Import Plastic?

BeauCrawzy

Anybody ever deal with imported (Hong Kong) fairings? I hit a deer with my bike and he banged up most of the plastic on the front. Knocked out my headlights too. I didn't lay the bike down and there was no mechanical damage so I didn't turn it in under insurance to save me some cash in the future.

I want a set good enough to get me on the track for the last couple days at Mid-Ohio.

Any experience?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Kawasaki-07-08-ZX-6R-ZX-636-6R-2007-2008-Fairing-Bodywork-z-k-/150891036490?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2321ce7f4a&vxp=mtr#ht_6410wt_1397

I bought a rear cowl from Hong Kong. Definitely not OEM quality but a heck of a lot cheaper. I've heard others give the "you get what you pay for" review on the kits.

I would give them a run if you're looking to go on the cheap. Otherwise save the pennies and go OEM. I'm sure there's a bunch of good used OEM stuff out there too but you'll have to dig a bit and may have to paint to match.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Fair enough. What threw it off from OEM? Was is flimsy, fitment goofy, paint looked unprofessional? Thanks for letting me pick you brain a bit.

I'm looking at replacing all the large fairings on the bike. The left side and tail were cracked due to my overconfidence/grabbing a handful of throttle at the top of the esses at Mid-Ohio. The left side, front fender, and front upper were taken care of via deer head.

I had a set on my 06 and they were decent quality and fit well. The stickers started peeling and the "clearcoat" was thin. I didnt buy them but if my next set was equal to those I wouldnt hesitate. I have heard bad things about some and good about others. My experience is only Honda related.

Fair enough. What threw it off from OEM? Was is flimsy, fitment goofy, paint looked unprofessional? Thanks for letting me pick you brain a bit.

I'm looking at replacing all the large fairings on the bike. The left side and tail were cracked due to my overconfidence/grabbing a handful of throttle at the top of the esses at Mid-Ohio. The left side, front fender, and front upper were taken care of via deer head.

Fitment wasn't bad. Paint didn't match OEM perfectly. The paint job looked fine. The plastic was thinner and didn't have a super solid feel. It's kind of like shutting the door on a economy car vs shutting the door on a Lexus. Both doors work but one has a more positive quality feel.

Personally, if I was tracking it I'd go with the Chinese stuff. If you drop it again you won't cry.

Sounds like it'll serve the purpose at least. I didn't want to but something that looks pretty okay on ebay just to find out it's total junk.

I will check out that motosfansclubs stuff to see if they have anything that fits my bike.

Thanks again for the help. I lucked out big time because that deer didn't break anything really expensive i.e. me. Once I get parts here I'll have the old girl back together in an hour or so.

I had a set from ebay. Most of the holes were off and filled with paint. Each hole was close but each one was off a little bit so it added up and since the fairings tie together one side wouldn't line up. I had to take them off and dremel and file the holes a little bigger. I also had one of the lowers melt from exhaust heat. Luckily my stock lowers were still good and matched. From a distance it was ok but the clear coat was very thin and the paint was chipping away up front after 1 season. I would suggest getting a set of track fairings (shark) to get you through on the track this year. Then save up this winter and get oem for the street. Then since you have a track set you won't have to worry about tearing up you oem fairings.

I had a set from ebay. Most of the holes were off and filled with paint. Each hole was close but each one was off a little bit so it added up and since the fairings tie together one side wouldn't line up. I had to take them off and dremel and file the holes a little bigger. I also had one of the lowers melt from exhaust heat. Luckily my stock lowers were still good and matched. From a distance it was ok but the clear coat was very thin and the paint was chipping away up front after 1 season. I would suggest getting a set of track fairings (shark) to get you through on the track this year. Then save up this winter and get oem for the street. Then since you have a track set you won't have to worry about tearing up you oem fairings.

I was seriously considering track plastic as well. The price on the shark stuff is very reasonable.