Are the Triumph Speed Triple bikes that good?

OhioBob

Plusses:

+More fun than should be legal on wheels

+torquey motor makes you feel like a hero

+unique bike that won't be mistaken for a cbrgsxrninjawhateverrocketboybike

+brakes on the later models are outstanding

+comfortable enough for 12 hour days on twisty roads

+the sound is beautiful

+single-sided swingarm makes tire changes and cleaning so easy

+an easy 15 more horsepower on the later 200X models can be achieved with the right pipe and a tune. (get's you close to 130 at the wheel).

+free tuning software is available.

Minuses:

-hard to ride it legally. It begs you to use only the rear wheel

-motor is not up to current 1000cc sportbike standards in horsepower

-a total lack of wind protection beats the crap out of you at high speeds (it's naked, duh). Windshield options look stupid, in my opinion.

-the upright riding position that makes it so comfortable is a compromise for sport riding. It feels not-quite-right trying to ride it at a really fast pace.

-the non-R suspension leaves some to be desired. It's adjustable, but for some reason I've never gotten to work quite right yet.

-Odd type of single sided swingarm means you will sometimes run into trouble getting a tire put on and balanced.

- doesn't fare very well in a crash. Be sure to get some protection.

-shifting is a little British feeling

-electrics are a little odd at times- does not like to start hot

Everything he said! I had an 05 and it was the best all around bike I've ever had, and I've had lots of bikes. Just be sure to pull the spark plugs out once a season and put anti seize on them. Also watch what oil you run in it. I put Royal Purple Max Cycle in it and the clutch started to slip (first bike ever this happened with). I had more looks and questions when I pulled up on that then anything else. And yes the new look is hideous...

Harb's Daytona is a sweet bike. Plenty fast and I love the stance. I never had any interest in Triumph but after riding with one it'll be one I consider on the future.

Clip ons change the whole feel of the bike. Inspires tons of confidence,in the twisties but that comfort goes away. I chose comfort myself.

I too think the new bike looks like ass.

Someone needs to design a hybrid handlebar setup for it - telescoping so you can switch between clip-on low or touring-high.

Someone needs to design a hybrid handlebar setup for it - telescoping so you can switch between clip-on low or touring-high.

This exists. Convertibars are a hybrid solutuion, but like anything that offers that much utlility (or can be described as 'hybrid') they are pretty goddamn expensive - 500 bucks for a full, bolt-on-and-ride setup for an 05+ Speed Triple.

Headlights on the new ones are definitely not attractive. What is attractive is the torque curve. It looks like someone drew it with a straightedge & a level. The new "R" model looks technically attractive abiet a little pricy. Get one & report back to us.