Maybe moving to Michigan?

Ziggy

Applied for a new job yesterday, and hoping someone can give me some insight into the area I'm looking at. The new job will take me to the Sterling Heights area, just North of Detroit. I know Detriot is a proverbial excrement filled void, but the rest of the state seems to be pretty beautiful. Anyone have firsthand experience with the area?

My condolences

Have a friend that lives somewhere near Sterling Hts and he doesn't mind it so much. He's from Toledo though which might as well be almost as bad as Detroit

With that particular area no, but the rest of the state is indeed very nice - especially over in west michigan.

also be ready to drive faster on the highway with much less patrol and patrons mindful of the left hand passing lane... cruise 80-85 over here no problems.

I grew up just east of there, in New Baltimore. My advice if you are going to work in Sterling Heights live east or north of there. I would suggest east. Out towards Anchor Bay/Lake St. Clair. New Baltimore is still an awesome town, Chesterfield. Or go North of Sterling Heights. Feel free to ask about area's as you look.

As for roads, Southern Michigan is straight and flat. But go 2 to 3 hours north and it is awesome.

My advice if you are going to work in Sterling Heights live east or north of there. I would suggest east. Out towards Anchor Bay/Lake St. Clair. New Baltimore is still an awesome town, Chesterfield. Or go North of Sterling Heights.

I've heard this before... If I get the job, I plan on trying to find a place with 5-10 acres out in the sticks somewhere. I live in a subdivision right now and having to deal with the HOA blows. Know anything about the schools in the area? My kids will be in the 7th and 4th grades next year, and I'd really like to make sure they're getting the best education I can afford. I'll happily look at smaller houses in order to get into a better school district.

go blue
Straight flat roads. People drive 85+ on the freeway, but 25-30 on backroads
With that particular area no, but the rest of the state is indeed very nice - especially over in west michigan.

also be ready to drive faster on the highway with much less patrol and patrons mindful of the left hand passing lane... cruise 80-85 over here no problems.

Yep, make it up past Clare and its God's country, especially over by Traverse City.
I grew up just east of there, in New Baltimore. My advice if you are going to work in Sterling Heights live east or north of there. I would suggest east. Out towards Anchor Bay/Lake St. Clair. New Baltimore is still an awesome town, Chesterfield. Or go North of Sterling Heights. Feel free to ask about area's as you look.

As for roads, Southern Michigan is straight and flat. But go 2 to 3 hours north and it is awesome.

All of this.

I grew up in MI..from Saginaw, Ann Arbor, Flint, Grand Blanc, Ypsilanti....etc. Wished I had spent more time near Traverse City and a little north of the bay, but when you're young, all you wanna do is head south towards Detroit.

Good luck.