diabetus

Gixxus Christ!

Sorry to hear that Csc,

If there is no strong family history of DM try loosing 30-40 pounds and you might just cure yourself, loosing weight when you are young by healthy diet and exercise is the only way to CURE Diab, if not it's life long treatment.

Be serious about this, if you choose to neglect DM can be more serious than cancer. Didn't meant to scare ya, but u need to realize how serious your outlook shud be. It slowly affects your whole body mainly nerves, vessels kidneys eyes heart etc

Doctors and medicine don't treat you ,you treat yourself. They just see you for 10 mins, the rest 24-7 you take care of yourself. So do take care. YOU MUST START ON A GOOD DIET & EXERCISE plan and get back in the game. Beat it while you are young and capable. All these based on the belief that your DM is not inherited. And if by unfortunate circumstances you are predisposed to DM still doing the same literally keeps it in check without any major issues.

Cannot over emphasize the need to alter diet and food intake.

That good diet part. Stop any high sugar intake. That would be soft drinks. Never again.

The one thing people neglect is fruits and vegetables. Increase them.

"Pick a rainbow of colors" when you select.

Potatoes are too starchy, a source of carbohydrate, limit that. Substitute rice or noodles or beans.

Forget red meat, eat chicken, turkey, FISH, vegetarian, etc. Red meat maybe once a week.

Find food recipes that help, rather than hurt.

Don't get into the hype of "special", just eat right.

Make it a family thing, it's good for everyone. Get them involved.

More exercise, any and all is good.

Here, I was doing this for a while. I didn't need to lose weight, I just wanted a balance in diet.

It's a little complicated to use, but it's a start. It can run on most phones as an app.

Sugar is carbohydrates (carbs), watch the carb intake.

You're going to be hungry for a while, live with it. But do not starve yourself.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Probably the best info sources:

CDC gov - diabetes

http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/

Johns Hopkins medical guides

Index

http://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/ub/index/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/All_Topics

Diabetes self management (must register)

http://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/ub/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547114/all/Patient_Education:_Curriculum_Topics_in_Diabetes

American Diabetes Association self management guide

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/self-management-tools/

edit: one more, American Dietetic Association

http://www.eatright.org/

Any google search for "diabetes self management" or "diabetes recipes"

Pick carefully, there are a lot of junk websites out there.

There's a lot of good books on management and recipes.

Check library first. (Yes, there are a lot of downloads on line.)

Edited by ReconRat

Sorry to hear that Csc,

If there is no strong family history of DM try loosing 30-40 pounds and you might just cure yourself, loosing weight when you are young by healthy diet and exercise is the only way to CURE Diab, if not it's life long treatment.

Be serious about this, if you choose to neglect DM can be more serious than cancer. Didn't meant to scare ya, but u need to realize how serious your outlook shud be. It slowly affects your whole body mainly nerves, vessels kidneys eyes heart etc

Doctors and medicine don't treat you ,you treat yourself. They just see you for 10 mins, the rest 24-7 you take care of yourself. So do take care. YOU MUST START ON A GOOD DIET & EXERCISE plan and get back in the game. Beat it while you are young and capable. All these based on the belief that your DM is not inherited. And if by unfortunate circumstances you are predisposed to DM still doing the same literally keeps it in check without any major issues.

Type 2, but not going to do shit for type 1 man.

Technical side:

Lower your A1C glucose readings to 7 or lower.

Lower your blood pressure below 130/80

Lower your LDL cholesterol below 100, and keep HDL cholesterol above 40.

"Adopt a diet and lifestyle that are enjoyable and doable for you and can prevent or at least slow complications from diabetes."

Edited by ReconRat

:wtf: Do you mean Hgb A1C? or was that supposed to be a 70?

Checking... yes, the old A1C. I edited. Don't know much about the eAG, but I guess the equivalent would be eAG 154?

I should have linked to that one, I can't even find those stats now.

Ok, found it. It's the "ABC" plan where the A is A1C.

CDC National Diabetes Education Program (NDEP)

http://ndep.nih.gov/publications/PublicationDetail.aspx?PubId=131#abcs

Your Diabetes ABCs.

• A stands for A1C test. This test measures your average blood glucose levels for the past three months. Your doctor should test your A1C at least twice a year. For most people with diabetes, the goal is to have an A1C “score” of less than 7.
  • B stands for blood pressure, a measurement of how hard your heart needs to work to keep your blood circulating. For most people with diabetes, the goal is to keep blood pressure below 130/80.
  • C stands for cholesterol, a fat found in your blood. There are two kinds of cholesterol: LDL, or “bad”
    cholesterol, and HDL, or “good” cholesterol. For most people with diabetes, the goal is to keep:
    • LDL cholesterol below 100.
    • HDL cholesterol above 40 (HDL for men > 40 and for women > 50).

Ask your doctor what you can do to reach your targets for A1C, blood pressure, and cholesterol.

http://ndep.nih.gov/publications/PublicationDetail.aspx?PubId=131#abcs

Edited by ReconRat

diet and exersice are crutial. if you can mantain are lose weight thats better.. are you starting off with the pill? or were you told to cut back or you would start medications...?

ive seen people that were full blown.. insulin shots and all get off everything because of determination... i've also seen.. a 16 year old that refused to help herself and she now is in a wheelchair because she lost both legs and most her fingers because she didnt wanna take meds or shots or change her lifestyle... just things to think about

Most new patients with diabetes are started on Metformin. A very recent study has found that increasing walking by 30 minutes a day is TWICE as effective at lowering your blood sugar level as is Metformin! Exercise & watch the sugar & carb intake.

Most new patients with diabetes are started on Metformin. A very recent study has found that increasing walking by 30 minutes a day is TWICE as effective at lowering your blood sugar level as is Metformin! Exercise & watch the sugar & carb intake.

Well, glad I walk over 8 miles a day...

when I got my dog last year we started walking at the local park. it has a walking trail about 1.5 miles. she will not stop begging me to take her there. well anyway, after a few months of it I actually feel like crap if I stop doing it for a few days here and there.

walk your dog. it might just save your life.

Wow, lots of info, thanks.

It's type two I'm assuming, I've never had a problem with my sugar before. Started losing weight with no explanation and was constantly thirsty, went to Dr and my blood sugar was 302! He's having me monitor it for a few weeks and log it while he gets my a1c and other bloodwork back. In the meantime I have cut down to around 150 grams of carbs/day and lowered my beer intake drastically. That alone has lowered my blood glucose by 50-100 points depending on time of day etc. Last night it was down to 146. Going to start exercising hopefully lose maybe 20 lbs over the next few months. I can beat this thing, I've. Got a good woman in my corner to help me.

All these based on the belief that your DM is not inherited. And if by unfortunate circumstances you are predisposed to DM still doing the same literally keeps it in check without any major issues.
Type 2, but not going to do shit for type 1 man.

I believe i mentioned that. you are almost right, but diet and exercise is crucial for literally every disease that haunt us now.

In general, one regular can of soft drink can be the daily amount of sugar. I'm sure that depends on height and weight of course. So a few cans a day would easily double the sugar.

Which is why I said no more soft drinks. Stick to quality orange juice, apple juice, grape juice, etc. That has a lot of sugar added sometimes, so have to watch that also.

edit: see list below, orange juice is high in sugars/carbs.

Edited by ReconRat

rough guide per 8oz:

apple juice, unsweetened - 29g

carrot juice - 24g

cranberry juice - 36g

grape juice - 19g

grapefruit juice - 11g

lemon juice - 20g

lime juice - 23.5g

orange juice - 26g

passion fruit juice - 32g

pineapple juice - 34g

pomegranate juice - 32g

prune juice - 40g

tangerine juice - 24g

tomato juice - 5g

V-8 juice - 10g

watermelon juice - 16g

maybe check these out:

They function on artificial sweeteners.

Tropicana Trop50

Minute Maid Light

Ocean Spray Light Juice Drinks

Welch's Diet and Light Juices

Snapple Diet Cranberry Raspberry Juice Drink

Edited by ReconRat

Sorry to hear that Csc,

^^^This^^^ The thing with Diabetes is that the medicines the doc can give you can only do so much, it's really how you manage your diet and exercise habits that have the biggest impact on your outcome. With Type 2 diabetes, if you keep your blood sugar in normal ranges your life will be the same as someone without diabetes. As ninja said, be serious about this, diabetes can be a serious condition and cause an enormous range of problems IF you don't take it seriously and manage your diet and exercise and stick to your workouts as this will improve your sensitivity to insulin around the clock. Do some reading from reputable websites (as i'm sure you are!) and talking with your doc openly and honestly about how you're doing and areas that are tough for you to manage.

Like Ninja said, if you manage diet and exercise well, you may not even need any medication whatsoever. First line of therapy is diet and exercise changes, then he may choose to add any number of medications like metformin. Insulin is likely way down the road. Just make sure you set realistic goals for your workouts and diet, it's better to make lasting improvement gradually than to think you have to run a 5k daily and get disheartened.

Good luck man, sounds like you're already geared up mentally kick that sugar's ass! My uncle was diagnosed with T2DM a few months ago and I wish he had your attitude.