help removing front sprocket with no chain to brace it.

mojocho

Looking for advice...

A cliffnotes history:

06 R1 spun a bearing and ruined the thrust plate on the lower crankcase. Found a replacement motor and dropped it in. The motor came with what looks like the stock 530 17T sprocket up front.

Trying to remove the front sprocket on my R1. The chain is already off so I can't use the normal method of bracing my rear wheel with a 2x4 or push down on the rear brake. I can't put the chain on because the front is a 530 and my existing chain and rear sprocket is a 520.

Putting it in gear and trying to loosen the countershaft nut just ends up spinning the shaft along with the nut when using a 25" breaker bar.

Any suggestions on how to remove the nut?

Not sure I understand what the lock or screwdriver is for. Is it a temporary "master link" to connect the chain together? Or am supposed to brace it against the front sprocket?

I guess if I had a 530 chain I'd have just hooked that up and braced the rear wheel like normal

Anyone have a used 530 chain they don't want?

Can I use an impact wrench? I was always told not to put it in gear or else risk ruining the dogs. I don't think I'd be able to use the impact wrench without some sort of resistance.

Impact gun. Definitely.

Also, if I understand it correctly, a 520 chain and a 530 chain are the same pitch and length between pins, but the 520 is a narrower chain than a 530. Ditto for 525, but its width is (of course) larger than 520 and narrower than 530.

Standard thread, I believe (rightie tightie, leftie loosie).

Not sure I understand what the lock or screwdriver is for. Is it a temporary "master link" to connect the chain together? Or am supposed to brace it against the front sprocket?

I guess if I had a 530 chain I'd have just hooked that up and braced the rear wheel like normal

Anyone have a used 530 chain they don't want?

Can I use an impact wrench? I was always told not to put it in gear or else risk ruining the dogs. I don't think I'd be able to use the impact wrench without some sort of resistance.

Edited by YSR_Racer_99

When I changed the clutch basket on my dirtbike I screwed around for awhile trying a bunch of crap; bike in gear w rear brake, screwdriver jammed through sprocket, using vicegrips on a clutch steel....nothing worked. Went to sears and picked up a C3 1/2" impacts they had on sale. Once the battery was charged, the nut was spun off in less than a second. I was debating about returning(renting) it when the purchase was made, but after the first use it was given a home in my toolbox.

OK, sounds like impact gun in nuetral. I'll try that. Never used one so this should be fun. I've got a decent sized compressor (20 gallon) so I should be good.

@ Mag: yeah, i'm throwing it away so I may try the vise grips first.

@ Rhill: for the cltuch basket I ended up getting a clutch basket holder. it was worth it.

@YSR Racer: you're right. The front sprocket is 530 so it's wider than the width of the 520 chain between the plates so it would not fit.

I'll give it try tonight and see how it goes.