What to do with the TL

2talltim

As many of you know ill be picking me up another bike this weekend. In no way is this a feeler thread, it is not for sale yet, im just trying to weigh my options and would like some opinioins. If you already didnt know "I Love My TL" it is by far the most attached i have ever been to a bike, it is set up and personalized exactly the way i like it, i would not change a thing to it. I go above and beyond maintaining it, you wont find a better one anywhere mechanically sound as mine. I only put good stuff in and on it. (full yosi system, speigler brake lines, ek chain, driven sprockes, PR2 tires, kevlar brakes, zero grav screen, K&N filter, ect, ect). I do all my up keep before it ever needs it. (oil, brake fluis, fork oil, valve adjustment, repack the yosi's)so to keep from babbleing on its in tip top mechanical shape.

Here is where my thoughts come in about selling it. I promised my wife a bigger, better bike and with my new one coming soon im going to want to do some longer trips and i want her to come with me, her 93' 600 shadow is no touring bike(small tank , small lugage, and the seat sucks). She wants a larger v-star touring model and honestly her shadow is prob only worth about $1500(it will be for sale very soon).SO that is the only reason I'm thinking of maybe selling the TL is to take the money to buy her another bike, if it werent for that there is NO WAY i would sell it.

Its not that i am incapable of parting with it, the problem lies in to me right now with my emotional attchment to it i say i would have to get $3500 for it(thats with all my extras, lugage, bags, old parts that have been replaced, wheel stands, ect.) I know some of you just chuckled at my price, your thinking its a 15 yr old bike with 40K on the clock, but i feel it in better shape than most 8-10 yr old bikes.

Ok please go easy on me, this really is hot on my mind rigth now. I am blessed to have a wife that loves to ride with me and enjoys the same things i do, and she deserves to have a nice newer bike too, but the only way that could happen rigth now is if i part with my beloved TL. Insert thoughts and comments below, how much do you think its worth, what would you do, ect, any feed back is appreciated.

photobucket-9218-1343873151120.jpg

Edited by 2talltim

The market dictates the price...

Sell if you need the money, or just save the 2000 you're probably gonna get out of it and keep it.

See thats the thing if $2000 is all i can get, there is NO WAY, all emotions aside and speaking strickly financial i will keep it or track it for that price.

Jamal (malaysian invasion) is about to sell his Kat and one of his cars for 3k...and he lusts after my tl. Maybe you two can work something out.

If he lust for yours he would cream his jeans for mine with all the goodies and extras...I guess I would entertain offers to see where things stand, let me know

Your extras aren't helping the price much. Do you still have the oem stuff that you can slap back on the bike and sell off the extras in addition to the bike itself? I bet you might get closer to that price your looking for doing it that way.

Your extras aren't helping the price much. Do you still have the oem stuff that you can slap back on the bike and sell off the extras in addition to the bike itself? I bet you might get closer to that price your looking for doing it that way.

Dibs on the goodies if you do this.

That's a decent idea, but I feel the selling point is going to be the extras, I hear of people making out on those deals and getting burnt, its always a option.

No. You misread my post. Try again.

Keep your TL and put a touring handlebar on it. Use the trailer money to buy your wife the bike she wants. Don't buy the Strom. Make good on your promise to your wife. You can tour on the TL. You just have to modify her a little bit.

Sorry I was ORing and driving..didn't read it right...your saying put bars on the TL and bam instant vstrom?...:lol:

Clearly you don't want to part with the TL, so keep it. That's the type of thing you'll always regret.

I was also going to ask why or if you need a "new" bike when you've clearly got one you love. If its a matter of gaining versatility, perhaps there are other less expensive options that would allow you a touring bike, and still leave more money for a "new" bike for your wife?

Had a little chit chat with the wife, she said we could seller hers soon,then save up and as long as she got one by spring she would be fine with that.

Oh yea did I mention I'm trading HER quad to get the v strom...I really am a asshole..:lol:

Basically. Same engine' date=' only better. LSL bars and soft luggage and you're all set. Then, you're not stuck in NC/GA/TN/WV on sexy roads with a fucking V-Strom under your ass.

...and you get to keep your promise to your wife, which I've found is often enough good policy. :dunno:[/quote']

I know what your saying pauly and I've tried that. I've done a few 1000mile trips on her before, and I've already got a nice set of soft bags for her, along with throttle miester and seat pad but the TL is no touring bike for a old man. The lean it too great (even with heli bars), pegs are too high, seat too flat,tank too small, and too much wind to the face. But she is a blast in the twisties.

And the fact that its the same motor is what lured me to the strom, I already know it top to bottom. Funny how the is almost a 40 hp difference though

Edited by 2talltim

Ouch, they de-tuned almost 40 hp out of my beloved throbbing twin liter? Those sick perverts. +1 on the tl being a shitty touring bike. Mine has heli bars which make it a bit more comfy, but 120 miles/tank is no bueno for long trips. It may get more on strictly freeway, I've heard legends of 150 but Idk...the tl should be used for what it was designed for: scaring the shit out of yourself periodically and carving twisties and sweepers....and power wheelies. I would love to sell Jamal my tl and buy yours but that is a delicate ballet. His brother needs to sell his civic so he can buy jamals Kat and Taurus so he can buy my tl so I can buy yours....the planet's align, a king is born.....you get the idea. I've already successfully masturbated to the idea of owning yours, it has pretty much everything I want to do to mine....just gotta ditch that ugly fender, bolt on a hugger, integrated tail light and some pazzo shorties.

• Upvote 1

Just my opinion here about selling and the extras. People don't really realize that any extra mods or parts you do to a bike (or car for that matter) you won't get back and it doesn't really raise the value. You said it yourself in your opening post that it was set up and personalized just the way you like it. The odds of finding someone that wants exactly what you wanted and is willing to pay more for it are very slim. When I got my bike the first thing I did was pull off half the stuff the previous owner had and started personalizing it to me. So if you are totally set on a price that is higher than market value due to the mods you made, I suggest keeping it. I'm sure there will be days down the road you'll totally be in the mood to hop on it and go for a ride. At least this way you'll be able to do it instead of regretting selling the bike :D

Personally Tim, I wouldn't sell the TL since it means so much to you and also tough to replace. And I definitely wouldn't do anything until after you get the Strom, just in case it's not what you expected.

If the wife is willing to wait until Spring, save up until then so she can get her ride.

And the fact that its the same motor is what lured me to the strom, I already know it top to bottom. Funny how the is almost a 40 hp difference though

Where did you get the 40hp difference?

Specs I find put the DL1000 at 105hp and the TL1000S at 125. Thats 20hp by my math :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_TL1000S

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Suzuki/Suzuki-DL1000-V-Strom-2002-current/

Still a significant difference but not 40hp.

They did a similar detuning to the DL650 from the SV650.

Craig