today and it felt like rubber bands snapping inside my forearm. She put the needle near my funny bone, close to all the gunk. Who knows, still lifted with no problem after the pain went away. Can't understand why the pain would be 5"'s from the site. I'm guessing the nerves are playing tricks on me.

Find the needle site and tattoo "NOT FUCKING HERE!" with an arrow pointing to it.

Nerve pain is a bitch. Was sparring about a week and a half ago and the guy I was sparring with crammed his elbow into the side of my calf muscle as I went for a kick. Went numb for 2 hours and I'm still walking with a limp.

nurses love me. my veins are big in my arm there. they have no trouble finding one to stick it in.

I had a nurse put an IV in my foot once and the doc flipped out on her for it. apparently you can do it but it's an absolute last resort. she did it because my arms were wrapped up. he told her to put it in my hand instead.

he apologized to me at least 6 times. I guess it's a bad bad idea or something. didn't bother me the least though.

Edited by serpentracer

I had nerve damage from a blood donation once, same symptoms. Every time I lifted my arm above my waist it would tingle for 4 months!!!

I also had a bad experience when my roomie in college gave blood. She was looking at me, I was looking at her blood draw, the lady stuck the needle in then blood squirted out of her arm and hit the lady... I tried really hard to not look horrified, but i failed, then my roomie looked and flipped out for a bit.

anyway, no more blood giving for me, not at the red cross mobiles.

I had nerve damage from a blood donation once, same symptoms. Every time I lifted my arm above my waist it would tingle for 4 months!!!

Wierd and sucky at the same time isn't it.

Sparky,

Now that you mention it, I'm going to be super nervous the next time I need blood drawn.

When i was in school and the other students would try to get blood from me i had several issues. They would go all the way through my veins (sometimes squirting at the) or hit a nerve. I was the only one that could get blood from me. I had a few issues when i have given blood. But i will still give blood and i know i will heal ( just takes time) if they mess up. I make sure i am well hydrated before (seems to help).