best chain lube? - just another oil thread

max power

I'll never use wd40 on an o-ring chain. Take an o-ring, put it on a nail or whatever it will fit on ans put it in a cup of the stuff. O-ring swells up and comes off. Clean with kerosene, it won't damage rings and it has better lubricating properties than wd, which is designed to displace water.

I never needed to put an o-ring in a bowl of wd40 soup, but if that's how you roll then keep on keeping on. Your ignorant statement is the one I'm talking about. Most hardest, longest miles will be had on a clean wd40 chain. The negative sayers are the ones that never used it which just makes me laugh and say douche in my head. Valid comments are made from experience, not opinions. :sexytime:

My chains will own your chains son.;):lol: ...seriously, they will.

NinjaNick turned me onto wd40. Cleans and lubes all in one step. The maxima chain wax I had been using I did not like because of fling off and it's messy when dry. After watching that video, I may try the klutz klr next when my can of we runs out.

If no one else has tried it the new Spectro Z-clean is awesome. Works alot like the super clean, but a bit longer lasting and has a zinc additive to decrease chain and sprocket wear. Been through atleast half of a big can and really like it. Little to no fling and easy to clean off.

http://www.spectro-oils.com/?p=8037

• Upvote 1

If no one else has tried it the new Spectro Z-clean is awesome. Works alot like the super clean, but a bit longer lasting and has a zinc additive to decrease chain and sprocket wear. Been through atleast half of a big can and really like it. Little to no fling and easy to clean off.

http://www.spectro-oils.com/?p=8037

I love the Bel-ray superclean and am in total disbelief at those who don't like it, I may however give this Spectro a try for the hell of it.

well apparently DuPont went and f#cked with my fav. lube, all bets are off now:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/dupont-motorcycle-chain-lube-2012/index.htm

Thank's for that update. Would not have noticed the slight description difference on can.

imho,the reason wd-40 works so well, is the main ingredient is Stoddard fluid, which is chain cleaner. And a modern o-ring chain doesn't need lubed, it only needs to be cleaned.

I pretty much just wipe o-ring chains down, and don't bother lubing them anymore.

so far, I haven't noticed a difference. If so, then I'll start lubing them again.

DuPont multi dry wax stuff if I can find it. I've got a few old cans to use up.

edit: and yes, DuPont dropping or changing that item not only pissed off all the motorcycles, but all the bicycles also.

A wise move would be to bring it back for the reasonably good market share.

They didn't even market it for that, and they had a decent chunk of change.

DuPont announcement:

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/multi_use_lubricant.html

Edited by ReconRat

Hmmmmm.....I have tried almost everything, and I feel the Bel-Ray superclean is the best stuff out there.

Dont have a bike:wtf: but on the Quad the Bel Ray super clean is the best I've found too! You do pay a bit more for it, but its worth it! I've tried about 5 others including PJ1 & Maxima, really dont like the wax stuff at all.

Shouldn't you lubricate the rollers and teeth?

probably so, but it gets thrown off anyway. Or collects grit and dirt which is worse. so the sprockets wear out with the chain, darn. I suppose there is some extra heat build up in metal to metal contact without lube also.

edit: The Bel Ray is pretty highly rated by people and websites. I'll have to get some so it can sit around while I don't use it.

Not sure, I may already have some... sitting around while I don't use it.

Edited by ReconRat

It'll just get nasty again and rob horsepower once you put thick nasty wax on. But to each their own.

Been using Wd40 before every ride since I started using it in 2004. Never had to replace any chain ever for wear. Over 22,000 miles on my first chain with no sign of damage. Only replaced it because I went down in sprocket teeth for more low end back then on my 636. People talk the science about it, blah, blah, but my chains perform better than theirs so I don't listen. I put my bike on rear stand after every ride so it only takes me 1 minute to spray WD on a paper towel and apply it to my chain as I use my other hand to spin the tire. Never had it destroyed any O-rings like the others argue that never tried it.

That's what I use, but you wil gunk up your chain no matter what commercial wax you use.

Goodluck. :cheers:

I've used all sorts of stuff. My favorite' date=' at the moment, is Maxima Chain Wax. I don't seem to have the fling issues that this thread mentions, but I don't use a ton of it. Warm up the chain, give it a few squirts and let it set up for a few minutes. Quietest chain you'll ever ride on. Well, at least that's been my experience.[/quote']

I've used this stuff since 2001. It definitely quiets the chain and although it ( as most any lubricant does to some extent ) gathers road/brake fodder, I continue to believe in it. I've never had to replace a chain due to breakage/damage while using this stuff. Only reason I replace chains is from stretch and recommended mileage service intervals. If the chain hasnt failed by 1/2" of stretch or 10k miles, it gets replaced anyway. $150 for a chain is far cheaper than a new left leg or engine case.

I know wd40 is decent at cleaning, but for a lube on a chain that has to endure serious centrifugal forces? Sure it works......temporarily, but no way I'd trust it for everyday riding as I usually kick the tires and light the fires, hop on and go......would suck to need to spray it down every time I want to ride. Also, there's NO friction/HP advantage that anyone could possibly notice unless they're trying to cut .000's off a roadcourse lap or an E.T. at the drag strip/mile.

Edited by Hellmutt

I have a can of belray super clean that I've never used. I don't like it because it's white.

I also have a can of maxima chain wax, maxima synthetic chain lube(clear). wax is less oily so it doesn't come off.

and actually I watched a honda service video and they used hypoid gear oil to lube the chain. they said you need to get it in the rollers of the chain. and use a wax spray on the chain to help keep the lube in the rollers.

if you ever look at your chain closely you will find that you can move the rollers side to side between the link plates. under those is where you need the lube the most. I've seen a chain lose several of those rollers.

here's a picture of my buddy's DID ERV-2 chain that lost some due to lack of lubing it. the ink pen is pointing to one that is missing,

3623875982_c45f878492_z.jpg?zz=1

Use a pickle to clean it first, then use the dupont teflon chain lube. :)

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/chain-pickle/

I actually did this on my SV. The consistency of the pickle guts made it really easy to grab dirt/grime off the chain, but it's a very messy process. I really didnt notice my chain THAT much cleaner than traditional methods... I still scrubbed it with an old toothbrush and stuff. Plus my garage smelled like pickles for a week -- neither good or bad, but jussayin'.

I'm just sad they changed the DuPont Teflon formula... that was good stuff. :cry:

Nick, there is a wealth of information online concerning the effects of wd40 on rubbers and plastics. My statement wasn't ignorant, it was informed. As an aircraft mechanic I deal with a lot of rubber seals. Guess what I soak them in to loosen them up to make them easier to remove? You can keep on using that redneck juice on your chain, idgaf. I'll stick to k1, its cheaper and works better.

Nick, there is a wealth of information online concerning the effects of wd40 on rubbers and plastics. My statement wasn't ignorant, it was informed. As an aircraft mechanic I deal with a lot of rubber seals. Guess what I soak them in to loosen them up to make them easier to remove? You can keep on using that redneck juice on your chain, idgaf. I'll stick to k1, its cheaper and works better.

:werd:

I actually did this on my SV. The consistency of the pickle guts made it really easy to grab dirt/grime off the chain, but it's a very messy process. I really didnt notice my chain THAT much cleaner than traditional methods... I still scrubbed it with an old toothbrush and stuff. Plus my garage smelled like pickles for a week -- neither good or bad, but jussayin'.

I'm just sad they changed the DuPont Teflon formula... that was good stuff. :cry:

You are aware the pickle thing is a joke though right? I assume it would get some grime off, but it certainly isn't an actual proven method of cleaning....especially considering when that article was written.

Sent from HTC Incredible

• Upvote 1

Where did the article say it was satire? :dunno: It just mentioned it was a cheap / unusual way to clean the chain... I gave it a shot. Meh. I saw it was published on April Fools Day, but I guess I dunno enough about webbikeworld to know if they're notorious for pranking articles on that day.

Like I said, the only benefit was the pickle skin was nice to protect my hand as I was spinning the rear tire w/ my other hand, but I still took a toothbrush to the chain to scrub it.

Edited by JRMMiii

I sure love the know it alls that really don't know how many actually use it and get crazy mileage on their chains (skullcrusher).Makes this forum entertaining. Especially when they come from those that never really ride (helman). ;):p

Edited by NinjaNick