exhaust wrap. what are the pros / cons?

cOoTeR

The exhaust wrap helps increase scavenging... and decreases the heat loss that reduces the exhaust gas temperature. The hotter the gas, the greater the average kinetic energy of the gas molecules. So in a perfect world it will result in a very small power increase.

Biggest thing is as Nick said, to stop from burning things. My pipes were burning through the lower. Even with heat tape, it wasnt enough. So wraped all the Y pipes under the bike and half way up to the can. No burning now, and no lower repair needed.

Bought some het wrap from jegs about $16 14ft. Not enough need more but it does help with the heat. One I have is rated for 2000 degrees. I need to add nother layer and some heat tape.

It looks pretty sweet as long as you keep up with the silicone spray. But DANG is it a messy job. As far as looks it really just depends on your bike and what you like. I am planning on wrapping mine toward the end of the season. We picked up some for my boyfriends Triumph from Joe's in Dayton it ran about 120 for enough to wrap both pipes. Looks pretty sweet in my opinion.

I'm thinking of putting it on my BTS rc51 (the one in the avatar). The 2 reasons are the exhaust looks like crap and I get a lot of heat coming from the engine area while riding. I wasn't sure if it would help with the heat I feel or not. I'm doubtful it'll make a noticeable difference.

I'm thinking of putting it on my BTS rc51 (the one in the avatar). The 2 reasons are the exhaust looks like crap and I get a lot of heat coming from the engine area while riding. I wasn't sure if it would help with the heat I feel or not. I'm doubtful it'll make a noticeable difference.

send them to these guys.

http://www.jet-hot.com/

Edited by serpentracer

Jet hot is absolute junk compared to Swaintech...fyi.

looks like their stuff for exhausts are for heat. he said his exhausts are ugly. jet hot has nice looking coatings for the exhausts.

there are countless places he could have them coated. I just have always seen jet-hot stuff the most.

and I doubt they're junk compared to swaintech. considering how big they are and how much industrial stuff they do and they have a lifetime warranty.

Edited by serpentracer

You forgot to mention the stuff tends to smell foul when it gets wet and the pipes start to dry it out.
Pro, wont burn your leg.

Cons,

1 ugly

2 ruins your pipe

3 ugly

4 flakes off with age and becomes uglier

5 pain in ass to do

6 lbts

7 not very cheap for good wrap

8 did I mention lbts

These right here. You're going to love it when you first put it on because it's going to look baller, but once the discoloration from the heat cycles sets in and you accidentally get caught in a rainstorm or two getting road crap all up in there and not able to easily clean it out, it's going to look like shit. I don't know anything about the Swaintech's, but I'm going off what I've seen on other's bikes.