thinking of riding to Colorado

Hoblick

so what are some good route options to get out there.

id rather not take highway, but i dont want to be doing 35mph either.

want something scenic, but also a good pace.

i have 9 days to get there, tool around, and then get back

I know this helps you non but im seriously thinging next year taking 2 weeks off and trailering our bikes north of denver where my aunt and cuz lives. Parking the truck an trailer and hitting the roads on the scoots for a week. So if you do this and find some sweet routes id love to hear about them.

When we rode out west last year we went up through SD then Wyoming, down through Utah then back home via US 50. We caught 50 at Grand Junction and laid over in Gunnison. Rode over Monarch pass at 11300 ft and stopped at the Royal Gorge. When you cross I-25 coming south from Denver, its just a short ride north to get to Pikes Peak.

50 through Colorado was cool, but riding through Kansas was just not the same....lol. At Kansas City we caught I-70 and rode that all the way back, but I have been told that 50 through Mo. is excellent too. We were just on a time restraint by then.....lol....so based on what we did I'd say expect to have to lay up at least 2 nights between here and Colorado, maybe 3 nights. That's based on approx 500 miles per day.

Have fun and be safe!

• Upvote 1

Last time I was out that way I took the highway out and back so I don't have much advice on getting there but while you are out there this might be a cool route.

2 years ago I camped at the best KOA ever in Cortez, CO. The next day we rode east on US 160 to Durango, then north on US 550 to Montrose. The entire ride from Durango to Montrose is beautiful but there there is a section between Silverton and Ouray called the Million Dollar Highway that is the best part: http://www.roadtripusa.com/routes/loneliestroad/colorado/lon_us550.html.

From Montrose we rode west on US 50 to 70 East into Denver. According to Ohiomike, it sounds like I should have headed east on US 50, instead of west, for a better ride.

You could go the "northern" route of 36W, but to be honest...there is soooooo little to see between here and there, just take 70.

Figure three to four days travel to get there and back(1500 miles each way), so that leaves six or five days to play around.

For actual places to see and stay, I'd recommend asking around on ADVRider in the local Colorado area section.

Sure wish I could go with you!!

Last time I was out that way I took the highway out and back so I don't have much advice on getting there but while you are out there this might be a cool route.

2 years ago I camped at the best KOA ever in Cortez, CO. The next day we rode east on US 160 to Durango, then north on US 550 to Montrose. The entire ride from Durango to Montrose is beautiful but there there is a section between Silverton and Ouray called the Million Dollar Highway that is the best part: http://www.roadtripusa.com/routes/loneliestroad/colorado/lon_us550.html.

From Montrose we rode west on US 50 to 70 East into Denver. According to Ohiomike, it sounds like I should have headed east on US 50, instead of west, for a better ride.

For sure the ride through Colorado on 50 was outstanding and quite memorable. From Monarch Pass over to Royal Gorge we followed a BMW biker riding 2 up and man was it fun swooping down through those sweepers coming down the mountains. Riding up out of Gunnison heading to Monarch it was a 'white knuckler' as the grade of ascent was pretty steep with no guard rails, or at least it was for me....lol. But I'm sure there were lots of great riding roads in that state.

last year we took I-70 past Indy then I-74 to Urbana Ill., from there I-72 to Hannibal MO. This got us thru the congested areas of Indy and Ill. We picked up Rt 36 in Hannibal after touring the caves where Jesse James hid out and Mark Twain based his Huck Finn stories. Rt 36 was a great alternative to I-70; we were able to run 70 -80 mph a lot and then we also rode thru some small old towns, very good road. Near Lebanon Kansas we stopped at the Geographical Center of the US. just a neat little stop. In Oberlin Kansas we stayed a night in the Oberlin Bank B&B, this is an old west cattle drive town and the inn was great. From there we went up 83 into Nebraska and took Rt 34 for the rest of the way into Colorado. 34 will take you right on into the Rocky Mtn. Nat Park and over the Continental Divide to US 40. or you can play around in the park for days.

This year we are going down thru KY to the southwestern tip then 60 thru the Ozarks up to Fort Scott Kansas and 54 and 50 thru Kansas, this will take us in CO on the south end.

When are you going?

Just iron butt it out to Denver,get the IBA plate,and spend more time riding in Colorado.:D

There's nothing between Columbus and Denver that is going to be as good as once you get into the mountains of Colorado.Plus,that IBA plate would look real good on that Multistrada.:)

Just iron butt it out to Denver... There's nothing between Columbus and Denver that is going to be as good as once you get into the mountains of Colorado.

+1

Be sure you ride to the top of Mt Evans (south and west of Denver.) It's reportedly the highest paved road in N. America. Definitely a high-pucker ride. :eek:

70 through the mountains in Colorado west of Denver is not a typical highway. It is actually a great ride. There is so much to see around you, it is actually nice to not have to always have complete concentration on a twisty road. As far as getting there, Nebraska and Iowa are a better ride than Kansas, but if you really want to swing south I suggest taking 40 to Albuquerque and then heading north on 25.

I have never taken that direct route, but 25 is one of the best highway rides I've ever been on south of Albuquerque along the Rio Grande. I would imagine north would be a decent ride as well. You would also get to see some Route 66 stuff that way.

You could even ride to Flagstaff and head north from there and then take 70 east through the Rockies. I rode 70 and 15 from Vegas and enjoyed it quite a bit.

When we went west I took I70 to Indy then split off on 74N to 61 and then 30 thru Grand Mound. At Denison we took 141 to I-29. You could easily head South to 80 and head right into Denver. unfortunately there is no truly exciting rout west that I have ever head of.

You could go the "northern" route of 36W, but to be honest...there is soooooo little to see between here and there, just take 70.

Figure three to four days travel to get there and back(1500 miles each way), so that leaves six or five days to play around.

For actual places to see and stay, I'd recommend asking around on ADVRider in the local Colorado area section.

Sure wish I could go with you!!

you coud do it in 1day easy on a fast bike

I did it in one in truck & not really a dam thing to look at till you get there

I will be taking 70 out there in July. Since we only have so many days to take off we are going to take 2 days to get there, ride for 2 days and attempt to ride back in 1 for the 1500 in 36 hours IBA. More than likely we will end up stopping for the night but it is worth a try. Our trip is the second weekend in July.

im thinking we may just trailer out now.

it will give us more time to ride colorado, instead of wasting the extra time to get there.

and everyone keeps telling me there is nothing to see on the way there anyway lol

I've done the drive at least a dozen times in my life, and no, there isn't much of interest between here and the foothills. I usually take 80 and it isn't much better. The only thing worth seeing is downtown Chicago.

Once you get into the mountains, you'll never want to leave.