Anyone ride a Ural

willr

I believe the sidecar wheel has a shaft to it as well

-VanDy

Depends on the Ural model. Some are 2wd and some are traditional 1wd.

If I didnt think that the Ural would rust apart in a few winters Id consider a 2wd Ural for a winter vehicle. Would handle the snow just fine and I really prefer not driving a car.

Craig

I am looking for other Ural owners on this board.

I don't have a Ural, but I ride / wrench vintage BMWs and wouldn't mind a hack so that's fairly close ;) Much of the tooling / scars / lessons learned overlap so if my limited experience can help in any way let me know.

photo1.jpg

That's funny, I just saw a military style ural on US40 this week. I've heard some "not good" things about them like top speeds of 45mph and parts being hard to get. Over all they are cool looking though and the 2wd aspect makes them even cooler for exploring or unpaved road applications.

I don't have a Ural, but I ride / wrench vintage BMWs and wouldn't mind a hack so that's fairly close ;) Much of the tooling / scars / lessons learned overlap so if my limited experience can help in any way let me know.

photo1.jpg

:eek: holy crap that's a clean Beemer

:bow::bow::bow:

that thing is awesome!!!

thanks guys. it's been long, slow and steady process getting her back on the road where she belongs. I've finally got her to the point where she'll run much longer than my arse can handle it. We've done a few 100+ mile trips already together this summer. And while I'm not (yet) ready to take her cross country, every single run has been better and better.

that said, if you (likely) see me wrenching on her along the side of some ohio back-road don't be shy - feel free to stop! ;)

--e

I hit a back alley the other day and spotted one partially covered with a tarp, it was olive drab with ammo cans for hard bags. Haven't seen it on the street yet but the tarp was blown off one side and it looked good at least on that side.

Sorry I did not check back in sooner, out of town.

I have the bavarian classic as pictured, it is not 2 wheel drive. Mine is a 2000my with no rust and except for the tank have not heard of anyone having rust problems.

erimille very nice beemer.

as far as speed, i do somewhere over 60 with sidecar and something over 70 without. speedometer does't really tell you how fast just that your going. ya kinda rely on surrounding traffic, if you don't get run over, you are somewhere near the speed limit.

There are a couple of dealers that carry the older model parts and the 'new' Ural company is pretty reliable.

Sorry I did not check back in sooner, out of town.

I have the bavarian classic as pictured, it is not 2 wheel drive. Mine is a 2000my with no rust and except for the tank have not heard of anyone having rust problems.

erimille very nice beemer.

There is rust concerns for normal operation, for which I'm sure that a modern Ural works perfectly fine.

And then there is what happens if you try to use a vehicle throughout a Cleveland winter. :eek:

A winter in Cleveland involves much slush and tons of salt. Modern autos do OK but bicycles and older autos are eaten rapidly by the combination. I would not want to subject a fairly expensive motorcycle to the test. :D

Craig

• 1 year later...

I'd buy one in a flash if I had room to store it. I always thought they were cool and I did see a few running around Cleveland when I was there. None so far in New England which has been a surprise.

Sent from the shitter using Tapatalk 2