Colorado woman shot after drunken home invasion

idodishez

Locking your doors will typically keep drunks out.....just sayin.

That's part of why I'd be more inclined to shoot because anyone whom bypasses the locked door has put in too much effort for a friendly visit.

It makes a nice target for your opponent to aim at if you don't use it right.

Momentary and then move. Just like tracers work both ways.

Edit: and FBI style can help them not pin point your exact location too.

Edited by chevysoldier

I'm not saying I wouldn't have shot her, eventually. But shooting at a target in the dark is just a bad idea. I'll take that extra second to ID a target before I shoot. I mean what if I shot a neighbor's kid who was looking for help? Or if I miss since I'm just shooting into the dark, and the bullet punches through the wall and kills a neighbor, or family member? (All very unlikely "what if" scenarios, but still) I just don't like taking a shot with that many unknowns.

Of course if I hear someone breaking into my house and rapidly moving through the place I might give a warning call but their getting shot when they clear the threshold of the door.

And, yes, I can and have woken up with the immediate response of grabbing a weapon and light. But that's from training and life experiences. I'm not sure if I really sleep deeply anymore.

The article said they did yell at her but she did not respond, so that kind of null and void the what if it was a neighbors kid looking for help scenario. I get the whole bullet going through the wall pretty valid point, but I'd still shoot and think about that later.

Momentary and then move. Just like tracers work both ways.

Edit: and FBI style can help them not pin point your exact location too.

That's what I was getting at.

I would have held her at a cautionary distance with a weapon trained on the intruder. If they were unresponsive to talking or me saying "get the eff out of my place" and just standing there staring off, I would call the police while still having my match-built 1911 pointing at aforementioned intruder. If they just hang out and stand there, then whatever. However, if they demonstrate hostility, they are getting dropped by my 230gr jhp friend(s)

I'm not saying I wouldn't have shot her, eventually. But shooting at a target in the dark is just a bad idea. I'll take that extra second to ID a target before I shoot. I mean what if I shot a neighbor's kid who was looking for help? Or if I miss since I'm just shooting into the dark, and the bullet punches through the wall and kills a neighbor, or family member? (All very unlikely "what if" scenarios, but still) I just don't like taking a shot with that many unknowns.

Of course if I hear someone breaking into my house and rapidly moving through the place I might give a warning call but their getting shot when they clear the threshold of the door.

And, yes, I can and have woken up with the immediate response of grabbing a weapon and light. But that's from training and life experiences. I'm not sure if I really sleep deeply anymore.

Keep.in mind they are two.elderly folks. If both of them.are in bed whoever is out there disentangle belong. Kinda like at my house, if I hear a noise that wakes me up I reach for.the other side of the bed. If she isnt there most likely it's her getting a drink, but if she is there shit is about to get really bad really fast for someone.