Touring western USA this summer?

Earache

Dunno if this belongs in this section or not , but here goes....

We're looking for another rider to join us on our annual ride out west this year and I thought I'd post here to see if anyone wants to come along. We have three going so far and would like a fourth to keep even numbers for purposes of splitting rooms,etc.

Riders so far: Me (Honda ST1100) Dave (Yamaha FZ1) and Joe (Yamaha R1). Not a speed contest by any means, but you'd have to at least be able to keep up with the slowest bike, which would probably be my ST1100. I'm old but not all that slow.

Schedule:

-Friday, May 30 – Indy to Denver, CO - 1,050 miles

-Saturday, May 31 – Ride to Park City, Utah – 515 miles –Hampton Inn, Park City, Utah, two rooms reserved at $139 per night each

-Sunday, June 1 – World Superbike Races

-Monday, June 2 – Ride Park City, Utah to Reno, Nevada -520 miles

-Tuesday, June 3 – Reno / Tahoe to Shelter Cove, California – 375 miles

-Wednesday, June 4 – Hang in NorCal

-Thursday, June 5 – Hang in NorCal

-Friday, June 6 – Done hangin’ yet?

-Saturday, June 7 – Shelter Cove, CA to Prospect, OR – 313 miles

-Sunday, June 8 – Crater Lake, Oregon

-Monday, June 9 – Prospect, OR to Twin Falls, Idaho – 551 miles

-Tuesday, June 10 – Idaho Falls, ID to Yellowstone National Park

-Wednesday, June 11 – Yellowstone National Park

-Thursday, June 12 – Yellowstone National Park to Cheyenne, Wyoming - 428 miles

-Friday, June 13 – Cheyenne to Denver, CO – 102 miles ( we can do Rocky Mountain National Park or Mount Evans this day as well).

-Saturday, June 14 – Ride back to Indy

I've done this two week trip west 5-6 times and it's always a good time. We've been to all of the locations listed and can pretty much promiseyou have a great ride, see cool sites and ride some fantastic roads.

Any takers?????

A few pictures from past trips....

Route 50 in Nevada, known as the Lonliest Road in America:

120-2055_IMG.jpg

Lake Tahoe in Nevada / California;

120-2076_IMG.jpg

Emerald Bay in Tahoe:

120-2069_IMG.jpg

Ouray, Colorado:

IMG_6630Medium.jpg

Moab, Utah:

IMG_6578Medium-1.jpg

IMG_6435Medium.jpg

IMG_6387Medium.jpg

We'll be riding deserts, mountains, redwood forests and oceanside highways. A little bit of everything so no one type of bike is better suited than another. Pretty much any type of bike - aside from a cruiser - would be suitable.

IMG_5214.jpg

IMG_5101.jpg

IMG_5415Medium.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

Colorado2006055Medium.jpg

Colorado2006076Medium.jpg

Your bike would need new tires, oil and brakes before we left. We usually get tires and oil chnages on the road in Oregon or Denver on the way back. Have yet to find some tires that'll last the whole trip.

There's an outside chance that Joe might trailer us to Denver and back. He has a race car trailer capable of holding 5-6 bikes. This would save 2,100 miles of wear on your bike and might eliminate the need for buying tires on the road. You could either fly to Denver or just drive out in a car. His truck is only an extended cab and isn't big enough for four on a 1,000 mile drive. If he does trailer, I think I may fly out.

All guys going, with the exception of me, are pretty cool and easy to get along with.You'll most likely make some pretty good friends with them unless you're a real asshole or something. Let me know if you would consider the ride with us and I'll answer any questions you might have.

Thanks!

Eric

sounds amazing, but i dont have the $'s to pull this one off.

how many times has the guy on the r1 acomplished this ride?

He did the last one an a 'Busa.

Dave did California and back on an R6 3 years ago - and he's gonna be 40 years old this year. SAtill acts like he's about 15 though.

My buddy Jason has done it three times on a CBR929.

Wow. I may have to think about this one. That's exactly what I've been wanting to do.

There's some guys from CR that have been on it before and you'll see them next week in Chicago. You can ask them about the trips.

costs: Rooms run about $100 per day on average and you'd split it with a roomie. So figure on $50 a day. Gas is whatever it takes for you to ride around 7,000 miles. It's about 200 gallons for me or $700 or so.

Food and beer is whatever you wanna spend and so is gambling in Nevada.

It ain't 'zactly cheap, but you'll not see this much of the USA for less money either. I pretty much know where all of the good roads and sights are along our route, so we'll see as much as we can. And we're flexible enough to see whatever you might want to see.

lol pretty honest fella!

The truth hurts.:D

It's never gonna be cheaper than it will be this summer. So if you can swing the vacation time and cash, it's a ride not to be missed.

I do some big assed ride each summer - either out west or someplace in Europe. Hoping to do Mexico soon , too. Anyone is always wlecome to come along.

I've been at my job for a long time and get 6 weeks per year vacation. So burning a couple of weeks isn't all that big of a deal. If I had only 2-3 weeks per year, then I'd definitely have to rethink this kind of ride.

Still, hope some is able to come along!

Man I wish I could take the time off work cuz that is something I would absolutely love to do. Unfortunately there is just no way I can take 2 weeks off in the middle of summer. :mad:

ditto sucks having a family run business and you are the oldest child!!!

Or maybe it said "Who would do this"

Oh yeah, I remember that. I don't think this is the same guy. Might be. I remember that though. Some guy posted pics about a ride like this. That was a while back. Hmmm.... I wonder if it is the same group of guys.