Cop took my gun during traffic stop

wicked94s10

So I got pulled over in missouri two days ago. Missouri is a state that honors my ohio ccw so I informed the officer I had my gun in my tank bag. Nothing new I have been pulled over many times with my ccw. The thing that was different this time is the officer made me open my tank bag and he took my gun . So the cop took my gun, ccw permit, drivers license, and insurance card to his car. Later he comes back and gives me my licenses and insurance card back, then he issued me a ticket. Not till after I signed my ticket and was ready to leave did he slide my gun back into my tank bag. Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

Its legal to do in Ohio. The officer must return the firearm in the same condition it was taken from you. Iirc Cleveland was taking them, field stripping and returning a bag of pieces. Courts put a stop to that.

I've never seen it happen but have heard of it happening.

Its legal to do in Ohio. The officer must return the firearm in the same condition it was taken from you. Iirc Cleveland was taking them, field stripping and returning a bag of pieces. Courts put a stop to that.

I've never seen it happen but have heard of it happening.

I could see them taking it for their own safety, but at least tell me I will get it back when we are finished and not in 20 pieces. That's just ridiculous.

I have only been pulled over twice with my ccw. Once on the bike which the park ranger was a tool. The other the officer just asked my to keep my hands on the steering wheel.

I would have just kept going if it was a park ranger. They are ass holes who think they are cops but don't have any actual authority other than they can call the real cops on you.

Im not really a gun guy but support the right to carry, but also believe in leo safety. You did the right thing informing the officer you were carrying, perhaps it is Missouri procedure to hold the firearm until the stop is completed. no harm no foul, it wasnt like you needed it while pulled over anyway.

Im sure it is a safety rule for the officer, but what is fucked up is that the people with a ccw are generally law abiding citizens and quick to let an officer know they are armed for the leo's safety. it is the thugs carrying illegally that might be a danger to an leo, but of course they would never tell the officer and be armed for the entire stop. I assume you are a law abiding citizen; so don't stress about giving an officer a few minutes of stress free time when making a traffic stop. sucks you got a ticket, but don't speed and it wont be an issue. :)

• Upvote 1

Plus' date=' if you're in a national park, you're dealing with a federal agent.[/quote']

No, I am talking about the local metro park rangers, the guys who drive around little '95 rangers, no national parks.

I've posted it before, but I've only been pulled over once while carrying.

Not necessarily! I was pulled over once while carrying and living in Indiana, I informed him even though not required. Honestly he seemed to appreciate knowing that I was armed and simply asked where it was and told me to keep my hands in plane sight. He knew I had a permit when he ran the plate I'm guessing though. As the officer was running my license 2 college cops pulled behind him blocking the main drag with guns drawn. The trooper told them multiple times that he had it under control. The moron campus cops were just waving their guns around and I still have no idea why the blocked the main drag when I purposefully pulled onto a side street as to not block traffic and for the officer's safety.

I have only had one other interaction with an officer after a minor accident last year in s parking lot. I we out of the car already informed the officer (boardman, oh PD) and he didn't care. I handed him my license and CHL he immediatly gave me back my CHL. He was very profrssional.

Each state has different laws, basically you just follow the officer's direction. Now field stripping a firearm is stupid, dangerous, and not needed.

^ this. Park rangers are cops.

Tell a cop that! I expect they'll laugh. Rangers have the authority to ticket, but I don't believe they have near the depth of training as full blown police officers.

And unless I'm mistaken, their jurisdiction to ticket is limited to park lands. So they're kind of like cops, but cops who patrol a municipality with a population of 0 humans, 10,000 deer, 2,000 skunks, etc.

The entire reason for the 2nd amendment is to protect yourslef against government tyranny. It's time we stop talking about carrying and actually put them to their intended use.

Edited by ped

I agree that securing the weapon is most likely not necessary' date=' I wouldn't exactly call it "tyranny". Please note, I'm the first person to spout off about police over-reaching. I think the notify law is not necessary. Lots of states don't require you to notify, and they seem to have a shortage of dead cops.[/quote']

i dont see why we have to notify anyways..... 1. it shows up on our license plates anyways 2. if we are up to no good we arent going to notify regardless of the law, and if we arent up to no good then we obviously arent a threat to the cop anyways

Tell a cop that! I expect they'll laugh. Rangers have the authority to ticket, but I don't believe they have near the depth of training as full blown police officers.

And unless I'm mistaken, their jurisdiction to ticket is limited to park lands. So they're kind of like cops, but cops who patrol a municipality with a population of 0 humans, 10,000 deer, 2,000 skunks, etc.

Cleveland Metro park rangers are LEO's sworn in under Ohio law and can issue tickets and if necessary handcuff you and arrest you if this happens to you in the North Chagrin reservation you will end up Mayfield jail and in Lyndhurst municipal court trust me on this