On the mend

ScubaCinci

I had previously posted on here somewhere that I partially tore my Achilles tendon which required surgery. Well, the surgery was today and went pretty well. Only snag was that they did a nerve block in my lower leg to mitigate the use of anesthetic and help with post-op pain. They must not have performed it well is it didn't really work. I woke up in quite a bit of pain (8-9 on a scale to 10). After several painkiller injections and a second nerve block the pain subsided enough that I could rest a bit and go home. Over 9 hours later, my lower leg is still numb/pins and needles. It's a very weird feeling.

Anyway, my riding is done for the year and it'll take 4-6 months to completely get back to 100% but it had to be done. At least I get to take a week off of work to rest and luckily I can work from home for a few months afterwards. The staff at Good Samaritan hospital in downtown Cinci were all great - if anyone on here works there - thanks!

You picked the right hospital! Love it there and have a few friends that work or have worked there. It is the only hospital I've ever had to stay overnight in due to an illness and was very pleased with them

Hope your recovery is smooth and quick!

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

Surgery was a success and wasn't all that bad except I happen to get a bad chest cold immediately after surgery. I thought I felt something coming on before but wasn't sure if it was allergies or not. Took me almost 3 weeks to totally shake that. Been working from home since a week after surgery (lucky for me, it's an option).

Things have progressed quicker than anticipated and I've finally been cleared to ditch the boot and walk without crutches although no running, jumping, standing on tippy toes (ballet is out :D), etc. Hurts to walk a bit and I started real PT last week. Because of scheduling, I ended up going to PT 2 days in a row this week...mistake. I was really hurting on that third day but I'm walking and feeling much better. I keep eyeing my bike in the garage hoping for a warm spell.

I'm also cleared to drive as long as I manage to not have to jam on the brakes :) Returning back to the office for the first time on Monday.

I woke up in quite a bit of pain (8-9 on a scale to 10).

I always wondered about that scale. How do you know what a 10 is? Do they smash your thumb with a hammer and say 'Ok, that is an 8' to give you a point of reference? I asked a nurse this question once, she didn't have a good answer.

Glad to hear you are doing well though.

I always wondered about that scale. How do you know what a 10 is? Do they smash your thumb with a hammer and say 'Ok, that is an 8' to give you a point of reference? I asked a nurse this question once, she didn't have a good answer.

Glad to hear you are doing well though.

They have pain scale signs all over the hospital rooms and descriptions for each level. I forget what they all are.

All I know is I was in enough pain that I literally could not lay still...they could barely hold my leg still enough to do the block a second time. With the block they use just enough anaesthetic to keep you under during the procedure and virtually minimal painkillers. They were still wheeling me into the recovery room when I woke up. With that, and someone cutting into my leg, cutting my tendon, grinding down my heel bone, then stitching it back up. Yeah, I was hurting and I actually have a pretty high pain tolerance. I walked around for a week with a broken arm when I was a teen. The dr couldn't believe I didn't know it was broken. Well, yeah it hurt but it still worked ok lol.

Glad you are doing good! I am currently on the mend from my shoulder surgery "3 weeks today", getting stir crazy and still unsure as to when I return to work or riding. :(

A manager at our shop just came back to work after being off for 5 weeks with his shoulder cleanout/repair. He goes back in for the other side next month. Needless to say, its been a bit more relaxed at work this past month:D. Not had mine done, but they aren't in the best of shape so its probably inevitable for me someday.

What did you have done? Rotator work?

A manager at our shop just came back to work after being off for 5 weeks with his shoulder cleanout/repair. He goes back in for the other side next month. Needless to say, its been a bit more relaxed at work this past month:D. Not had mine done, but they aren't in the best of shape so its probably inevitable for me someday.

What did you have done? Rotator work?

Full surface tear on rotator cuff, bone spurs, badly torn labrum, torn bicep, tendinitis, bursitis, arthritis, cyst on humerous. Pretty much FUBAR!!!!!:D The pain is really intense, and the recovery is pure ass. Hoping to be released on Dec 4th, but me recently getting a bloodclot has added to the drama.

I think I may need my shoulders done as well. While I was impaired by the tear for a few months prior to surgery, I was really doing a lot of lifting and my shoulders have been bothering me since. Not rotator cuff but I think both are impinged and probably bursitis. Using crutches did NOT help one bit let me tell you. One of these days at therapy for my leg I'm going to ask the therapist about it. Getting old SUCKS.

Full surface tear on rotator cuff, bone spurs, badly torn labrum, torn bicep, tendinitis, bursitis, arthritis, cyst on humerous. Pretty much FUBAR!!!!!:D The pain is really intense, and the recovery is pure ass. Hoping to be released on Dec 4th, but me recently getting a bloodclot has added to the drama.

Holy hell, WTF did you do?

I'm wondering what he USED to do that created all this damage

I am pretty ambidextrous in that regard, and if I were pulling that hard i would be needing a new dick as well. Nah I pitched growing up, coached baseball, and also lifted quite a bit. So old injury plus new injury "riding offroad with Swingset" and that pretty much did me in. Doc says I am 100% fixed now, so I am looking forward to getting active again. I miss riding and shooting so much.

I am pretty ambidextrous in that regard, and if I were pulling that hard i would be needing a new dick as well. Nah I pitched growing up, coached baseball, and also lifted quite a bit. So old injury plus new injury "riding offroad with Swingset" and that pretty much did me in. Doc says I am 100% fixed now, so I am looking forward to getting active again. I miss riding and shooting so much.

Sweet, let's go hit some trails soon. You'll be fine.

:rip: