New S/S helmet 1500 series

Beegreenstrings

Swung by the pony yesterday and snagged a new lid. Really liked the ones with the flip down visors. Kept searching through the mass of lids and finally got the flat black, off the chain? S/S helmet. Pretty cool, even has a pump in it to take up the just not so right space, if anyone else has that.

I love it, no complaints so far.

Wife is going to Atlantic City with her parents Friday and Saturday. I will be at the Pony Saturday morning for the exact same reason. Time for a new lid. And yea, the flip down visors rock. I have had one for the last couple of years and they are great.

I always try to get the SNELL rated helmets and I believe that the ones with the flip down visors do not pass their impact tests. Thus I just use sunglasses under my helmet.

In the past, most of the flip down visors were on the modular helmets which don't get SNELL. But there are full face solid helmets that have the visor now and do get SNELL approval. The Scorpion EXO-1000 for example is SNELL approved.

Really? I had no idea. A guy at IP told me yesterday that the portion of the helmet that had to be hollowed out for the visor to retract into, automatically made the helmet not SNELL.

Naw. The three testing agencies all test the same way, just different standards...but SNELL has one additional test. They all measure how much force is transfered from the impact to the head. SNELL uses a bigger impact test in most cases. The additional test SNELL does is a chin impact distortion test....how much does the chin area move when it is hit. That is why modular helmets fail the SNELL test. Although one did just pass it.

The visor cut out is not a deal killer by itself, as long as that area passes the impact test it passes the test.

Disclaimer: The above is a general description, it is not exact.