Upgrade from SV650

Tony blaze

I went to Pony Motorsports demo day today. Great event, they let you ride every Suzuki that the reps brought. I rode the GSX600 and 750 along with the Hyabusa and the Vstrom. Vstrom not me at all, I don't see what that bike does well. The Busa is a disaster waiting to happen in my novice hands. There is a lot of power but it is delivered smoothly and evenly. It's just real twitchy coming out of first and doesn't seemed balanced well even though it sits so low. The Gixxers ........wow. those bikes ride them themselves. They feel like they make you a better rider by just sitting on them. They will turn smoothly with just the slightest input and never seem to get unsettled. The seating position isn't perfect for me but the ride is so nice I'm thinking of jumping on it. I was wondering are there any other bikes similar in feel to them. A couple of people have told me that I have to try the Speed Triple before I buy anything. I like the naked bike look. I'm on a SV650S now and am looking to sell it and upgrade. I think the inline 4 sweetness is talking to me.

....and an SV650 is better than a GSX-R and a Strom' date=' at the same time.[/quote']

This x infinitum, dude :D

(even though they're kinda ghey and lack superbike bad assness)

One of my best friends has a ZX9R, calls her "Ruby" cause of the cranberry metallic paint. That bike just screams. I have a thing about riding other people's bikes (dealers don't count, I'll tear their bikes all to hell lol) so I haven't ridden one.

According to your intro you just started riding last fall, correct?

I'd suggest getting lots more seat time and skills before getting a faster (straight line) bike.

There's an old adage: "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slowly"... - not that your bike is slow.

I'd guess you might be riding at 30, 40% of what your bike's capable of.

Do a track day (or 5), push yourself and your bike in a controlled, safe environment. I am positive you'll be surprised at what your bike (and you, eventually) can do.

Just my $0.022 worth, but in the end it's your decision to make, not mine.

Definitely wise advice and that's the way I want to lean but my left brain keeps comlaining about sinking money into a bike just to get rid of it in the future. I'm in a kind of weird situation because of my messed up life and a lack of planning in the past. I'm against the wall to get my kids into a better school system by fall - they can't go back to the one their in now under no circumstances so we will be moving. Whatever decision I make right now I'm stuck with it for the next 5 years at least. Trying to do whatever before th wife snatches the purse strings. She wears the pants around these parts - I'm just contract help.

keep the SV then

I was under similar thinking and had a CBR and 636 before I got my VFR. The 2 sport bikes albeit much faster and more powerful than the VFR were worthless because I was such a noob. I much prefer keeping the VFR as its a better all around bike and once I acquired the little bit of skill I currently have, I fell in love with it for everything it can do. The SV is a pretty similar situation as the VFR in my opinion