battery leak? ...and good battery recommendations

mrmako777

so yesterday my buddy and i were out riding the backwoods when my bike started acting funny. literally, it would turn itself off and on again at will. long story short, i check my battery as i assume there is a bad connection.

i have a power commander connected to the negative terminal, there is a bit of corrosion and the bolt was a bit loose and is scalding hot to the touch. so, i cleaned it off, tightened it down and off i went. no issues from that time until the time i got home. check the negative terminal again when i got home and its cool to the touch. my multimeter says the battery is 12v normal and 14 under load so i know the battery/stator is good. the positive terminal has no corrosion, the negative has corrosion along with what looks like some battery acid that has leaked out...

so, heres where the questions start :D

since my power commander was connected to the negative terminal, is there a chance that repeated shorts could have damaged my pc3 or somehow corrupted the map?

is there a possibility that corrosion on the negative terminal and none on the positive is a sign of something else being wrong?

at this point, i think the battery is the culprit so im going to replace it. im more or less concerned about other possible damage the repeated shorts might have caused. is there anything else i should check or look for? any recommendations on a good battery brand? thanks :cheers:

heat is the main problem...loose connection is high amp draw...thats where your heat at the battery lug came from.....with that it has "unsealed" that lug and vapor from the batter makes that blue/white ash around it....battery isnt completely bad but will require more cleaning...put some battery spray or grease on it...

the pc3 is a "pass through" type processor which means if it had anything wrong with the data transfer it would not run at all....in a case where you think the power commander has quit and bike wont start or run just take it out of the loop...very seriously doubt it has corrupted the map....it would run really bad

sg

• Upvote 1