Stoner to retire end of season

c7fx

I'm not surprised, given some of his recent comments.

Also, he's been able to get through his career successfully and relatively free of serious injury (unlike his hero Doohan), so he's probably considering how much longer he can continue to race before he has the 'Big Crash'.

He'll be back.

I would think the series would need to make some serious changes for him to return. Probably get rid of the CRT's and some of the electronics, which I don't really see happening in the near future.

I was a bit surprised to hear, even reading rumors about it as late as a week ago it seems. I think a lot of it has to deal with the new rules and especially the CRT bikes on top of him starting a family and having time for that family. I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not he has a "big crash" or not, or if he's thinking it will happen. As a racer I would surely say he's not. There's no place for those thoughts in a racers head for that. Though, arguably, there is in his wife's head. I would say his reasoning would be split 50-50 between new rules such as the CRT bikes and new rev limiters, and having time for his new family.

he also has little to no competition. he is just that good that he "beat" the premier class of motorcycle racing.

Last season, yes. That man was unbeatable for the most part.

This season is going to be very interesting. Lorenzo and Pedrosa are all running really fast up front. Hell Crutchlow is really impressive thus far too.

CRT bikes might as well race in Moto2.

However retiring now has its benefits, and family is important. Rossi is stuck retiring being remembered for a few abysmal seasons on the Duck rather than the glory days of Honda and Yamaha.

Edited by BDBGoalie

He'll be back.

Never agreed with you more.

He's expecting his first kid. I actually appreciate the fact that he's a little bent on seeing the first steps, hearing the first words, etc.

He'll be back in 3 years or less, and I'm betting he won't slow down much, if at all. 3 years of good healthy rest might even make him more of a freak.

Never agreed with you more.

He's expecting his first kid. I actually appreciate the fact that he's a little bent on seeing the first steps, hearing the first words, etc.

He'll be back in 3 years or less, and I'm betting he won't slow down much, if at all. 3 years of good healthy rest might even make him more of a freak.

Maybe, but look what happened to Schumacher. The top tier guys just keep getting better. It seems like it would be hard to compete immediately on returning, and even more so without factory support.

Maybe, but look what happened to Schumacher. The top tier guys just keep getting better. It seems like it would be hard to compete immediately on returning, and even more so without factory support.

With a name like that, I'm sure he would have no problem getting factory support if he came back and showed that he could still run a respectable lap time.

I don't know what happened to him at France though. Rossi was a monster coming up through the ranks and it seemed like Stoner just gave up on the last lap or two. Especially once Rossi got by him, Rossi picked up at least a second by the finish.

With a name like that, I'm sure he would have no problem getting factory support if he came back and showed that he could still run a respectable lap time.

I don't know what happened to him at France though. Rossi was a monster coming up through the ranks and it seemed like Stoner just gave up on the last lap or two. Especially once Rossi got by him, Rossi picked up at least a second by the finish.

Stoner has a better bike than Rossi in good conditions, but rain is the equalizer.

Stoner is my favorite racer and actually got me into gp but I don't see him returning. He will race V8 supercars in the land down under. A lot of people are trying to take away from his skills (in other forums) saying the bike is what makes him. Even if he has the fastest bike anyone that rides knows you can have a faster bike but the best rider usually always wins.

He will have no problem getting a factory ride. My guess is his problem will be choosing which factory ride to take because they all will make an offer.

I'm no Stoner fan, but even I can openly admit that he is the best rider on the best bike. He's great fun to watch if you really just enjoy a tech demo of a GP bike, but he has made for some boring races in the past few seasons. What fun is there in having first place locked down from the start, from a fan perspective? For the entertainment factor alone I'm fine with him leaving.

I'll bet money that he doesn't return to GP racing and instead dabbles in Aussie V8's for a while. He already did a test with a V8 Supercar and loved it, and he'd be able to have all that fun and get to go home to his family every night. Win/win for someone in his situation.