Backyard Shift lever anyone????

Tank Baby

Well peeps, here is a great way to make shift a Shift lever in a pinch...

By pinch I mean.. Oh being 60 miles from home and dropping your bike in a parking lot (thank you very little Speedway in Richmond for NOT filling in that pot hole my foot found)

Yes I dropped it, and the dang Shift lever snapped right off and my clutch handle busted too... GRRrrrRRRrrr

Take a U bolt and two square flat washers... some lock tite, a few cheep wrenches, a piece of buble gum, a tooth pick, a beer can, and a skittle (last 4 items were just tossed in for the McGyver effect didnt really use them)

Here is what you get... ran 200 miles on my back yard shift lever...lololol

Thanks, I walked right out of it actually, didnt even go down. I was more pissed than anything and my ego slightly bruised. but it is what it is... lol put her back up and put on another 140 miles after the fact... must have left that ego on the ground in Richmond ;)

Thank you to my FANTASTIC boyfriend and his OH so clever brain to coming up with my bakyard shifter... Im pretty sure it was easier for him to figure how to make the bike shift as appose to finding out how we were going to get a bike trailer, a car with a hitch, ON A SUNDAY, IN ANOTHER STATE.... oh what a day.

I'm rocking something like this on my SV! I'll post a picture tomorrow but last season I laid the bike down leaving a camp ground around Deals Gap. I had it towed to a local shop and dude got the bike running again but didn't have a replacement for the lever on hand so he hooked me up with something like this. I haven't had the heart to replace it even though I have a replacement on hand.

Nice work. That cheap pot metal is light but breaks easy. With it home you might consider drilling the end and mounting a spring loaded toe piece like dirt bikes have.

if I had a picture of it I could one up you easy.

my whole shift lever fell off my bike (bolt came out)

I found a piece of bailing twine on the side of the road and started threading that bitch back on. made it all the way home (1 hr ride) shifting it all the way like normal.