Hotwire a zx6

idodishez

In TN on a Gap trip. Lost keys somewhere between OH and TN. Pulled the lock cylinder. Have access to all the wiring connections. Have been able to Hotwire it for headlights, dash lights, starter crank, etc. but so far none of the Hotwire combinations will

Grant an engine start. Anyone have any insight on how to Hotwire this to get it to start?

Nobama 2012

Quick buy an entire new lock set with key? Don't forget the gas cap lock/seat lock. Or, some motorcycle shops will cut keys. Call them, and they would know local locksmiths anyway.

No idea how to hot wire until you mention which bike you're working on.

edit: oh yeah, don't forget to put the kickstand up before trying to start it, if it's got a shutoff.

Edited by ReconRat

For a 2005 ZX6R:

At the ignition switch:

W = battery

BR = ignition

BL = tail 1

R = tail 2

W/BK = battery (another one)

W/G = tail 3

GY = ignition

The brown is attached to the 10A fuse at the fuse box, so keep an eye on that.

The white is attached to the starter relay. (30amp fuse across the relay high side)

This is the "ignition system circuit"

edit: this is not the starter switch on the right bar, still have to push that.

And don't forget the side stand.

That other ignition wire, GY (grey?) goes to the ECU

edit: service manual downloaded from the Carl Salter website

oh crap edit: some of these bikes are equipped with an Immobilizer System, and the key has to match the ECU.

Edited by ReconRat

Are you hitting the start button or just trying to get it to turn by touching the wires like in the movies? The old 73 cb I had, had the ignition key broke off in the ignition before I bought it so I had to hot wire it and the starter button had to be pushed to get it to start. Try wiring it up so everything powers up then cross the terminals on the starter solinoid. Might work but it also could be set up to not start with out the proper key which means its not going to be cheap to fix.

...This guy makes it look easy. Lol.

I saw that. I'm pretty sure he's just jumping the starter switch connection for the right handlebar, and would still have to turn the key or jumper that stuff. Wouldn't make a bet, but just a guess. Third wire in his connector would be front brake light.

I think the jump he did in the video was to make the bike think the key was in the "on" position. I think the third hole would be for the "P" (parking light) position. But I think the newer sportbikes have a more sophisticated ignition set-up.

The issue was the resistor. Never got it to fire so we broke the lock cylinder and used a screwdriver to start.

Then the lock fell back into plave and the steering Column locked while I was pulling out o a gas station. Just dumped the bike and broke the clip on. Cop just took the police report. Been an eventful weekend. I'm

Going to get drunk.

Nobama 2012