Chain help wanted

velnarah

I think my chain needs some TLC... possibly tightened or some kind of adjustment. I don't know anything about doing this myself and I don't have the tools. If anyone is comfortable messing with chains or would be willing to look at it and tell me what they think, I'd appreciate it.

When I'm riding and I let off the throttle and start to slow down or down shift I can hear it as though its rubbing on something like it's loose, or catching somewhere. I really am not sure. It hasn't done this in the past but I haven't done anything to it either so if this is something that needs routine adjustment, it hasn't had it.

Thanks for help whoever you are.

Don't be a pussy. Begin your journey towards being a full-fledged motorcycle owner! Download the owners manual for your bike, it will detail how to clean, lube and adjust your chain. It's easy, can be done with minimal tools and will not only bring you closer to your machine, but will save you money. In general you clean with kerosene and a toothbrush, lube with jp1 or similar motorcycle chain lube and use the adjusters on the swing arm by the axle to set the sag at around an inch. Nothin to it.

Don't be a pussy. Begin your journey towards being a full-fledged motorcycle owner! Download the owners manual for your bike, it will detail how to clean, lube and adjust your chain. It's easy, can be done with minimal tools and will not only bring you closer to your machine, but will save you money. In general you clean with kerosene and a toothbrush, lube with jp1 or similar motorcycle chain lube and use the adjusters on the swing arm by the axle to set the sag at around an inch. Nothin to it.

The so called pussy you say is a female. :nono:

Just because it's easy, doesn't mean she wants to or has the knowledge/tools to do it. An improperly adjusted chain can lead to catastrophic failure and injury/death so it's not something to take lightly. She's doing the right thing by asking for assistance.

• Upvote 1

Don't be a sissy and adjust your fucking valves and reset your TPS. :dunno:

For me its a matter of time managment. I work around 60 hrs a week on 2nd shift so I never see my sammich maker during the week and still have an unfinished engine build sitting on the bench, I'm more than capable of doing the job, just really can't make the time. I have however cleaned, lubed and adjusted my chain because it really only takes half an hour.

you guys scared her off already! thats got to be some sort of record

She's been around a bit longer than you!! She was On my first group ride in late '08 along with playerpro153 was still running around cinci!

P9010480.jpg

P9010476.jpg

P9010481.jpg

-VanDy

I miss riding with Chris (playerpro) crazy ass. He was fast and always fun to ride with. His GP style exhaust sounded amazing too. His g/f bought my 636 in 2008. I wonder if she still has it. Last I heard is that he was in Maryland and married to her.

I miss riding with Chris (playerpro) crazy ass. He was fast and always fun to ride with. His GP style exhaust sounded amazing too. His g/f bought my 636 in 2008. I wonder if she still has it. Last I heard is that he was in Maryland and married to her.

I was on my first real riding season then, so needless to say they were all waiting for me a good bit! But everyone was super cool about it!

-VanDy

• Upvote 1

Sorry had a lot to catch up on, this might be a big post.

Does your bike have a center stand?

It does have a center stand. In fact I'm pretty certain now that's what I hear the chain rubbing on when it happens. I've tried in the past to get the bike up on the center stand by myself and couldn't do it. Actually since it's been so long I'll try again next time I'm out there.

I also do have a manual. Got it off Ebay back when I got the bike. I'd love to be able to use it on my own and do my own work and maintenance but I've never been able to get into it by myself. I need someone with me who knows what they are doing, at least until I know I can do it right by myself. The book can't help me like a person can. It just gives me the info, measurements, specifications etc...

Where are you located in Cinti?

I live in Lebanon. That bike shop someone recommended, down by Cincy is a bit too far for me.

Ask Brandon to show you how to do it. Chances are you need a new one' date=' though. [/quote']

Hey Brandon, can you show me how to fix ma bike chain?

Just because it's easy, doesn't mean she wants to or has the knowledge/tools to do it. An improperly adjusted chain can lead to catastrophic failure and injury/death so it's not something to take lightly. She's doing the right thing by asking for assistance.

:plus1:

Notice how the OP seems to have dropped out of the thread...

I just don't get on here every day and actually didn't expect to get any offers of help in response. I am pleasantly surprised some people have given helpful advice.

Long time no ride!! Hit me up, I might be able to swing by this weekend and lend a hand if need be

-VanDy

This is my weekend off. (I work 12 hr shift). If your serious, message me and we'll go from there. Yes long time no see. That first ride back in 08 was still the best I've been on. Even if I was too embarrassed about helmet head to fully enjoy the breaks we took by taking off my helmet. (I remember those pics. I have a couple others, I want to post them but I'm having trouble getting the img tag thing to work)

On a final note... My desire is to sell this bike. I'm really bummed out because I think the battery might need replacing too and it's not that old. But for now, I at least hope to get something done about the chain.

If you're a visual learner this may help to give you the confidence to tackle it yourself. If you want to do basic maintenance on a bike this is your starting point. Lesson 2 is spraying NOS. Lesson 3 is using NOS for high speed wheelies wheelies with no helmet or gear. ;)

This is Youtube's mobile web address so you may have to cut and paste it if your using a computer and eliminate the (m.) And put (www) instead.

A visual learner I am, thanks! I am watching it now at about 4:40 he says something like "once you use your ...something.. adjustment"... I can't tell what he says, or even what the thing is your supposed to look at for that. I also have the impression he's saying that when this happens it's not only time to adjust but to change the chain outright?

"Once you've used up all your adjustment". He means when you have your adjusters moved all the way back you can't tighten the chain anymore the chain has become too long. If the chain is too long it's time to replace it. It's almost like getting too skinny and running out of belt holes. It is on the last hole and you can still reach down and pull it away from your waist, like he tugged the chain away from the sprocket. When you can't adjust it anymore it's time to buy a smaller belt, or chain in this instance.

Get in the garage and OWN that thing!:thumbup:

Ah ok makes sense. The other thing in the video I didn't understand was the alignment thing. I get what the laser function did. I did not see how he actually did the alignment all I saw him do was put the laser tool in place.

Ah ok makes sense. The other thing in the video I didn't understand was the alignment thing. I get what the laser function did. I did not see how he actually did the alignment all I saw him do was put the laser tool in place.

Eh, you don't need a laser. Just count your turns on the adjusting nut. Example, if you move one adjusting nut a 1/4 turn the other side gets a 1/4 turn. Do it in small increments and keep track of it. A pen and paper never hurts here.

Another thing you can do is measure the amount of thread showing on the adjusting bolt. Measure from the top of the nut to the end of the bolt and if they match you should be good to go. If one is 1/8 inch longer than the other you have some tweaking.

Also, when you snug the axle nut it tightens the chain. So leave it a bit loose and as you torque it down it will snug right where it needs to be. Measure the deflection after you torque axle nut and you're good to go.

ah ok. I think I get everything, except the last bit about the axle nut and deflection since I can't see what your referring to and I'm not familiar with what all the parts are called, I don't know what's what just from reading this.

The other thing I'm ignorant about is the purpose for certain amount of slack in the chain, like the guy in the vid said some people may want a little more, some a little less. How can you tell when your riding if it's snug or loose, does it change how your bike handles on the road?