anyone here make bbq?

oldschoolsdime92

I saw a really good post on making bacon. Step by step directions including pics. There was also a post about making some venison sausage sticks and the pics looked awesome, they looked like they were from a commercial food company but still artisan. Being that this is the gun forum that sometimes talks about motorcycles, I thought maybe some of you gun guys hunt and would like a new recipe for your venison ;)

I decided I wanted to smoke a ham. I know most hams come precooked, so I decided to google to see if it was common practice to stick one in the smoker. To my delight, it can be done! So I picked up a nice small 2 lb cumberland gap ham( just my fiance and myself). I decided I wanted to put a rub on it and attempt to get a bark on my ham. So I used the following things.

Pure Maple syrup

Cayenne pepper

Honey Dijon mustard

brown sugar

garlic powder

smoke house maple seasoning.

I scored the ham very lightly and rubbed it down with maple syrup, and then mixed the mustard,cayenne, brown sugar,garlic powder, and smokehouse maple into a paste, and rubbed it into the ham.

my game plan with this is to mix up some water and apple cider vinegar and use apple wood, at about 225 degrees. Any suggestions?

IMAG1439.jpg

smoking is addictive! What can I say! Nothing better than firing up the smoker and doing yard work. :D

I don't care what people say it really is an art form. I absolutely love it! I've finally convinced myself to bite the bullet and order the propane smoker once I move and practice with it as well so I can do some cuts that require longer burns. I love my charcoal WSM but its such a pain in the ass process and I am teh suck at keeping the temp stable so I'm afraid to leave it alone very long

Here's a recipe for a fresh ham. It won't be the same as a cured ham that you by in the store but they are still yummy. You have to brine it otherwise it will come out like a smoked pork roast. http://www.grouprecipes.com/108736/glazed-smoke-roasted-fresh-ham.html

that sounds delicious! I think I am going to have to go visit the butcher man! :D

I don't care what people say it really is an art form. I absolutely love it! I've finally convinced myself to bite the bullet and order the propane smoker once I move and practice with it as well so I can do some cuts that require longer burns. I love my charcoal WSM but its such a pain in the ass process and I am teh suck at keeping the temp stable so I'm afraid to leave it alone very long

I love my masterbuilt propane. As long as its not real windy, I can set it at 225 and literally set it and forget it. While I use a remote thermometer to measure the meat temp, I also use a digital thermometer to monitor the temp of the smoker. When I smoked my ribs, I literally had to change the temp one time, in 4.5 hours.

That is why you get a mini-keg, and sit outside all day with it! :D

I love my masterbuilt propane. As long as its not real windy, I can set it at 225 and literally set it and forget it. While I use a remote thermometer to measure the meat temp, I also use a digital thermometer to monitor the temp of the smoker. When I smoked my ribs, I literally had to change the temp one time, in 4.5 hours.

what thermometers did you end up going with? I want to get a remote one when I order the Masterbuilt because I've just been using an old school one which has worked but wouldn't mind going a bit more high tech. I figure with the propane smoker I will probably end up using it far more often

Also since you have the Masterbuilt I think i recall it being the 2 door version? How much meat can you actually put in it?

Brian, heres the thermometer I use. I liked this one better than most because the wire wasn't similar to that of a pair of headphones but actually steel braided covering. It was also very inexpensive and seems to work great. I can even take it inside with me, and not even have to go back out to manually check the temp.

IMAG1452.jpg

IMAG1456.jpg

IMAG1453.jpg

IMAG1458.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So, I went bought some wood chips ans a small smoker box to use in the grill. I'll see how it does, but just a little test run earlier it didn't produce much visible smoke, but I could smell it. I wanted to see what it would do on just the empty grill before actually cooking with it in place.