My cutter plotter is up and running

vw151

All,

I recently purchased a cutter plotter. You might be asking, what is a cutter plotter Joe? Well, it's a lot like a printer but it uses a blade to cut vinyl. Basically, those cool die cut stickers and decals you see on bikes, the ducati logos or desmohio stickers, ohio riders stickers, door signs showing hours of operation, real estate signs, car window stickers.

I'm still learning, but, if anyone needs work of this kind done please contact me at joseph.hansen@electriceyeimages.com. Since I'm new at this I'd be happy to beat anyone's prices.

Anyway, here are some of the first pieces I've made.

531369_10151004131489362_1153599806_n.jpg

553141_10151004138664362_1786874135_n.jpg

282719_10151004413689362_262252021_n.jpg

311597_10151004430584362_292675693_n.jpg

287864_10151006930759362_1264694550_o.jpg

577262_10151006932744362_272552637_n.jpg

376913_10151006960814362_1718434523_n.jpg

181159_10151006961589362_789193449_n.jpg

177746_10151006986979362_1224761495_o.jpg

Edited by vw151

Cool! There are quite a few of us on here with cutters. Let me know if you need software. Good luck with your ventures.

I've got AI, and flexisign 8, but I'd love to get more software (particularly flexi10 and AI fonts) but moreso I'd love to learn the tricks. I need to set up a better workspace for weeding and get some big rolls of other colors. I'm just playing right now.

Further, I'm not hear to step on anyone's toes, I plan on doing small jobs with this, I realized it'd easily pay for itself and after that it's just an awesome toy and marketing tool for my photography.

• Upvote 1

Cool. I worked in the sign industry for 12 years and this was one of my tasks(I used to be the OR decal guy).

Just a heads up though. If you are planning are planning on selling logos like the Kawi and Duc, etc, just be aware that you are breaking numerous copyright and licensing laws. If you are doing stuff for yourself I don't think it is a big deal, but you need authorized permission to reproduce and sell stickers of logos. I see you are in Columbus, OSU is notorious for tracking down people for unauthorized reproductions. These companies are not going to spend millions on branding so anyone can use it, they also spend millions on lawyers to protect it.

So I guess be cautious about selling to people you may not know or anyone at all.

Cool. I worked in the sign industry for 12 years and this was one of my tasks(I used to be the OR decal guy).

Just a heads up though. If you are planning are planning on selling logos like the Kawi and Duc, etc, just be aware that you are breaking numerous copyright and licensing laws. If you are doing stuff for yourself I don't think it is a big deal, but you need authorized permission to reproduce and sell stickers of logos. I see you are in Columbus, OSU is notorious for tracking down people for unauthorized reproductions. These companies are not going to spend millions on branding so anyone can use it, they also spend millions on lawyers to protect it.

So I guess be cautious about selling to people you may not know or anyone at all.

I'm planning on making money doing door signs and things of that nature. manufacture logos would be for friends, I don't see much money in that anyway.

Never saw one of those before...what does such a device cost?

New this one would be around $2200. I got it used for a lot less.

It's a 24" graphtec plotter if you want to shop around.

• 1 month later...

Technically speaking, every vinyl company that advertises services are using TONS of illegal decal work. Even those that are sponsors on here are using and advertising these illegal as you call them, decals.

Point is this. You can do copy protected logos under several ways. For example, doing one for my bike or my truck and trailer for a sponsor such as Skull Candy will allow you to do what I ask for. Reason being is that if I am sponsored, I am capable of using their logo under their guidelines as to size, etc and use on my machine and personal vehicles. That then has that logo stored in your library.

You can be strict and only provide for such people and decline others, but the idea here is that you are going to lose money.

IF anything happens at all, you will get a Cease and Desist letter from said company to stop doing what you are. Again, nothing terrible and easily something you can cease doing without issue.

Also, as far as promoting a company, think people want to see stick figure families and generic artwork used in the program you bought to do decals? Negative. They want Mopar, Chevy, Calvin and Hobbs, Dale Jr., etc. Not to mention Monster, RedBull, Fox, etc.

What I am getting at is that to make this work, you need to show certain pieces of work to advertise what you are willing to do as well as what you CAN do. Now, advertising decals such as Monster and putting a price tag on said decal on your website? Not a good idea.

I recently got a new plotter with flexi 8 but am struggling to get it goin would love some help.

send me a PM, you are welcome to come over and check out my set up if you want. I'm by no means an expert but I bought mine off a friend that is running a sign shop that primarily does real estate signs so he showed me the basics. I'm also running flexi/AI/Corel Draw. Still learning though.

I nominate you for the "new" OR sticker go-to guy. You up to it?

I appreciate that and would be up for it, however, unless abdecal is stepping down I'll politely decline. I'm not looking to step on any toes. I'm just happy with my output and would like to make a little side money doing custom stuff.

As for copyright decals. I'm not saying I won't make them (obviously). I think any shop around would make them if you show up with a file. I'm just not looking to made "real" money making them. I don't really think there is much money is 1 or 2 kawasaki logos or GSXR logos for a guy on a forum that just put paint on his track bike. I can definitely see where you might get a call if you made a website full of brands and made a lot of money at reproducing those brands but again I think it probably has to do with the size of your operation. Or maybe I'm just willing to take that risk as I don't see much harm in a small operation.

Not a problem, man... Now where are my pics.

:p

Here ya go man.

Download from here. Not my best stuff, could have been a bit crisper but it's what I've got from that day

if you want higher res than that send me an email at joseph.hansen@gmail.com and I'll send the full res files.

http://s741.photobucket.com/albums/xx52/josephhansen/KTM-Brian/

vintage2012_258.jpg

vintage2012_226.jpg

vintage2012_225.jpg

vintage2012_224.jpg

vintage2012_223.jpg

vintage2012_221.jpg

vintage2012_193.jpg

vintage2012_192.jpg

vintage2012_191.jpg

vintage2012_189.jpg

vintage2012_185.jpg