Dodging the Fire Storms - West Ride 2012

Earache

Saddled up with my bud Neil and headed west earlier this month. My friend from Ireland had planned to go but tore his rotator cuff and was out at the last minute. ShittyGixer pussied out out as well, citing school and a general lack of any balls as his reason not to go. Ahh well, we all have our reasons to do and not do stuff.

Anyway, I left Indy at 0300 to beat the heat a bit and met up with Neil in St. Louis (he's from Chicago). made it as far as Lawrence, Kansas and the 115F heat was wearing on us. So we packed it in at about 2:00 PM and fell into a hotel there.

Nice enough place, but a bit weird...

IMG_9619.jpg

IMG_9620.jpg

IMG_9616-1.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

• Upvote 1

Very small town and the town center was 2 blocks away. On the way in, we smelled BBQ - so off we went in search of the source...

This was it, a small bar downtown....

IMG_9638.jpg

IMG_9636.jpg

IMG_9635.jpg

Dead animal heads on the wall, so it's gotta be good...

IMG_9626.jpg

I said the hotel was weird. We parked under the canopy at the main entrance, and then had to walk over this railroad track bridge to the building...

IMG_9642.jpg

IMG_9644.jpg

Odd layout for a hotel.

We humped across Kansas and eastern Colorado as fast as we could.

650 miles and 10 hours later, we're in Idaho Springs, Colorado for lunch.

Pizza at BeauJo's....

IMG_9649.jpg

IMG_9651-1.jpg

IMG_9652-1.jpg

I had like 2 pieces and Neil killed the rest. Amazing.

Beers were good but menu looked kinda iffy, so off we wander into the village...

IMG_9675.jpg

and into a slope-side outdoor cafe. Tempo was about 75F - which felt freakin' cold to us - with a light breeze. Great place to sit and get toasted on locally brews...

IMG_9676.jpg

IMG_9678.jpg

IMG_9679.jpg

IMG_9681.jpg

IMG_9682.jpg

IMG_9684.jpg

Our resort only had valet parking. I tossed the guys my keys to the bike and asked them to be gentle with it. They got a laugh outta that and then allowed us to park right behind their valet station so they could watch the bikes for us.

Rock star!

IMG_9731.jpg

IMG_9733.jpg

IMG_9734.jpg

Our resort only had valet parking. I tossed the guys my keys to the bike and asked them to be gentle with it. They got a laugh outta that and then allowed us to park right behind their valet station so they could watch the bikes for us.

same with "the standard" downtown LA, Valet only, I was the only exception...