considering swapping bikes

smashweights

Went out to Competition Accessories and checked out a few bikes and I really liked the Monster 1100 Evo. Beautiful, good seating position, and at 373 lbs dry is lighter than my R6, which gives me high hopes for the handling. Really leaning this way right now.

Went out to Competition Accessories and checked out a few bikes and I really liked the Monster 1100 Evo. Beautiful, good seating position, and at 373 lbs dry is lighter than my R6, which gives me high hopes for the handling. Really leaning this way right now.

Now your talking!!! :bow:

Now your talking!!! :bow:

Haha, I figured some people would appreciate the change of heart. Even the wife is on board with it. Now I just gotta find a price I can live with.

Oh, what's the reliability reputation with Ducs? I'm not terribly familiar with the brand.

Ducati's bad rep on reliability mostly comes from the older pre-2008 superbikes. The service interval and cost issue was addressed with the launch of the 1098 series. Parts can be expensive and it can take additional time to get parts out of Italy. Service costs may be a bit higher than a Japanese bike but Ducati is a premium brand (positioned as such) and you can expect to pay more for the privilege . :-)

The 2v air-cooled motor in the Monster is as old as Ducati and is very reliable. No issues there. Service costs are pretty reasonable and the intervals are around every 7,500 miles after break-in. The bikes are supposedly pretty easy to work on, if you are into that kind of thing.

Other knock on Ducati has been a plastic tank expanding issue that is presumed to be related to ethanol in gas. Some models and years have it worse than others. I don't remember too many or any Monster customers complaining.

Check out www.ducati.ms and ask up in the Monster forum. Great street bike that can do track days really well. 100% usable power with plenty of torque. Also, yes, get the 1100. The bike makes around 90hp and 65ft lbs or torque. Don't forget the Termis! You will enjoy the extra displacement if you do any 2up.

Edited by Revelstoker

I do like to do the work on my bike. I've done quite a bit on the R6, but i had the confidence to mess with it cause it wasn't that expensive. i'd be a bit more apprehensive on the Monster. I've put about 10k on the R6 and done all the "service" myself.